[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you do in this position?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
Hey guys. I'm kind of in a weird place in my life. I have a job that pays pretty well, ~100k pre-tax, and I am good at it so far, but I don't really like it. I'm trying to decide whether to stay in my current situation and work for 10+ years before retiring or to look for another job immediately.

Chances are that the next job I take would pay less than my current job, unfortunately.
>>
I am keeping my costs of living low, can afford to max out the 401k and IRA, and still have some left for paying my student loans (~78 k remaining)
>>
>>1140152
Ride it out. Work your job to finish paying off your student loans, maybe even get a mortgage for a home. Once you have it all settled, then you can worry about a crisis.
>>
>>1140157
Loan forgiveness is an option if I stay where I am for 10 years, which is another plus.

My dismay in the morning and the incessant unpaid overtime is the primary minus.
>>
> 100K (USD?)
> unpaid overtime

Let me say it that way: with a wage like this, overtime is to be expected.

all other answers depend on other factors like your age, whats you 5 year plan, whats you desired standard of living. etc etc.

just a quite generic answer: stay in the job for some more time. make good money a t no risk. get loan free. and when you really really can't take it anymore go an quit. Then you will have enough expertise and budget for starting something new.
>>
>>1140152
If I would have been in your position I would have stayed in the current job as long as I could repaid the debt, then I would be searching for a different job. Btw how many years it would take you to repay your entire student loan?
>>
>>1140155
Keep at it, everybody feels like that every once in a while, if you still feel this in a year its time to chance
>>
>>1140152
I'm in your exact position. I'm 29 yo and have a 110k CHF year job and it's just wearing me out.. I know I won't get something as good easily but at the same time I don't really care that much about it.

Am I an ungrateful bitch or should I look at this in another way? It's not really a life when you wake up at 7 and are back at 8 pm with no energy left in you to do something else and an empty appartment..
>>
File: IMG958763.jpg (72 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG958763.jpg
72 KB, 600x800
This is my situation too

Made 140k last year. (Was an excellent year, got a big bonus). but I am extremely unhappy with my life

28 years old, feels like this is my last chance to escape. I've got like 200k saved up and another 70k I'm equity when I sell my house. because I'm fucking moving somewhere warm.

I'm gonna move to Arizona and be a professional independent daytrader

I'm gonna quit in like 6 months I already talked with my boss

I'm a bit scared, this job is all I've ever known. Pic related, I work for a steel fab company who makes railings n shit. Miseralbe industry
>>
>>1140326
Miserable even
>>
File: brick pepe.png (9 KB, 338x339) Image search: [Google]
brick pepe.png
9 KB, 338x339
>>1140189
>getting paid more means you're expected to put in more hours

No that's horrifying
>>
>>1140335
welcome to being on a fixed salary instead of hourly wages
>>
25k a year self employed bum reporting in. happy as fuk. only downside is all the girls seem to think I'm actually unemployed and too embarassed to admit it. But who gives a fuck abuot girls anyway.

you're all fucked and i don't envy your lifes one fucking bit haha.
>>
>>1140326
Don't be scared, you have a big cushion. Go on this adventure and you might not end up where you expected but it'll probably be better than now.
>>
>>1140356
thanks for the encouragement anon
>>
I would stick it out until you get into a truly fuck you im out financial position. $200k savings ain't shit given your income.
>>
File: 1439992840666.jpg (59 KB, 400x568) Image search: [Google]
1439992840666.jpg
59 KB, 400x568
>>1140335

Its the truth.
>interview with a new company
>they offer me a 10% raise
>say "we work new york hours"
>830am-7pm no lunch with saturdays as needed
>nope the fuck out
>>
>>1140167
>unpaid overtime

Lol... I know you are American. I am a civil engineer , if I had to work overtime then I would get paid or else I would just talk with my union representative. My boss would never know that I complained and it would solve itself and everyone who works overtime will get paid so they better always pay overtime.
>>
>>1140152
Honestly man, $100k isn't enough money to sacrifice happiness. I wouldn't consider working a 9-5 that I didn't like unless it was for half a mill a year.
>>
>>1140335
It's true. I'm a Senior Business Intelligence Engineer for a major telecom. I make over $100k

I put in about 50 hours a week. Very rarely 55- 60 but it sometimes happens.

