[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Summer of the Hoverboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: marketing tools.jpg (98 KB, 750x422) Image search: [Google]
marketing tools.jpg
98 KB, 750x422
This is the summer of the hoverboard, the fad has taken root, early adapters have brought it to the mainstream and it's poised to explode- figuratively . So Biz the question is how are we going to make money?
Here is my tenuous plan-
Find retail spot on the boardwalk.
Buy them in bulk from a chinese factory for 120 bucks a pop and sell them for about 385.
Should I also consider doing rentals as well?
>>
My friend has a friend that is a drug dealer and he bought $80,000 worth of these things to resell in Canada.
>>
>>1140975
Who's on vacation looking for hover boards?
>>
>>1140977

How are they moving? Have any blown up?
>>
>>1140982
Here's my thinking on that- The boardwalk is an environment of fun and frivolity- the appeal of the hoverboard and most importantly where families are together for a rare instance. The hoverboards are their own marketing tool- they look fun to ride and imagine a boardwalk full of people riding these. Second to families the boardwalk is a hangout for teenagers. What demographic are more susceptible to fads and memes than teens? If I act like a bike shop and rent them with a sticker on the side of the device I have free, rolling advertisements. Please critique my thinking.
>>
>>1141000
Hm..
I can definitely see renting them out at a vacation spot, like for sure. Look at segways. Now that you mention the renting, that does sound like a lot better idea. Maybe have a few there to sell, but I wouldn't have the main premise be to buy them.

Maybe possibly hover board tours too?
>>
>>1141009
I'm not a huge fan of the tour idea because the shore town doesn't have a lot of history- just the beach the shops and the houses. But maybe. I agree that rentals make a lot of sense - I'm just a little afraid of getting them back, managing an inventory, etc. I think $ 20 same day is a fair price to rent. 40 for a weekend 80 for a week? family discounts too.
>>
>>1141029
I'd do some research on how the rental places get their money back for stolen stuff. I'm sure there is some way either through insurance, getting a collateral from the renter, etc. I don't really think that's too big of a deal.

about the pricing, I wouldn't let them take them to their hotels and stuff because
A.) You may have a problem with the hotels in your area complaining
B.) I don't think it's a thing they'd be on like ever day of their stay.
C.) You'd be making less money than you could be doing an hourly plan.
I'd try to make it an hourly thing and they would come back after say
$15 for 1 hour
$20 for 2 hours
etc.
>>
>>1140975
Well OP they are like segways, except they are small. I'd say sell since what's stopping people from renting them and then just putting them in their car? Your average bike and segway can't as easily be stolen.
>>
>>1140975
This is a stupid idea as people already are selling them for $135 on Instagram and YouTube/craigslist your profit margins will be slim. Also eBay has them very cheap as well. Essentially putting the price up is very stupid.

Renting sounds interesting but how exactly will you're that though?
>>
>>1141000
I think that's a solid idea except I would figure out something better than a sticker. Might be too small for people to see.
>>
>>1141061
I sort of had a vision of a little pennant and pole rigged up to be attached. They have screws on the bottom so maybe I could build a deck there.
>>1141047
I think you're right. I googled bike rentals and segway rentals and that's how they both do it.
>>1141054
What's stopping people from stealing bike rentals? I'd have thier cc info.
>>
>>1141058
I'm not sure how they do it because the cheapest on Ali Baba is 110. Regardless most people don't know this product or it's worth, specially teens and young families. Some are being sold for 18 hundred bucks. I think a fair retail price for a product that someone wants to buy is different from a rock bottom Chinese instagram account. But perhaps 385 is optimistic.
>>
>>1141093
*wants to buy impulsively on the spot
>>
I think a simple solution instead of stickers would be to glue little funeral procession flags to the wheel covers. What do you think?
>>
>>1140975

rentals wouldn't work lad. what's to stop niggers from just "renting" one and never coming back?
>>
>>1141285
You setup where rich white families go on vacation.
Then you take their credit card info like a bike hire place.
>>
>>1140975

That fad is over, bro.

