[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Goodafternoon/Night Biz I have goal to ultimately obtain my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: military-student.jpg (119 KB, 1162x759) Image search: [Google]
military-student.jpg
119 KB, 1162x759
Goodafternoon/Night Biz

I have goal to ultimately obtain my MBA from a UC or Private University in Socal. I will be graduating soon with my degree. I've noticed most the programs require a 3-5 year gap, where you acquire experience before applying into a MBA program.

Had an enlightening Idea,
>Enter Officer Program in the Military
>Do your 5 year program on active duty
>"management experience"
>Military pays for Masters
>save up shit load of capital

Any Nay Sayers or cons? also Getting my MBA is a partly a personal goal, I know most on this board discount the worth of an MBA, but research argues the return on getting your MBA when its from a top tier school.
>>
File: 1456881878841.jpg (95 KB, 460x638) Image search: [Google]
1456881878841.jpg
95 KB, 460x638
shameless bumparoo
>>
>>1150905
I'm in the same boat with you OP. Get out after your initial commitment and get your MBA. You will be extremely marketable in your late 20s with military management experience and an MBA from a Top 20. Save as much money as possible while on active. I am stationed at Ft Polk paying $250 a month for rent and investing the rest. You will need this money to survive the massive pay cut while getting your MBA. Being an officer is a great gig. Only downslide is getting stationed in shitholes in Louisiana or Iraq.

http://militarymba.net/schools-and-programs/best-value-mba-programs.html

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/7-reasons-why-you-more-marketable-than-your-officer-john-zornick?trk=hp-feed-article-title-share
>>
im interested in OCS

how competitive is it these days?

and what is the deal with having ADHD?
>>
>>1151029
>https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/7-reasons-why-you-more-marketable-than-your-officer-john-zornick?trk=hp-feed-article-title-share
may I ask what branch you are in, and Do you have to take the ASVAB for OCS?
>>
>>1151053
I branched Military Intelligence out of ROTC.

Not sure what the exact standardized testing is for OCS. The hardest part is passing all the medical exams and background checks. If you already have a degree, go talk to a recruiter. However, active duty OCS is very competitive. DO NOT fall for the National Guard or Reserves meme.
>>
>>1151046
ADHD is a no go. That being said, your civilian medical records are private. The military does not have access to your civilian medical record unless you release it to them. IE don't be a pussy when they try to gestpo you into telling them your entire medical history. All you ever had was chicken pox.
>>
>>1151125
I know OCS for Coast Guard is extremely competitive and that is my desired Branch.
I hear the recruiters push for enlistment rather than OCS for some reason though. Must be some sort of initiative for recruitment.
anyway, any tips before I go speak to a recruiter and he lays down "options" with me?
>>
>>1151132
I am only familiar with the Army. Army OCS isn't as competitive as the other branches. Army recruiters also get bonus points for recruiting officers. Within your OCS class you will compete for branch. That is where it gets cutthroat. Honestly, I would be more worried about assuming command after OCS. OCS officer's without prior enlisted experience are lost in the sauce. I suggest you avoid the combat arms branches. They have zero tolerance for brand new 2LTs who can't read a map or deliver a coherent brief.
>>
I enlisted in the air force and got most of my bach done on active duty. Now Im getting an MBA on that post 911 golden ticket. $1600 a month and free private school tuition.

1600 mo + part time job 1300 + airbnb my spare room $1200 = living the good life
>>
>>1151144
I am not quite sure what route I would like to go, but I would prefer doing supply chain management our resource management/finance work e.i something related to Business.
If coast guard doesnt work out I may consider Army for OCS just want to make sure I come in as an officer.
>>
>>1151146
sounds lavish to me, may I ask what school?
and how difficult was taking the GMAT/GRE for MBA admission?
>>
Lol what, get that shit from Colombia and just be a reservist
>>
>>1151125
what would happen if I got caught?
>>
>>1151155
Unless you plan on doing 3 deployments, reservists are not entitled to 100% Post GI Bill. Goodluck getting in Columbia with a weekend warrior resume and 60k a year tuition with minimal educational bens.
>>
>>1151165
You only get caught if you want to get caught. Worst case scenario is that you get released with no criminal penalties. They will try to scare you with a "Fraudulent Enlistment" felony during the initial gestapo interrogation. Its all a dog and pony show though.
>>
>>1151176
so just never mention anything about previous medical history etc? I've been off meds for a while and am getting 3.75 + GPA in college
>>
>>1151153

St Edwards in Austin Tx

Not the greatest school and if you had over 5 years of work experience you didnt need to take the Gmat
>>
>>1151179
Chicken pox. That is it. It's all smoke and mirrors if you stfu.
>>
>>1150905
Question for Military. Why are you guys so hard to employ? I'm doing internship for job center and I've been trying to help this marine find work and it's been hell. There is nothing wrong with the guy and he's clean cut and respectable yet he won't get offers or interviews. It's not just him either, we have others struggling to find their clients work too. There is no reason this guy should be having this much trouble. Anyone got any advice on what he might doing wrong? I like the guy and he has a family so im fucking trying to find him work. We live near a major military base on West coast so maybe bad reputation because of other military in area?

Sorry for posting this in your thread op but I need some god damn advice. This shit is stressing me out. What did any of you do to find work after service? Keep in mind he's 28 so not that old or anything and can do any work.
>>
>>1151183
What was his job and rank in the Marines?
>>
>>1151187
thanks for the advice
>>
>>1151183

>marine
Civillians think trained killer and psycho

> Air Force (me)

Civillians think Im Top Gun
>>
>>1151187
I'm not 100% sure on rank (I don't really know that much about military, never served) I'd have to get his paper work to tell you, but he was in a combat position and was over the middle east quite a bit a few years ago. The guy just got out a few months ago too.

