[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/, I fucked up I was contacted recently via email about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Dante_Alighieri_2.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Dante_Alighieri_2.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
Hey /biz/, I fucked up

I was contacted recently via email about a travel coordinator job, and stupidly I agreed to sign on. All I did was type my name into a PDF document (a "contract," but it had no legal binding), and now I am unable to get out of the arrangement. The scam involves the "company" mailing you hot checks that you're supposed to cash and send back a portion of, the bit that you keep being your "income."

This scammer has no personal information of mine besides my name and address (which they received from a resume prior to contacting me, they listed my address before even asking me).

They have not sent anything yet, but I am worried that they'll send me a check and I won't know what to do with it. I have emailed the guy repeatedly today and called him leaving two voicemails, all of which are requesting resignation, a termination to the agreement, and a cease and desist with all future communication.

They do not have my bank information, social, or anything private besides my name and address.

In the chance that they send me a check, am I screwed? Could legal action be taken against me for simply mailing the check back or ignoring it?

How do I get out of this? I'm freaking out even though again, they have absolutely no access to my information beyond name and address. I do not want to be wrangled into a lawsuit or something more serious.

Thank you in advance.
>>
Online signatures matter, writing your name on a .pdf does not.

Enjoy being sent free toilet paper.
>>
>>1155392
Thank you so much, this cleared my head a lot.
He just replied with a really nasty email, but I'm assuming everything is alright.
>>
>>1155395
While the e-mail is most likely a bluff using guilt manipulation strategies, there are some dangers of having your full name and address exposed, e.g. doxxing variations if someone is particularly vengeful. Unlikely, but bear it in mind. Meanwhile,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2BNsMSwEo
>>
>>1155404
The email was literally "Oh fuck you asshole" and nothing since
>>
>>1155395
post it
>>
>>1155411
see
>>1155409
>>
Are you serious?
A scammer wants to send you hot checks to cash,
And you are worried about legal action against you?
You think a money launderer is gonna sue you?
That's what this scam is, he wants you to launder money = illegal
Report him to Interpol FFS, or threaten to, or say you have, depending how ballsy you feel.
>>
>>1155418
I understand, but until I do something, I'm safe right?
If I just ignore the hot check and do literally nothing, he can't do anything against me right?
>>
>>1155409
Lmao, sorry OP, but seems to me like you're dealing with a professional; expect a lawsuit and a dead horse's head to your door very soon.

[spoiler] Relax, nigga. [/spoiler]
>>
Legalbro here. Even saying yes without signing anything has legal consequences. Where do you fucks get the idea from that contracts arent binding if it's digital?

Anyway, it sounds like you're used for money laundering. Enjoy your prison.
>>
But to answer your question. You should mail them, cancel your contract and say you want nothing to do with it. And if they send you a cheque you'll after this date you'll consider it a gift. That should keep them from sending it to you. Of course if you do receive it you'll just send it back on request as a registered letter.
>>
>>1155456
*you'll say that if they send it after this date
>>
>>1155442
>>1155456
>>1155459
I requested termination of all contracts, agreements, and communications earlier before receiving his "oh fuck you asshole" reply, so I'm going to assume he won't send anything and will hopefully leave me alone. He hasn't replied or called since, no overt threats, so I'm not particularly worried.
>>
>>1155420
NO DUDE.

This is a fucking scam .

Call the FBI right now and ask them about this "job", they'll say there's been thousands of these and it's nothing more than money laundering.

What they do is:

Best case scenario: they get you to cash checks then wire then the money(the money is fraudulent), you then have to send them money back and they let you keep a portion of it. If you don't send it back in time you get on the hook for stolen money

OR, the checks bounce and money gets overdrawn from your account

Basically say "No thank you" and stop replying, maybe report to FBI but they're usually in some 3rd world country.
>>
>>1155579
Oh just read OP, ok it's exactly what I thought it was.

This is illegal money, basically they're going to pressure you to send it ASAP because if you take too long you lose the money.

The checks he will send you will be <$10k because that's the minimum amount to raise flags.

Don't do this op. You probably won't get jail time because this is a popular trick and a lot of prolje fall for it BUT you will get investigated extensively and the money you make will he ceased.
>>
>>1155592
So I'll be okay by just ignoring the messages? Again, I have not received anything in the mail, no checks, no one knows bank/social information, nothing.
>>
>>1155579
Well op?

Basically he's mad you didn't make him ~$10k

But tons of people flake, it's not like he goes after all of them and sends a hitman lol

Plus money launderers generally aren't known to be friendly people anyway.

Hope you're doing ok, best of luck.
>>
>>1155605
Yes man. This is illegal money launderering.

He lives in a third world country.

His "company" does not exist. There is no legal document.

Tell this to the FBI and they'll say 100% same thing I said.

Call them right now and ask if you want.
>>
>>1155605
Basically don't worry bro. I know how you feel, it's definitely scary but nothing bad will happen, report it to FBI maybe if you want, not much will come of it though.
>>
>>1155390
>Gee I wonder what could go wrong
>>
>Gee some sketchy guy wants to mail me so checks, I wonder what would happen if I cashed them
>>
>year 2016 teen.

How do you get your self into a situation like this? Here's what you do, go here and learn how to turn this around on the scammer:

http://www.419eater.com/

Also: all you shills are on the same level as this scammer, in my mind.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.