[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Online stock trading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1378221924933.jpg (40 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
1378221924933.jpg
40 KB, 500x441
I am looking to start trading stock online, but have a few questions. I already own some stocks through an adviser, but would like to begin on my own.

1. What site would you all suggest?

2. when they offer a 9.99 trade fee (for example), is that charged when I place an order, and when I sell, regardless of the amount in the order?

3.Anyone here have experience with online trading and have any suggestions or tips?
>>
>>1146111
1) IB

2) yes

3) don't.
>>
>>1146210
>3) don't.
why?
>>
>>1146210
>1) IB
> 10k minimum

Yeah no, Im looking to just get started.
>>
>>1146216
Just stop and give of now, holy shit.
>>
>>1146216
you can't day trade with less than 25k.
>>
>>1146265
to expand on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_day_trader

you can't day trade without a margin account. you will not make money. stick with your adviser.
>>
File: idiots.png (50 KB, 757x609) Image search: [Google]
idiots.png
50 KB, 757x609
nasdaq.com is good place for basic information,, but don't trust the community/consensus recommendations,, pic related

my long term recommentation would be SSYS
(bought 200 of them when they where 16,something)
but don't blame me if they fall more because of 3d systems
>>
>>1146265
this. thats per the SEC.

>>1146214
he just means you are going to lose money. if you'd like to try it still, by all means hop on in. the water is warm ;)
>>
Everywhere I've read says its fine for beginners to start small. and I dont plan on day trading, I want to buy some steady stocks and sell them in a few months, essentially what I do with my adviser, but on my own.
>>
File: tumblr_ngbuu6nLqi1smshebo1_540.jpg (88 KB, 480x810) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngbuu6nLqi1smshebo1_540.jpg
88 KB, 480x810
Think or Swim with Dough.com Discount
7$ trades
0$ ticket fees
$1.50 option contracts

vs
no discount.
9$ trade
9.99 ticket fee
$1 option contracts

Stocks are cool but Derivatives are better papertrade your for a while till you learn a few strategies and can deploy them successfully.
>>
>>1146272
>3d printing stock
>1.1 billion dollar market cap
>down 80% from IPO price

so what is your long term strategy here to get rid of money?

>>1146281
I don't understand your strategy. you want to purchase "steady stocks" but you don't want to hold them longer than a quarter? do you realize this doesn't make any sense? Honestly just sign up for the cheapest broker you can find and dick around. you probably won't lose your whole stack.
>>
For example, I bought sony shares in august at $23, and sold it in november about when it peaked at about ~28.

It hit ~20 a month ago, I bought again then, and now is at 25 and climbing still. im going to sell soon when it hits 26. so far im up ~800 from my starting cash.
>>
>>1146290
I'm prepared to lose couple of thousands with this,, and it's easy money if it get's better in couple of years like what happened with telecom companies ~20 years ago
even now my ssys is over 2k on green
>>
>>1146303
3d systems was founded in the 90s and the technology has not gotten much better in that 20 years. 1.1 billion is insanely over-valued for your pick. I wouldn't own this stock. its volatile so traders love it though.

>>1146302
good luck
>>
>>1146312
Am I doing it wrong? As I understand it profit is only realized when you sell for a gain. holding it forever gets you nothing. I just want to keep doing what I've been doing without having to call my adviser.
>>
>>1146320
what you're doing is called "swing trading". its a common enough strategy that someone bothered to name it. I don't trade. I prefer dividend paying stocks that are DRIP eligible to take advantage of compounding interest. its boring but it works. I like warren buffett's thoughts on how long he likes to hold stocks for: forever.
>>
>>1146332
Thank you for that information, I will look into that. I just want to better myself. Im 23 with a good chunk of cash just sitting in the bank doing nothing for me. I'd like to make my money work for me if possible.
>>
>>1146341
>>1146303
>I'm prepared to lose couple of thousands with this
That's good, because you almost certainly will.
Remember, a bull market is full of geniuses. That means that if you're doing well, it's a good bet everyone else is as well (including the indexers), except with no effort.
The risk you're trying to avoid by not "day trading" is present in longer time frames as well. Odds are, you will end up holding a bunch of stock worth less than you paid for it, holding dead money waiting for it to come back.
>>
IB is the only reasonable broker. my trades are usually less than 100 shares, because I reinvest dividends, so these retail brokers with their 10 dollar trades would absolutely destroy me.
>>
>>1146397
>my trades are usually less than 100 shares, because I reinvest dividends
Wait, they're charging you commission when they reinvest your dividends?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.