[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Accounting or Economics? Financies? What degree should i do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: finanzas-2.jpg (73 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
finanzas-2.jpg
73 KB, 1280x853
Accounting or Economics? Financies?

What degree should i do? in my country being an acountant is a great job and well paid but don't know in another countrys,here being an Economic is harder to be well paid

I could study accounting and do a master in financies,im lost
>>
Im not sure about accounting because i want to move out to another country,Australia seems a good place and accountants are well paid there too..but that is far away from now.
>>
>>1154647
Of the three, accounting is the only one that leads to a sure job. But at the introductory level the job is tedious and you're expected to do 3000 of it.

You should say what country you are from. If a accounting bba would transfer over to Australia, I'd do that. But you haven't specified.
>>
Accounting will always be useful in any way related to money.

>personal finance at home
>your job
>a business you start

knowing accounting is never a bad thing.
>>
>>1154672

I know that im going to be safe if i choose accounting because there is always demand of it and in my country (Argentina) is well paid but i don't expect to be always here,but in other countrys like USA economics are paid much more than accountants and i don't want to work tons of hours for a shitty money,i should look which are the countrys were accountants are well paid or economist,
>>
>>1154647
CFA
>>
File: 1458552783580.jpg (7 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
1458552783580.jpg
7 KB, 250x248
>FINANCIES
>>
Which qualification would you recommend to a Maths with Stats graduate doing a Stats master's next year.

CFA (Financial Analyst)

CAA (Actuary)

ACCA (Accountant)

P.hD Quantitative Finance or Statistics (Quantitative Analyst/Research Role)

I really don't know what to do, reading some 'Corporate Finance' and 'Investments' textbooks. I envy the 18 year olds that have clear vision of what to do in their lives...

>inb4 "You're not passionate enough to ever land a Finance job and kill yourself"
>>
>>1155029
Be a certified non-virgin along with all that other stuff next year.
>>
>>1155039
Prostitutes fix that.
>>
>>1155029

I think Financial analyst is good,depends which country you are in,anyway im still in doubt about what is better for me,going to search more
>>
>>1155029
Hi,
MsFin here.
It depends on the kind of work you want to do. Almost each cert has its "segment" of work.
Since you seems mathematicaly driven, I would not recommend to go to accounting (acca) (leave that to biz majors crawling the market). Capitalize on what you have. Finance/Actuary is a natural follow up of math degrees in my country (currently working with some math majors).
Again, it depends on what you want to do. Dont do cert for the sake of doing certs. You should have vision and a consistent drive.
Also, you should have work experience to get certified. Dont hesitate to work in the field before certify. Also, experience is far more important than a cert, but after some years in the field, you should get certified or you are left on the side for the rest of your career. Imho, certs are not for starters ( I assume you got no work exp). Although CFA level 1 is often done by starters.
Hope that helps.
>>
>>1155029

I'm in pretty much the same degree/situation as you. Only difference is I want to get into brokering so I got to pass even more exams after my degree is over

Stats is usually a very 'analyst' sort of thing though
>>
>>1155761
>I-is this constructive advice? O-on 4chan?

I'm the guy. I know you need 48 months of experience before you can add CFA to your name, but does passing all 3 levels first time in 18 months give you unwritten bragging rights?

As my exams will be in June, I might prepare for Level 1 in December. Will strengthen my future applications if anything, maybe an interview here and there. Thanks for info.

P.S. How was your GMAT?

>>1155776
What's your plan at the moment?
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 350x291) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 350x291
>>1155813

Well I'm lucky in that I have a scholarship kind of deal that backs me for an internship when I graduate, and from there I'd be hoping the firm would employ me and help with exam costs (best case)

Worst case is I pay for the exams myself and hope to use the internship/experience to leverage myself a position somewhere.

I mean, it seems right now more brokers are needed than there are around. Doesn't feel like too many new faces want into corporate finance these days tbhfam
>>
>>1155837
>Doesn't feel like too many new faces want into corporate finance these days tbhfam

Well, a lot of faces want into 'Investment Banking'. Most of my finance buddies. Doesn't make it a good choice tbhfam. I'm quite interested into /Quant/ positions though, and CFA seems to be standard knowledge about the capital markets, etc. Touches on every single topic (although, not in depth).

I haven't looked into any of the other certs materials.

Anyway, hope it works out for you, lad, sounds good.
>>
>>1155813
Yes, CFA level 1 seems a good option for you. But dont rush do all level as fast as possible. Consider other things such as networking and presentation (dress well, speak well, do powerpt presentations like business majors etc...). Engineers and scientific tend to criticize business for their lack of math skills in uni but when on the job, they seem to know nothing about what is going on. (Business world)
Study markets, companies, products, peoples, news,... you will be able to leverage it one day somehow. Also remember that appareances are important. It is stupid and unfair, but the corporate world is full of stupid people. You just need to outplay them. ;-) I am a consultant if you havent guessed already. Best job after IB imo. :-)
gmat dont apply in my country. But i guess i would have a decent score ( not a top one).
Also I changed 4 times of career since begin uni if that can reasssure you. :-) you dont know until you try it.
Best of luck
>>
>>1155934
I already lift and have a skin routine, but I dress like a fucking hobo. I've even gone to morning lectures in sweatpants and hoodies, while the finance buddies are always looking top notch. I take it you need to fit in with the culture, something I'll need to learn. IB doesn't appeal to me at all. It's not even about the money, I enjoy crunching numbers.

Thanks for tips, lad. Best of luck in your ventures.
>>
>>1154647
If you do Econ, you need to get a Phd. Accounting is the safest bet for undergrad only. Finance undergrad is higher risk but higher potential rewards.
>>
>>1155951

Im 18 and starting uni,accounting is the safest but isn't like a shitty job or something like that? plus in other countrys i don't know what is better,i like economy and all but there is not well paid jobs unless you go to a big company in USA or something like that
>>
I'm studying Business Studies, I'd have liked to do Economics but I'm probably not smart enough
>>
>>1155946
what's your skin routine
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.