[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vanguard question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 240x196) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 240x196
Was looking up investments the other day and came across these and was just wondering what sort of money could you make on these or well I should say what sort of % return rate could you expect to see.
ALso whats the min time you should use these ones for ?

Im 27 and I was thinking of getting 2 or maybe 3 different ones.
One of them to cash out hopefully by the time im 30 so I can buy a house and the other one to cash out when im like 60.

I have only really started looking up little bits the other week about stocks and investments so Im still learning.

Another question I have £500 in premium bonds what I bought like 10 years ago,ive only won money from it twice )I think £50 each does any one know if its worth adding more money to this ? its a crap investment but itss one of them things where its just sitting there and if I was in need of emergency money its tucked away safe.Ive never really needed that £500 so thats why it has just been left there.
>>
another thing is this the right site to buy them off
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/openaccount?CompLocation=etfs_etf-costs&Component=OpenBrokerageAcctRN&acctType=NewAcct
>>
Wtf are these things?
>>
1.35% returns, below infation rate for pretty much every year over the last 30 except 2015. (pic related)
You're literally relying on the "prizes" to make any kind of ROI.
Might as well "invest" in Euromillion tickets.
Pro-tip: The word premium is used to market subpar products, regardless of product type.
>>
I have £5 worth of premium bonds but it's not something I would put more money into. I'd rather actively grow my money.

These are more like a lottery but unlike a normal lottery they chances of winning do actually rise the more of them you hold. If you know what I mean. In a normal lottery, each ticket has an equal chance of winning, premium bonds has a cumulative effect.

I think that's right anyway.

But if you're not bothered about that £500 then sure just leave it there and use other money to invest with.
>>
>>1139001
well thats why its just been left there and forgotten about its only £500 and I bought it when I was like 17-18 I think (im 27 now)

So any way what about these vanguards can someone shed a bit of light on them ?

Im thinking of buying 2 of them.I seen there is one what invests in big corporations like facebook which I think I would use for my retirement plan
Then their are slightly more riskier ones for mining and energy which I think I would be interested for the short term 3-5 years so It could help me get on the property ladder..

I think I will just pay the $3000-£2120 and then add £50 to each of them each month and do that auto reinvest thing.

So if I maintained a job all through the rest of my life I would have invested from my own money
£21920 in my retirement plan and £3920 on my house saving plan.

Now What sort of returns could I expect on that ?
Is there anything better I could do with my money,especially for the short term plan ?
>>
>>1139039
so
VTSMX for retirement
and
VGENX or VGPMX for the short term house saving.

But that's just what I have in mind after a very brief read of whats what
>>
>>1139039

I can't see exactly what you're talking about as you need to be logged in but I think you're probably talking about mutual funds or ETF's or something.

If you're new to investing, as I am as well, then yes mutual funds are a simple and relatively safe place to start. You can effectively open a brokerage account with lots of different companies and most of them will have access to many different firms mutual funds and you can just choose which ones. They will show you what returns you might be able to achieve but always with the usual caveats: the value of your investments can fall as well as rise, blah blah.

If you want to do it yourself, then you have to read up and do it yourself or pay a financial adviser to do it for you. It's really not hard though, just keep reading as you are and educating yourself.
>>
>>1139001
>>1138942
Get out of Premium Bonds now. They're complete trash. Get a Hargreaves Lansdown account and but some tracker funds.

Or if you're worried for some lame reason, get a Help to Buy ISA. Even if you don't use it to buy a home, you get 4% interest with Halifax.
>>
>right this is what I was going to invest in
>retirement-30 years

(VTSMX)
Expenses: 0.17%, or $17 for every $10,000 invested
Minimum Initial Investment: $3,000

Whether you are looking for a low-cost, diversified mutual fund for 2016 or a solid core holding to buy for the long term, Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSMX) can be a smart choice.

VTSMX is the biggest mutual fund in the world for a reason: It’s a low-cost index fund that provides exposure to the entire U.S. stock market. And in 2016, the market is all but guaranteed to see more of the uncertainty and volatility that dominated the financial big picture in in 2015.

