[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/ I've often thought of the idea of opening a toy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: img_8292.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
img_8292.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1728
Hey /biz/ I've often thought of the idea of opening a toy store where I live, do you guys think one can make a decent profit running a toy business? I've worked at a toy store before and the key to making profit is literally in like 4-5 toys (LEGO, Pokemon, Paw Patrol, Shopkins, Tomas the train, Boardgames ect.). Have a store carrying that type of stuff and then carrying nick nack toys like those sticky hands, cup in ball, tech decks and I don't see how you wouldn't be successful. Obviously the challenge is in getting suppliers and having them supply you stuff at a fair price, rent costs might be crazy too. Thoughts?
>>
>>1143236

I dunno man... I mean this is the year 2016 we're talking about. Why would anyone open a physical store anywhere, pay expensive rent, and rely on suppliers to sell you products that aren't even yours, so that you can then sell them to people that you depend on physically passing by to shop.

It just seems so retarded to me. If it's your life goal to run a toy store, I guess that's a different story. But from a business perspective it's completely stupid. I think.
>>
>>1143236
Why the fuck would anyone buy from you when they can just order what they want from Amazon for cheaper?
>>
do kids actually still want toys? I thought they all play with apps and videogames?
>>
>>1143300

I don't think I've ever seen a gen z with real toys before.

They always have tablets ands phones, even three 3 three year olds
>>
>>1143300
I think there's still a market for toys. By example, Lego was doing pretty fine last time I heard, thank you, and events like the Japanese wonfes, or the international toy fair, are massive events with different targets.

However, as these events prove, the focus isn't kids any more, but adults. Companies like NECA, Figma and even LEGO are focusing on popular franchises among the teenager and adult demographics (take a look at the LEGO Imperial Star destroyer building instructions for its 1300 pieces, and be realistic about how many kids would actually build it), and even store chains like toy'r us have "adult sections" now.

However, I agree about physical stores being a big NO. It may exists for a while as a support for an on-line business (like mandarake), but on its own is pretty condemned to failure.
>>
Going into a brick and mortar low margin business at time when e commerce is exponentially growing.
You will need to have a very novel idea with extremely efficient marketing
>>
>>1143236
>literally
Literally suck a bag of dicks.
>>
>>1143354
B&M is impossible in so many markets, toys included. But I wouldn't say e-commerce is really growing either. Toy collectors are like every other market these days, a huge gap between those who can spend a few bucks and those who are poor as dirt. You're chasing your tail. Trust me, 4 years of losses at this, last year being the worst by far.
>>
>>1143236
>Tomas the train
>>
>>1143236
>"literally" 4-5 toys yet includes "etc."
>implying "boardgames" is just one toy
>>
File: 1449714003196.jpg (24 KB, 381x381) Image search: [Google]
1449714003196.jpg
24 KB, 381x381
>>1145146

Whats wrong with Tomas the train? That's what the toy line is called
>>
File: sku_105107_1.jpg (71 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
sku_105107_1.jpg
71 KB, 700x700
>>1145180
This was the only relevant result I found searching for Tomas the train.

While it is pretty cool, are you sure you don't mean Thomas the Tank Engine?
>>
>>1144868
Not incredible losses but I have tried alot of stuff and nothing seems to work.

The first two years, I spent on infrastructure. Bought a tablet, shelving, business cards, that sort of stuff. Didn't quite make it back but that wasn't unexpected.

The third year, I bought cheaper toys. Nothing was cheap enough. I mean, you have people agonizing over a $10 purchase. Relatively speaking, the more expensive collector orient stuff was selling better. Online sales picked up.

The fourth year, I focused more on collector oriented toys. Now everyone wanted cheaper stuff. But new cheaper stuff, not older cheaper stuff. Rent on space killed me and online sales fell almost as much.

I would've been crushed at B&M retail. I'd need to sell 40K Batman figures per month just to make rent. I haven't sold 40K of them in 48 months...
>>
You need a niche because you won't be able to compete with toys r us on economy of scale. Your options include boutique board games (eurogames, work replacement, or ip tie in classics like game of thrones monopoly and Dr who yatzee etc.), minatures/war gaming like 40k/warmachine, tcgs like mtg/pokemon/force of will, or weeb shit like manga, anime plushes, wallscrolls whathaveyou. Margins on board games are 50% generally once you get relationships with the big distribution houses- alliance, peach state hobby distributors, lion rampant (canada) and usaopoly if you go with the ip branded stuff. For anime shit I recommend buying direct from manufacturers in China online, they can be a pain to deal with but the markup is the best compared to us distributors. If you go for minis/tcgs/or boutique board games you are going to want to provide table space to keep your customers in the store longer and create play groups using social media. You can also sell soda/snacks which have great markup and you can buy easily at Sam's club
>>
>>1143236
invest all your money in a toy store OP you can probably negotiate a discount cost from Lego and profit
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.