[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
School stuff business
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: qqmpgaD.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
qqmpgaD.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1280
Sup /g/

Kids and parents over here buy school stuff (think pens, pencils, notebooks, agendas and stuff) in the months June, July, August and even September. Do you think a webshop in this niche will be profitable? Currently almost all of these people go to physical shops but as we know, those are dying out. Thoughts?

Pic unrelated
>>
Fuck I meant /biz/
>>
>>1144625
Unless it's at least slightly luxury (eg moleskin notebooks) and/or you have some excellent marketing technique/have a way to target b2b, selling them to azn-american flea shops, no. It's easier to buy them at a store
>>
>>1144625
Gad damn, what is the one on the bottom left?
>>
>>1144702
Porsche 918 Spyder. I think it is equipped with the Weissach package but I'm not entirely sure about that.
>>
>>1144625

what if you make a back to school box that parents can buy. it will include a bunch of shit like pencils/notebooks/etc.
parents can choose the box based on their child's age (younger will have like markers and colorful shit, while older kids will have nicer pens and binders and shit)

if you buy the supplies in bulk you can get a good deal and then you can pack them together depending on your orders
>>
File: LhpNvgg.png (28 KB, 755x843) Image search: [Google]
LhpNvgg.png
28 KB, 755x843
>>1144759
This used to be my original plan. However, someone suggested that I should let the customers choose. Something like in pic related. What do you think?
>>
>>1144759
>>1145446
Don't think that would work. You would only target people who go to school for the first time, get a new office, etc. an make an initial purchase. Once after that, no one would buy the box right since it includes so much stuff they don't need? Sure, you can diversify and sell small boxes big boxes young boxes old boxes school boxes office boxes.

Thinking about it, it don't like the idea much. Don't forget that people barely buy these supplies nowadays in comparison to a decade ago, a trend that will continue in an immer paperless world.

As of today, your costs would be too high and you wouldn't generate sufficient revenue to stay afloat. You're only shot at this in my opinion is affiliating with a big supermarket who has a sophisticated delivery distribution. It has been months since I physically went to a supermarket myself (exaggeration), all I do is order online and that trend is soaring. Everyone will do it more and more so all you need to do is get into people's minds and make them buy your products while grocery shopping. For those who live in the UK, Ryman for example will be part of a merger or acquisition soon, simply unsustainable a business like that. Or they could close all their stores and sell online only, but I doubt they would be able to adapt as quickly as they have to.

Anyway, best of luck!
>>
>>1145459
I would only generatie revenue in the months I mentioned in my OP. Some might view this as a big problem, but it's perfect for me: I'm a student and I have a huge break during those months.

You're right about the fact that it's a dying market, but people in school will still need it (iPads turn out to be huge bottlenecks in a lot of instances).

I don't agree with you on the fact that only people who just start out would buy it. I needed new pens and pencils and notebooks and other shit that broke every year. However, I didn't need anything (which a pre-made box would have restricted me to).
>>
>>1145487
Sure, they will still need it. Perhaps for another year or two, perhaps for another five years, who knows it could even be ten depending on location. Also, don't forget that laptops, computers, iPads and other tablets, etc. need to adjust, which will take time. Society its view on such education needs to change, which it obviously and inevitably will; change takes time, always.

Do you intend to give customers the ability to choose what they want, and/or provide pre-made boxes? Still, I believe pre-made boxes would not work. You would need tens of different boxes, wouldn't you say? This implies that customers would have to go through numerous boxes, very time consuming. They would know that all you did was buy in bulk, provide some fancy packaging, and sell. Instead, they can purchase exactly what they need in normal (e-)stores. All the people who just want an extra 5 pens, a couple notebooks, or other items, without wanting to purchase anything else will be lost in your business model. There is no conveniency for customers, you'd charge more than competitors and delivery would presumably take longer than competitors. This industry is not just dying, it is literally at the end of its life. Acquiring a reputation would be impossible for you over the course of a couple years.

Lastly, you consider those three months to be sales period. The issue here is that people will go to competitors during the school year and thus decrease your demand. Once summer arrives, nobody knows about your e-commerce and you would have to invest tons on marketing. Even if you get it going, by the time you have to go back to school, you will have to inform everyone that you are closing for 9 months. I mean, do you at least somewhat agree that this is ridiculous? There would be revenue to be generated coming directly from your advertising in June or July and you would (unwillingly) choose to neglect this?

Sorry my friend, it won't work.
>>
>>1145607
Thank you for your useful criticism. You're completely right.

Now that i've found someone on this board who isnt retarded: do you have any experience with getting shit from Alibaba (mainland China)? All I see is horror stories and I want to know if someone on here has actually pulled it off succesfully.
>>
>>1145660
Could you elaborate on 'getting shit from Alibaba'? & what exactly would you do and want to achieve by ordering on Alibaba?
>>
>>1144759
that's much better
what are your marketing plans?

>>1145446
you can split test webpages, check your analytics and find out what works/why
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.