Didn't you see the videos of those things catching on fire and blowing up?
>>
>>1141294
Targeted news to try to stave off sales of chinese product in lieu of "official" namebrands. They use the same batteries as smartphones. Statistically more smartphones have exploded than hoverboards but they don't tell you that. Don't overcharge the batteries overnight and you will be fine.
>>
Is it normal that the ops pic makes me cringe?
>>
File: Picture1.png (976 KB, 509x856) Image search: [Google]
Picture1.png
976 KB, 509x856
>>
>>1141315
It'd be weird if it didn't make you cringe

>>1141319
fuck you
>>
>>1141313

Do you really think anyone is going to shell out $400 to some clown on the boardwalk for a hoverboard after they've seen YouTube videos of the damn things exploding?

If I were you, I wouldn't base your business model around selling a shitty, defective product that opens yourself up to lawsuits and refunds up the ass.
>>
Op here-Target was just last month selling them for $499 - value is hard to appraise. I'd also like to think the average person doesn't spend all day trawling youtube but maybe you're right. But I think those same people would be ok renting them for a day on the boardwalk.
>>
Torent them out it would be wise to have a deposit of a little more than the actual pric ou aqcuired one for.

Rent em out 50$ an hour
Make them give a deposit for 200 in case the machine braks under their use or it gets stolen.
>>
>>1141499
would you rent a hoverboard for 50$ an hour? Say you were on a date would you pay 200$ for 2 hours?
>>
Dude, don't rent them out man. Its a fad and just too much work. You won't want to be renting out cheap China hoverboard either.

385 seems a little too high but i think this is great idea op. everyone got one for xmas and will be wanting to use them this summer.
>>
File: silly-string.jpg (34 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
silly-string.jpg
34 KB, 300x300
>>1141543
Too much hassle seems like the problem to me too. But i'm worried about compettion from toy stores on the boardwalk and I'd like to differentiate my business somehow. I also want to be flexible because I dont think eveyone comes to the boardwalk looking to drop 500 bucks on one thing- they're looking for an memorable night and expierience. Maybe I could sell stuff for an expierice like pic related to get the teens into it.
>>
>>1140975
You're already too late, old man. Hoverboards are already a dying trend.
>>
>>1140975
these were banned at my uni since niggers were causing trouble on them. Niggers love those, I would recommend selling them on places with high nigger density.
>>
Names the invention a hover board. Doesn't hover.
Doesn't
H
O
V
E
R
>>
>>1140975
You missed the boat friend
>>
>>1140975
This is the most Reddit picture I have ever seen in my life.
>>
The time of the hoverboard was Fall/Christmas 2015, it's all ogre now
>>
>>1140975
It's not a hover anything. It's a two a mini segway with no handles being heavy marketed to kids and young adults via rap and other means. It's a stupid toy that seems to resonate with dumb hoodrats and will most likely fade in the coming years or so.
>>
>>1142110
thats why it's the summer of the hoverboard- not the "build a generational family business"
>>1141886
crabs in the bucket
>>
Some girl? Wiz Khalifa. Some emo band guy. Chris Brown. Michael Strahan.
>>
>>1141850

They are technically called self balancing scooters but normies called them hoverboards.
>>
>>1140975
>hoverboard
>has wheels
>doesn't hover
What.
>>
>>1140983
No LOL this shit is saturated as fuck already, people arent really that fucking stupid to buy the china fakes for like $80-100 online (aliexpress)

I see this shit posted on craigslist type websites, i dont see much peopple with this shit.

If he literally bought 80k worth he probably has contemplated suicide cause he maybe sold like 1-10 at most lmfao GG.
>>
>>1142399
>some girl
Bitch from Orange is the new black
>emo guy
Skrillex
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.