[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/ First time poster here. I've only skimmed through
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: chem.jpg (333 KB, 3867x2578) Image search: [Google]
chem.jpg
333 KB, 3867x2578
Hey /biz/

First time poster here. I've only skimmed through some threads for the past hour but it seems like you guys are actually one of the boards that knows their shit. Here's a little bit about me in terms of career prospects:

-Graduating with B.Sc. Biochemistry
-Starting a Ph.D. in organic/organometallic chemistry next fall
-looking to get into the chemical industry, but its tough these days. seems like I can use the PhD to go the route of patent agent / patent attorney seems like a great alternative if I don't make it in chemistry.
-I am pretty smart, like math, and come from a family that had stressed the importance of working your ass off if you want to get anywhere.

Give me the /biz/ crash course in how to make money.

(i might have to step away from the computer for a bit)
>>
>>1145052
-Spend less than you earn; as much less as you can
-Use the difference to make more money (start a business or just invest the money in the stock market)
-Avoid getting into debt.
The rest are details.
>>
My advice I can give is this. Everytime you feel money in your hands, free your mindset for a second and realize it's literally a piece of paper. Have this type of mindset, you're golden
>>
>>1145052
Kill yourself
>>
Is it worth doing a PhD these days?

I got my bachelor's in Chem and pivoted towards something else.
>>
>>1146712

In academia? No. -Only 13% of PhD's land a tenured tract job in academia.

Not sure what the situation is like in industry. Wages in the natural sciences are generally terrible too unless you get lucky and land some highly competitive job which are few in sparse.
>>
>>1146745
from what I was able to gather, industry is where a lot of people go these days. that or a job at a government lab. These are competitive positions, but not nearly as competitive at academia. academia is suicide tier competitive where you need more than a PhD, you need a PhD from an ivy league school, connections, ideas, etc.

that said, not attending grad school in chem will most likely get you stuck in a shitty lab tech position (at least where I'm from). its different if you are on one of the coasts, though who the fuck wants to livee in california where you pay atrociously high living costs?
>>
how long can you hold your breath
>>
>it seems like you guys are actually one of the boards that knows their shit

lmao'd
>>
>>1146929

This.
>>
This is a very retarded question, but when guys say "invest in the stock market" do they mean opening a bank account and all that, or just using an stock market software? biz newfag here>>1145055
>>
>>1145052
I spent enough time on sci to know that BSc in chem is shit. You'll never do anything other than lab tech with less than a masters.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.