[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What classes teach basics of investing and trading in college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 8c7.jpg (80 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
8c7.jpg
80 KB, 600x582
What classes teach basics of investing and trading in college or where can I learn the ins and outs of the stock market? I want to do some active investing for spare money in college but I don't know where to start.

3 grand starting.
>>
Bump for Interest.
>>
Posted details in a similar thread gonna post email here.

>Woops forgot to finish that,
>I have 3000 dollars I want to invest.
>I'm going to college soon too, same boat as op.
>I have no business or investing experience and I want to learn myself techniques to be successful and get some spending money for a nicer car than my old camry.
>Where can I learn the basics of investing?
>>
youtube
>>
>>1154444
A Corporate Finance text and then a valuation text. Then do research on important factors & specific ratios that are relevant to the sector you are looking at.

Then make gains. Anything else is gambling, or killed by commissions.

If you want to yolo though, Robinhood is the best option.
>>
Take professor Shkreli's classes.
>>
>>1154496
The "wu tang clan man" Skireli?
>>
>>1154498
Yup, he's pretty fucking smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARrNYyJEnFI

I think he's up to 7 parts, I'm on 4.
>>
>>1154409
Dough.com
Tastytrade.com

but understand finance first.
>>1154494
>>
Classes don't tend to teach you how to pick stocks. Professors have a good job, they're not going to lose it by telling you which stocks to buy.

Some finance classes will teach you valuation models.
Some accounting classes will teach you what earnings reports mean.
Some economics courses will teach you market cycles.

The most information you would get about directly using the stock market on campus would be in a paper trading stock club.

The actual college degree that would get you a job trading stocks would be mathematics.

Otherwise just make sure you take introductory classes in macroeconomics and finance. There's accounting theory classes that are helpful, but usually require multiple accounting prerequisites.
>>
>>1154494
Recommendations on good ones for beginners and not to heavy on financial jargon?
>>
>>1154517
Compsci major.

Also colleges have stock markets? What?
>>
>>1154520
Most colleges have a stock trading club. Each term every member gets an equal amount of 'money' to invest, and the member at the end of the term with the most gains wins a prize. There's usually finance and economics instructors around to guide discussion during meetings.

If you haven't already, you should really look into what clubs are offered at your college. Toastmasters or public speaking clubs, some volunteer stuff if you don't have a job and DECA help your resume a lot.
>>
>>1154523
Would it typically just be populated with business majors/professors who know more about the intricacies of economics that me? And is there entry fees? I would assume so.
>>
>>1154527
Normally clubs like this are funded through your student union. The only real costs are getting access to college facilities during off hours, so they're essentially free for the college, and the people that run it get to pad their resume. I really can't say more because I don't know what you're individual college does. If you're interested, look them up, there's probably a student union with a list of clubs website.

These clubs mostly attract business students. But don't think they're at more of an advantage than you. Bill Ackman is a billionaire investor, you would think he knows his stuff. But his net worth has decreased by 25% over the last 6 months. If there is some form of contest, the winner is usually some guy who goes on a long shot like a leveraged index fund or penny stock. I find it's more important to just learn to note market trends, than winning anything. It's not like sports where people are just always better at it. Even if you lose a bunch of fake money, there will probably be someone who lost more.

And if you want to get some good textbooks on a subject, just go to your campus bookstore. Note the titles that are being used in specific courses. They're usually the 10th edition. Just buy the 5th edition on amazon for $5, and go to the instructor and ask for a course syllabus, saying you're interested in taking it next term.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-21-17-23-28.jpg (678 KB, 1440x1263) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-21-17-23-28.jpg
678 KB, 1440x1263
1. Go through pic related textbooks (3k+ pages that need to sink in, so give it time)
2. Read a financial newspaper for 3-6 months, e.g. The Economist.
3. Lurk zerohedge and wallstreetoasis for 3+ months
4. Make some success with a trading simulator while you're learning, e.g. Forex
5. Make some success with arbitrary amount of cash you can afford to lose, e.g. 1,000USD

6. Thank me later. Btw if you're gonna do this seriously, be confident in your craft (but don't gamble)
>>
>>1154496

Even though his classes are only in exciatance for political and attention reasons.

Who the fuck actually has the sec has their homepage?

Come on bro. You're stupid for even taking his "lessons" seriously.
>>
>>1154409
Quite possibly the dankest image that was ever made.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.