[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just apply to indeed/monster.com if you're looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: image.gif (344 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
344 KB, 500x600
>just apply to indeed/monster.com if you're looking for a job, anon!
>>
File: 1456350443395.jpg (294 KB, 1200x2048) Image search: [Google]
1456350443395.jpg
294 KB, 1200x2048
I average one interview for every 100 applications submitted. Is this about normal for everyone else?
>>
>>1157595
Also you'd have a better chance with going through on-campus recruiting since you'll just be competing with your fellow students and not the entire region
>>
>>1157719

I've already graduated from grad school, and career services isn't doing shit for me. Does this still apply?
>>
>>1157712
You're not tailoring your resume to the job.
>>
File: Apples.gif (993 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
Apples.gif
993 KB, 500x400
>>1157769
alumni assoc

http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p

Sounds like you need two programs overnight resume makeover and How to find your dreamjob

Links can be found in the files titled
HireMePlz
&
TripleMaximumWageSlave

Jdownloader is my preferred DDLM but feel free to use another.
>>
youre already behind the game if you have to look for a job. Your experience and network connections should have carried you to success by now. Go to Home Depot and buy rope.
>>
>>1157787

I bet you're one of those people that believes that walking into the hiring manager's office and giving them a nice strong handshake will instantly land you a job.
>>
Where else am I supposed to look for jobs? God damn
>>
>>1157803
I did the monster bit a decade ago. Total crap shoot then, probably more so now. Seriously, my hit rate was probably 1 in 300. Everybody wants experienced experts, nobody wants to train or take a chance on a bright kid, same old same old.

Take a civil service test. You can sign up online. Assuming you pass, they actually mail you job postings. It's not glamorous and knuckledraggers will hate you but it's steady.
>>
You lads ever think of going through a temp agency? It's shit work but at least you're making some coins.
>>
>>1157712
More like 1 in 15 for me. Bur I go for the low hanging fruit so
>>
>>1157595

> applying online
> worth doing ever
>>
>>1157813

I posted my resume on there, and I've been contacted by nothing but marketing and financial agencies. Shame, because I just graduated with my MSW and want fuck all to do with that.
>>
>>1157595
1/100 interviews is rly bad, you need to fix your resume big time
>>
>>1157712
For jobs in general that I have almost zero experience with, I get about 1 interview out of 20 that I apply to. For jobs in fields where I have significant experience, then it's about 1 in 5.

>>1157803
craigslist has about 1 real job for every 5-10 job postings, but it's worth a look, especially if you are desperate. lots of jobs that pay under-the-table too. reddit has job sections for many major metro areas, if not just check the local reddit. there are other job boards too like stack overflow careers, dice.com, but those are more for IT jobs.

a friend of mine mass spammed his resume / cover letter to a bunch of local places and got a few interviews.

you gotta meet more people though...that's how i got my current job.

>>1157822
i tried but never had any success, but they seem to work for alot of people.
>>
>>1157983
>>1157831
>>1157779

I've had my resume critiqued by my career services advisor so I guess it is about me not tailoring my resume to specific jobs. Its weird though, I apply to all sorts of finance positions but have only gotten interest from really good companies maybe because my masters overqualifies me for smaller-time companies too
>>
>>1157595
does anyone really apply online anymore? that was mostly a thing like 10 years ago. you might as well throw your resume into a river and hope it finds its way to your dream job employer.

go to networking events. if there are none, start a company that does networking events, wow you just made millions of dollars in your first 5 years. other than that, every school has advisers and mentors and shit, but if you're trying to go in cold then you will have to physically go to the front desk, ask to see the supervisor/manager/CEO of the team you want to work with, and try to get a meeting.

if you just want a mcjob or like sales then yeah you can start with wasting your time online but follow up with an email or phone call. from 16 to 21 every random job i got was because i sent an email asking if they were considering me for the position. this shit is job seeking 101 i suggest going back to class faggot, you'd have to be retarded not to see where they are.
>>
>just make an okcupid/tinder account anon!
>just make a mint account anon!
>.15% is nothing, just put all your savings in an online account for 1% anon!
>>
>>1157712
entirely depends on your field and experience level.

as an entry level person with a useless degree looking to get into a creative field in nyc (steady film jobs), ive gotten 1 call in 100 applications.
>>
Any 2:2's here?

How fucked am I?
>>
>>1158372

Tinder is actually really easy though, lol.
>>
>>1157595
Nobody lists good jobs on Monster.com because every good job is specialized and employers only get unqualified candidates on Monster.

If you actually have solid skills that you've specialized in then you should apply directly to any of the numerous job sites specifically for you industry.
>>
>>1158862
As if Dice is any better. Have you seen IT postings? Must know 50 languages, 100 proprietary in house applications, 8 ft tall, able to fit in a suitcase, have 20 degrees, and already live in the company's abandoned warehouse down by the river.
>>
I was headhunted on Indeed an hour after I signed up. No shit.

Turned out to be recruiter for Apple in Cork. Wow! I thought, I must be real hot shit.

Nope, got offered the job. Turns out it wasn't for Apple at all, but a subcontractor to Apple. You wouldn't get Apple benefits, wouldn't have any chance of promotion within Apple, wouldn't be able to list Apple on your resume. Also, good old shit Apple pay (you're paid less because you're working for [CURRENT BRAND] and apparently that extends to contractors).

But to top it off, I get the contract by accident since they originally wanted me to give verbal acceptance without seeing the contract (lol no) and it turns out I would be working with them on a self-employed basis. As in, I would be a contractor to a contractor.