I can post more info tomorrow when I go in to get my hours signed. All I know is it can't be his interview skills, guy is friendly as hell and pretty sharp.
>>
>>1151192
That's what I was thinking. We live in liberal area so might not look as good as it would if we were down south. I'm from the south which means I'm used to huge military love so this is weird to me.
>>
I work in data modeling. I'm not a climatologist, but literally every one I've ever encountered believed this. And I've worked with and encountered hundreds with this topic.

Anyone who says "only 45% of scientists believe in man-extended/man-made global warming" clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>1151198
>Combat arms
>Not at least an NCO (Leadership position)

His options are labor, security guard, police, or college on GI Bill for more options.
>>
>>1151183

He probably has a very shitty resume. Did he get out of the service very recently?

Focus on the guy's resume would be my guess. The military teaches a lot of useful soft skills (responsibility, work-ethic, leadership, respect for the boss, etc.) but hard skills can be very lacking (especially if he was in a direct combat related job) depending on the field he is applying for. Is his resume plastered with military soft skills?
>>
>>1151210
>police

Didn't even think about that. Damn, might have just solved my problem anon. Thanks.
>>
>>1151221
His resume is solid but the soft skills thing you mention is something I'm going to look at improving. I think he can word his military career better and break down his strengths better.

He lists his training but doesn't hit hard on character benefits and shit that he was taught in the military. Definitely will work on that.

Really appreciate the help biz. You guys have helped a lot to he honest.
>>
>>1150905
General tips when speaking to a recruiter for OCS?
>>
>>1151151
if you're not a moron you'll do fine in OCS

add me on skype: durstep if you want good advice on what to do with yourself.
>>
>>1151183
I've gotten plenty of job offers and interviews and I never show up with a resume. My background is intelligence though, so I get a lot of offers through USAJOBS and linkedin.
>>
>>1151533
Are you an officer currently?
>>
>>1150905
This is kind of like me.
>Obtain BS
>Become military officer
>Get out
>Work for the State of California
>Still haven't used my GI Bill
Currently attempting to study for the GMAT, maybe go to a cheapo Cal State so I can save that BAH.
>>
>>1152178
How old are you, and how hard is it to become a military officer?
>>
>>1152178
What branch? Why a cal state?
>>
>>1152292
Bumparoo
>>
>>1152196
Currently 29, not too hard if you had a decent GPA in college and do well on the ASTB (I was Navy). I don't know about the other branches' test for OCS admission. I was not prior enlisted.

>>1152292
Cal State because I can save BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing). In the LA area, where I live I believe E-5 pay with dependents is around $2,4000 per month. Money that is not taxable and paid to you as the student for living expense. Plus the whole GI Bill pays for everything is not true, perhaps it could work for obtaining a Bachelors but I believe in California, the max it will pay out is $17,500 per year if I remember correctly (check VA website to confirm). As you know, advanced degrees are a lot more expensive than a Bachelors. Many UC programs I looked at were around $50-60k annually.
>>
>>1152874
Woops.. I meant $2,400
>>
>>1151146
What was your afsc? 3e0X2 here. I only used my GI bill for one semester before I got a sweet union job.
>>
>>1151146
>tfw i live 10 mins from college of san mateo
>tfw i live with my mom
>tfw i get 3856$ a month in my bank account for community college classes
>tfw pell grant
>tfw board of governors grant
>tfw fafsa
>tfw free healthcare for life
>tfw disability payments
>tfw for some reason i still want back into the army
>>
>>1153151
Want incentives are there to reenlist or continue?
>>
>>1153215

I want to be an officer, idk I'm just really bored lately. I probably can't even get my disability fixed to be able to get back in, but commissioning doesn't sound like a bad deal.

but its just my rose-colored glasses honestly, I know that I'd regret it 1 day after getting back.
>>
>>1152874
>I've heard that to get into OCS as an officer, you need to take a test that includes portions of the ASTB, is that true?
>>
>>1151029
So I had childhood asthma and just recently was rediagnosed with it.

Is this a disqualifier? It's really pretty mild, and nonexistent when I take my medicine. I'm more interested in the non-combat positions. I don't have a problem lying about it, but it seems like they would know when I get the prescription.

Is it possible for me to get in and pretend I have no idea about the asthma, and then go to the doctor again after basic training/OCS and get "diagnosed"?
>>
>>1152874
whats the easiest branch to do OCS in?
>>
File: j.png (1 MB, 964x632) Image search: [Google]
j.png
1 MB, 964x632
>>1153518
let me rephrase this... dont want people to get the wrong impression,

whats the branch with the highest demand for Officers?
>>
I would never hire a vet.

PTSD is not something I want to deal with.
>>
File: 25.jpg (12 KB, 258x200) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
12 KB, 258x200
>>1153744
>>
>>1153661
Bump
>>
>>1151110
whats wrong with national guard and reserves?
>>
>>1150905
Doing the same thing. Getting an easy com degree so i can go back and get a finance or marketing degree after the navy.
>>
>>1153291
if you can pass your PT test you'll be fine.
>>
>>1153744
hahaha. only a few people in combat roles get this. 99% of military is logistics.
>>
>>1153258
Yes, that is true.
>>
>>1153661
>>1154255
I would have to say Army. They are the largest branch budget wise. So, they are less selective.
>>
>>1154380
Nobody likes reservists. On a more serious note, maybe because you go through all the training but don't really get all the pay and benefits compared to active duty. Well, unless of course you got deployed and got injured/medically discharged.
>>
>>1154583
Is the pay wildly different between different branches if youre an officer?
>>
>>1155702
pay is the same across the DoD
>>
>>1155741
DoD?
>>
>>1156045
department of defense, the head of every US military branch
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.