[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The fuck is this chip shit? I think this proves we're in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 276x183
The fuck is this chip shit? I think this proves we're in the mandela effect because its everywhere now and people are acting like its been a thing forever
>>
My card has had that since the mid 2000s wtf are you smoking
>>
>>1141928
In the timeline I'm from we didnt have it, we only 'swiped'
>>
>>1141926
All of my cards have chips, and all of the local stores have chip readers, but they freak out if you try to use them.

The last time I bought groceries, the card reader told me to put the card in the reader to scan the chip. The checkout person freaked out when I did, and all of the registers locked up at once.

If they didn't want me to put my card in the slot, they shouldn't have told me to do so in the on screen instructions.
>>
File: s90_contactless_3 (1).jpg (1 MB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
s90_contactless_3 (1).jpg
1 MB, 5184x3456
>>1141926
>they're still sticking it in
hahaha fuck why is america so behind?
In australia we have this thing called Paywave(tm) a type of contactless payment and you just hover your card over and you can pay whatever you want instantly and walk away. All of our banks offer it on current debit cards since like 2013.
You don't even need to select the account or put in a pin. you just slap it on top of the device or on the paywave panel attachment thing and then you're done.
>>
The pin chips were standard in australia by 2008 btw.
>>
That's because Euro has been doing chip for years. It is marketed as newish and more secure but that's because in reality it is pretty vulnerable. The magnetic lining of a card can be stripped, and also loaded, with info by thieves (can also be done with gift cards) but this has been changing over the past few years. The chip however can be remotely stolen with a RFID like device which only costs about $200 to make, and only needs a tapping against people to steal info. Of course this info can be dated, I haven't been involved with it in quite sometime. It's a one step forward, two steps back kind of thing. Not sure how long they've been in the states though. I know Chase shilled it at me when I started banking with them just last year.
>>
>>1141926
Do you live in a developing country or something?
>>
Lmao how is the USA so far behind the rest of the world in payment technology?
>>
>>1141948
This is the most insecure idea i've ever heard, even worse than a cheque(is this the name in english?).
>>1141984
I live in a developing country and we have had this for years.
>>
>>1142035
I'm assuming the actual info is encrypted, and probably only decrypted with a pin anyway, which is at least better than the unencrypted magnetic swipe.
>>
>>1142044
But you have a PIN with chips. Usually with four numbers, but some have 6 and there is one with 8 and that's retarded.
>>
>>1142009

The fact that checks, motherfucking paper checks, are still a prevalent form of payment, should tell you something about the ludditeness in the US
>>
FUCK CHIPS!!! You have to hold the card in the slot tediously for a couple seconds while you wait for the screen to tell you it's okay to take it out. And then the chip doesn't even work half the time and you have to do that fucking bullshit again.

Swiping a card is FUN, you just do it and you don't have to wait around with your card in the slot and your finger in your ass.

>>1142060
No they aren't, boomers don't even use checks anymore, it's their 80+ year old parents who do that still.
>>
File: vi_img_paywave.jpg (18 KB, 220x176) Image search: [Google]
vi_img_paywave.jpg
18 KB, 220x176
>>1142075
>he doesn't know the pleasure of creating your own signature draw and slap
when paying with paywave
You haven't bought something until you've bought it with a contactless payment method.
i have a mobilephone case wallet and so i got an action where i pull it out only holding tip of the card and then flick slap it onto the paywave panel
my brother just waves his wallet over the eftpos machine until it registers and if it doesn't he mashes it up against it as if he's bashing the machine with a wallet size rock
>>
>>1142075
I'm in my 30s and still use checks. Noy everyone like to give every Tom, Dick, and Harry direct access to their savings account.

But yeah, the chip cards are slow and finicky. Plus the chip readers are $50+ even though most processors like Square gave away the swipe readers.
>>
>>1142102
Sad thing is, if the government said you had to buy a chip reader, people would go fucking bananas. But a private duopoly forces it and we get called luddites for not flushing money down the toilet.
>>
>>1141948
Certain banks and phone applications do provide that in America. It's finding a card reader that accepts it all the time that's kinda tricky (I live in a very rural area though).
>>
I just came back from working in the US for a year, and was amazed at how outdated and unsecured card payments are. No chip, no pin, swipe and sign.
Chips have been the standard since the 90's.
>>
>>1141926
This was a recent rollout from chase for me
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.