[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
web based solutions startup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
Hi /biz/
Anon from /a/,/b/,/c/ here...

I have roughly $300 extra this month, now I am planning one of two options, #1 find a normal $10-$12/h job and keep saving. OR, I can settup a portfolio website, and begin selling hosting and system packages for 85-200/m as a web design firm...

My experience is in lemp stacks, nginx, and all my computer's run Linux in some form or another(I do not game, I do not run Windows at all) so I have domains, websites, and game servers, and radio stations, that I have set up from scratch in VPS's including forums, media streaming sites, and basic websites. SSL certs and everything is not an issue.

My questions are as follows:
Should I get a job and save as normal?
Should I go ahead and create my own web based solutions company?
What are ways I can go about marketing my solutions in person to possible clients (suggestions on my target audience, low maintinece or quick settups such as an off-road vehicle dealership vs a bakery)
Any other web related business ideas?

Any help is much appreciated, currently I can cover my own sites with a small vps for less than $30/m, and my operational cost is essentially free past domains, certs, and servers as all the software I use it open source.
>>
with those skills, you can't do better than a $10-12/hr job?
>>
your time is clearly worth more than 10/hr. Even if you make like $2/hr doing the company startup, the fact that you're spending life not flipping burgers will be worth it.
>>
>>1147192
See that's the big issue, I have no certifications and only a couple of months of college experience, of which I never really got past computer thoery junk... I got a GED at 16, and have 3 years of construction labor, machine operating, and automotive mechanic & detailer work.

The big shithole in IT is that a associates or bachelors is usually the requirement for getting a job that's salaried, and at that it's not very high either way.
>>
>>1147194
So correct me if I'm wrong, you are saying go for it?
I'm guessing the worst that can happen is you sit still, best case it make as much as a normal job with only a handful of clients... At that this job is 100% remote, so I can market to anywhere and work from anywhere.
>>
>>1147202
Yes, go for it if you're not starving/behind on bills. In a few months you will be a more valuable person compared to working the regular job.
>>
I may start a thread on crypto currencies and see about getting into that but it seems like too much of a risk, with this if it fails aorst come to worst I just do as I've only lost time.
>>
Hey op, I'll give you 15 bucks if you set up my cent osemail server.
>>
>>1147238
Any specific reason for cent OS?
I favor optimization and there's no need to reinvent the wheel or use anything other than mint or Ubuntu server for repositories and software support.

I'd do it for 40 bucks normally, but sticky doesn't want me advertising or offering services and I'd rather not get a bann.
>>
>>1147243
From the options that were available to me that's the one I liked the most, it's only $7 a month for the vps so not too bad. Nah sorry bro that's too much, I can do it myself just have to get around to it.
>>
>>1147247
Well that's basically 2 hours work, little research and some settup. I can only recommend you look at Ovh for your vps, possibly kimsufi for a Dedi.
They got really good service for real cheap.
Not my company not making anything ny recommending. :P
>>
>>1147252
Haha nah I'm pretty happy with the company I'm with 2 ips for $7 is a pretty good deal imo.
Either way good luck to you bro.
>>
>>1147187
OP the biggest problem you're going to have is that in general, people don't like buying a domain with one company, and using a different company for hosting. Unless you can specifically buy out and unlock domains from other big names like bluehost, godaddy, host gator, etc. I don't see how you would be able to compete. Maybe I just misunderstand your plan for your business.
>>
undercut humanproofdesign - build ready made affiliate niche sites
listen to the new tropicalmba podast tomorrow at 5am California time - it's themed for giving away business ideas

how dedicated would you be on this business and how quickly would you expect to make the $300 back?
$300 is not a lot and you can save more by working

>>1147198
you're stupid
you have better than a degree - you have experience
lie on the resume, bring a portfolio

don't be stupid bro
>>
>>1147262
>bring s portfolio to the interview*
you're going to ace the phone interview talking about your experience, being generous with it, and in the begging talking about one hobby that doesn't involve imageboards
it could be watching film and watching reviews on YouTube after + a lot of actor interviews. it could be anything semi interesting
>>
>>1147261
See my model is a monthly flat rate for a managed service, included with that is of course 1 domain name and anything that will cost me will be additional on said plan. Now my quotes would be variable based on content updating or any maintinece that would be required of me... :P optimally I host the servers and they have some WordPress or site builder/editor dude somewhere, if not I pick up the torch and send a bigger monthly contract.
>>
>>1147268
Well I ride motorcycles, shoot guns, blow shit up and I'm probably one of the only people who is learning Japanese that didn't watch anime before starting. Lol.

>>1147262
See I figured I can undercut small ATV or motorcycle dealership groups that host sites like that. :P itd be the same model, nearly same settup but it the live chats, email servers, customer databases, and security camera/remote file backups I can do in person that can expand that contract to a good ammount.