Then again, other weeks I put in 30 hours. Particularly those weeks when holidays are on us.

I'm expected to respond to "high visibility" emails. If a Senior level person is asking a question during the evening I need to try and respond if my boss hasn't responded in a few hours - or if my boss said "Anon can you weigh in?"

We share incident response. When it's my turn, if a job in "critical path" breaks and Tier 1 can't fix it, I need to fix it. There is no shift differential paid for this.

I'm aspiring for an Architect position next, then Director, then probably VP or something. Those jobs have even longer hours with better pay and more lucrative time off during holidays.
>>
>>1140373
to be honest family the 140k is an outlier
normally I make much less, like 70k guaranteed with whatever bonus tacked on at the end of year
>>
>>1140189
I'm ~25, considering a career change to a business research position vs my current white collar customer service job.

>>1140191
I could probably pay them off this year if I stopped all investment and don't buy another car. I live with a roommate and drive a beater, and I spend 15-25 dollars a week on food.
>>
>>1140388
lol riiiiiiiiiiight
>>
What industry and why don't you like your job?

Have you tried moving into management instead?

That's what professionals who get bored do most of the time.
>>
>>1140388
I'm occasionally angry with myself for signing up to work a job that I dislike. Also the quality of work that I do is unrelated to my pay and my career progression is minimal. I received a cost of living adjustment but I am not going to actually get a raise for the next three years, and a cost of living adjustment is 49 cents an hour.
>>
>>1140421
I work in customer service, dmv style, but I am not allowed to sit down. I don't actually have a desk, mailbox, or any meaningful amount of personal space in the workplace, and I am not permitted to decorate the walls.

I also am extremely anti-social and responsible for speaking to 200-300 people per day, and I am not allowed to work from home.

Management opportunities are usually reserved to people who have an MBA or complete a management track-in program.
I would be happier in a cubicle, honestly.
>>
>>1140432
How the hell do you make $100K doing customer service?
>>
>>1140401
But do you get to actually sit down ?

When you generate paperwork do you have a desk to file it?

Or do you have to tape it on the wall until one of your three, seven, or twelve immediate, departmental, or senior managers takes it down in the morning and "coaches" you about it?
>>
>>1140434
You go to graduate school for four years and get really good at answering questions.
>>
>>1140436
I have one of those adjustible desks. I spend half the day sitting half standing. It's a good way to stimulate my brain and it's healthy to stand.

Roughly 1/3 of my week is spent in meetings. I sit for those.

I rarely generate paperwork. I make and perfect data warehousing objects and executive reporting tools. If I need to print something I print it, put the notes on it I need to help with development, then pitch it. But I do have locking drawers for those rare instances when I need to keep things.

I'm pretty good about the clean desk policies.

I keep a notebook full of notes, and take it home every night.

When I work on weekends/evenings I'm either patching a bug or just weighing in on a design idea. No paperwork needed.
>>
>>1140436
I don't have three, seven, or twelve immediate, departmental, or senior managers. I have a team lead, and a Senior Director I report to. Above him is VP of Data Technology, then CIO.

I don't have one of those shitty jobs with umpteen bosses. Used to, but I quit.
>>
File: 1447743513332.gif (789 KB, 444x272) Image search: [Google]
1447743513332.gif
789 KB, 444x272
>>1140438
what kind of questions, I would love to be on my feet all day talking to 300-400 people and im better educated than 95% of humanity.
>>1140152

WTF, do you actually do? Please tell me, I want to see if this is something for me. I am a desk bound creative/technical now but its not social enough.
>>
>>1140465
>Used to, but I quit.

This is a great point.
>>
>>1140463
>When I work on weekends/evenings
cuck
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-23-06-27-38.png (595 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-23-06-27-38.png
595 KB, 2560x1440
>>1141487
>>
>>1140152
Saving 18 k in the 401k and 5500 in a Roth IRA is pretty good all things considered. That's 23500 in tax advantaged accounts. Do you use Roth 401k?
>>
>>1140326
falling for the daytrading meme
>>
>>1140438
I actually know someone who is doing this with a PhD in biology. Works for a biotech customer service, helps with machines, experiments etc.

is that similar to you? How did you wrack up that much debt if you did STEM degree?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.