There were so many other things fucked up about it too...

Job sites are shit. Starting a business is the only way, famille.
>>
>>1157712
mine was about one in 30, but yours sounds fairly normal to me.
>>
>>1158049
I actually got my current job online (one year ago last week). But it does seem weird to have found a job that way.
>>
>>1158049
The job I have right now I got online, and they only accept applications online.

But... It is just part time while at college and retail so probably different than what you are trying to get.
>>
>>1157712

Holy lack of leg day batman
>>
My experience is that businesses too incompetent to have a proper online application will hire anyone who applies.
My first job was at a burger stand. I suspect that all the other jobs I had applied for that day digitally trashed me for not having proper experience. I was surprised to find a business for whom the application was simply a section to upload your resume.

My coworkers were criminals and dullards who called me every other day to pick up a shift because they were on drugs etc. It was during the recession though so i was happy to have some money. But I digress.

So yeah don't use Monster unless you actually have the credentials to get hired
>>
>>1158851
really easy to fuck a fat poor single mom
>>
File: notice.jpg (132 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
notice.jpg
132 KB, 900x800
I applied for a job at my local cinema after I saw a notice requesting a part-time worker.

This seems perfect for me. I have an avid interest in all things multimedia, a college degree in film+television production, and have attended this cinema over 100 times in 2012-2013.

I'm in crisis-mode at this time in life. Totally broke, don't have one Euro. I'm not receiving state benefits. My family, relatives, and friends have outcast me. I need a fucking job in short. I've applied to all the local shops without success, but this seems it's gotta be it.

I sent them an email about a week ago, but have yet to receive any word back from them.
I just want your feedback. Did I fuck up the email?
>>
File: email.jpg (126 KB, 818x465) Image search: [Google]
email.jpg
126 KB, 818x465
>>1160139
Here's the email.

All the info stated is true.
>>
I like Career Builder because they give you the depressing statistics before you send your resume in.

>Entry level job
>5+ applicants averaging 5+ years experience and a Masters degree

>Blue collar level job
>99+ applicants averaging 2+ years experience and a Bachelors degree

It's already depressing that the company wants you to have all these certifications and years of experience with multiple industry software suites and shit just to be Assistant to the Assistant Manager of Forklift Driving. But now we see that overqualified people are having to take the hit and apply for jobs beneath themselves.

It's a race to the bottom.
>>
>>1160144
>>1160139
You completely fucked up. Go to your local library, hospital or any state funded building and print out a stack of resumes. There is a whole welfare office even in Zambia that can help you print things out. You know what the cost is to them to print out 30 sheets of paper? Way less than your income tax will give them.
What's even more confusing is you are broke but you are on the internet. Does that mean you have an apartment, or did you actually go to a library for free internet?
You spend more to go to that movie theater than to print 20 resumes out.

"I'm too poor to print" sounds like "I'm too lazy to follow simple instructions for this menial labor job where I am required to follow simple instructions."

And any half sane manager would wonder how you found an email address instead of just coming in or calling the manager to schedule a meeting.

Emails are made to relay quick information, not to start a conversation.
>>
>>1157595
They went through a phase of calling me on a weekly basis about jobs worse than the one I was trying to get out of.
Minimum wage, zero hours contract shit.
>>
>have phone interview just now for a purely data entry job at a huge corporate leasing office
>recruiter asks me about experience
>I most recently worked at a small financial advisory place processing paperwork and trying to drive sales
>tell her that I enjoyed the processing more than the sales and am looking for something along those lines
>"so what you're saying is you failed"
>Well I failed in half of my responsibilities but succeeded in the other half
>"Well you're still a failure, why would we hire a failure?"
>getting irritated, tell her that I assume a lease processing job would play more to my strengths
>"There's no such thing as a non-sales job! Even in this role you'd have to sell US on the quality of YOUR spreadsheets and I just don't think a failure like you could do that! You're certainly not doing a good job selling me on you!"
>Completely dumbfounded, and clearly not getting an interview, tell her that I clearly don't want her shitty job and to go fuck herself

Did I screw up /biz/?
>>
My friend said to post my resume on indeed and monster. Is he full of shit? Accounting BS. (I'll do it anyway because it can't hurt.) I have a linkedin and nothing happened.

>>1160184

I print at the library and it costs 5-10 cents a page depending what library. Why own a printer and fuck with ink and shit when you can print a fucking book for five dollars?
>>
>>1160207
Possibly. Depending on the prestige of said company.
HR is a big circle-jerk, and despite laws against it she will probably tell her buddys about "the rude failure who cant speak on the phone."
>>
>>1160184
>Go to your local library, hospital or any state funded building and print out a stack of resumes.
This is good advice. Thanks.
>did you actually go to a library for free internet?
Free WiFi outside a hotel.
>You spend more to go to that movie theater than to print 20 resumes out.
Haven't gone to the cinema in over a year. That 100 times was 3-4 years ago.

The rest of your post I'll accept.
>>
>>1160139
>>1160144

Your interest in movies is actually not relevant in a cinema. You are there to generate sales and probably clean.

Don't say you're broke.
Don't state your age.
>away from the public eye
Lost you the job again.
>I have much experience
Grammar is important

Just a few pointers friend.
Make sure to tailor your CV and Cover Letter if you use one for each job, even if its picking up dog shit.

Get your STAR answers and Elevator pitch up to standard then smash any interview.
Good luck.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.