As for the $300, I figured I can make it back within a month, if I had 3 clients mg service would be reoccurring and it'd be easy to stack 10-15 cleints and sit on plenty of monthly income, basically they'd be very inclined to keep expanding with me, and not go elsewhere, especially if I am local because I can go on-site for other work as well(possible connections for a future part time in-house IT job).
>>
>>1147187
I would advice against it. Web hosting is brutal game and its nearly impossible to create any profit from.
VPS are only profitable if you buy bare metal and provision from that and running things like game servers and shit is not only a massive ddos target but also intensive on the host machine.
Being a web designer/developer especially for mom and pop type businesses is absolutely shit which will be an incredible expense on your time.
>>
>>1147283
See that's the issue I've already faced, my goal is not a simple webhost, my goal is essentially the remote IT guy of a business. Anything I can do on a server is my product, hosting and managing the server could easily pull 80/m for a really simple website and email server, yea some businesses are suckers when they don't know they can build their own for dirt cheap, but that's fine by me.
>>
>>1147279
you seem like a fellow smart neet and that's pretty cool

flesh out what you're saying please, I don't speak IT. what about atv dealership sites? what are you doing for these clients?

I'm probably going to have to get a job for a few months to move forward. I live in the bay area (how about you) and that girl getting fired from yelp, talking about the high turnover, tells me I can lie my ass into a job and look for a better one immediately - hour a day

I've been researching nothing but marketing and kind of making econtacts. no tv, no videogames, only a couple hours of 4chan an the occasional movie
>>
>>1147288
How is this any different from a typical web hosted who provisions websites using cPanel and WHCMS
>>
>>1147288
that really doesn't sound bad, but if you aren't actually bringing value to the table, why bother? you won't be able to sell yourself knowing that

people make money by creating WordPress plugins - do you know how to do that?
business I've heard of go the freemium route to sell them
>>
>>1147187
Do both.

Use spare time to create website & marketing strategy for ideal clients ect. Put money towards marketing costs. First clients deposit should ideally cover equipment/start up costs.

I'm working as a contractor for a e-commerce site at $25 p/h atm. Which I'm learning alot of business skills, as well as SEO/Soical Media/Marketing side of things so ideally you should get a related job you will learn alot and develop processes for your own business.

>>1147283
>Being a web designer/developer especially for mom and pop type businesses is absolutely shit
This they don't want to invest money into shit
>>
>>1147295
This.
>>
>>1147291
Its not, the sale is always marketing never the product...
Why buy a new car when one with 100,000 miles at 1/6th the cost runs perfectly?

>>1147289
Thanks for the comment! ^_^
Basically I cover all bases, I host the website, email server, and server based applications or databases for customer information, and possibly design, build and maintain your website. At the end of the day you call me and tell me what you want, I make it happen within reasonable time(usually 24-48hrs)

I have the ability to work anywhere anytime, and all your stuff stays on a nice safe encrypted server that has extremely high security in comparison to regular hosting, only a computer with a specific 2048 character key varified both ways(client to/from server) can run commands. :P
>>
>>1147289
Also I'm out in semi-rural Georgia. Bout 30-50 miles west of Atlanta, so within an hour I can drive to many business hot spots, little booming cities and business centers.

>>1147292
I think door to door marketing for free removal is fucking stupid, selling magazines and candy is fucking asinine...
It wouldn't exist if someone didn't find a way to make massive profits off of it.

>>1147295
Good advice, considering this because I can get paid cash to be in a dealership and cover various in-house IT shit as well. They'd be more inclined to up the pay monthly, or just put me on salary with the company(getting me off this hourly bullshit)
>>
Buy a real computer like a Mac (so much better then linux garbage)

- sent from my iPhone
>>
>>1147313
you'd do better with an established website of your own than marketing to mom and pops
for one, that marketing doesn't scale - and 2, like other people said, that market doesn't buy

you might have to do free work to build a client base/portfolio but that shouldn't be a problem
if you're working less than 30 hours a week, considered a job as well
>>
>>1147329
I hope your joking, macs are fucking ridiculously overpriced, underpowered, and don't have support for shit when it comes to severs... And also little to no cross comparability with Windows and Linux...

My only question to you is did you come from /b/ because that's some nice bait m8.
Pic related: mfw I read this shit.
>>
>>1147341
Work is never free, but I could run multiple full featured demo sites on my own vps, or provide links to other sites/systems I've developed through friends and projects...

I would like to offer major customization to the web design aspect but I'm not about to drop 10+ hours on a website, I'll throw up WordPress, populate it with content and teach the client to update and use it from there...
>>
>>1147243

Send me a mail at webexpert at libero do it
>>
>>1147712

* "dot" not "do"
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.