Therefore, investors are smart to make diversification a central investing philosophy now.

VTSMX primarily holds high-quality large caps like Apple (AAPL), Microsoft (MSFT) and Exxon Mobil (XOM), but shareholders also get exposure to mid-cap and small-cap stocks, which makes VTSMX more diverse than S&P 500 index funds.

>short term-5 years
Vanguard Energy (VGENX)
Expenses: 0.37%
Minimum Initial Investment: $3,000

Investors looking into buying into a beaten-down energy sector would be wise to consider Vanguard Energy (VGENX).

While picking a bottom for oil can be a tricky and risky game, 2016 is arguably the best time to buy oil-related stocks in the past seven years or so. With the price of oil hitting a multiyear low in 2015, and more downside potential in the short-term, 2016 may prove to be a good place to buy energy stocks at depressed levels.

VGENX doesn’t hold the riskier small-cap stocks, and the portfolio consists of high-quality large-cap names like Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) and Chevron Corporation (CVX).

And the industry mix is pretty straightforward — about 40% of the fund is dedicated to integrated oil and gas companies, while another 35% is invested in exploration and production companies.

>Now how do I workout what sort of money I could make back from that ?
>>
File: Untitled.png (67 KB, 1023x576) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
67 KB, 1023x576
>>1139143
What would you recommend me reading ??
I found pic related yesterday so I was going to grab a couple this week.Dunno which ones yet though.

>>1139151
I only have the premium bonds because like I said I bought them when I was like 17 or 18 (10 years ago) then basically just forgot about them because I only have £500 in it....

I will look into one of them accounts but im brand fucking new at this.Probably wont invest for another 2 months or so need to read a lot more about it.
>>
>>1139159
>And in 2016, the market is all but guaranteed to see more of the uncertainty and volatility that dominated the financial big picture in in 2015.
Wow Vanguard confirmed for snake oil salesman.

DO NOT repeat DO NOT buy a total market fund until the inevitable crash. Unless you see the SP500 near tripling to 5000, you will never be able to match being patient, buying the crash below 1000 and riding it back up.

>Vanguard Energy (VGENX)
The is a very good buy if you are going to index. It will cost you the big gains because of:
>VGENX doesn’t hold the riskier small-cap stocks, and the portfolio consists of high-quality large-cap names like Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) and Chevron Corporation (CVX).
...but also minimize risk and near guarantees big returns.

Next I would get into an emerging markets fund. Check out VWO. Like the energy fund, VWO is trading at lows and is considered a good buy by many prominent hedgefund managers who feel emerging markets are very attractive at current prices.

You're on the right track and sound like you know what you want out of investing. Do me a favor... BUY LOW. Wait out the funds that are trading at all time highs. You are patient enough to index, you must be patient enough to wait for an entry point
>>
>>1139159
>>1139163

Yeah when you're dealing with these sorts of funds you can't go far wrong. And it's not like you're committed for life. It's always good to adjust things over time to reflect the current times. Most brokerages offer all sorts of information and reading material. Watch business news, keep your ear to the ground. Read some off the wall shit like /biz/ (there are nuggets of good stuff around here). And the internet itself. The largest recourse for information the world has ever known. Any question you could probably ever want to know, right at your finger tips.

No need to rush either. You've got 30 or 40 years...
>>
>>1139170
I know what I want but I still sort of havent got a fucking clue aot all these terms and shit.

ANd yeah ill be very patient mite as well be because like I said this is going to be my early retirment money.

AND FOR WHO SAID GET A SAVE TO BUY ISA EVEN IF YOU DONT USE THE MONEY TO BUY A HOUSE.

My friend got one and said you have to buy a house with the money and on top of that if you sell the house you have to give some money back....true or not ?
>>
>>1139176
But how do I Workout what sort of potential i could get back.Mainly interested in this for 3-5 year thing..
>>
>>1139239

Does it not give you any sort of guidance? The brokerage I use has all it's funds listed with past data for 1, 3 and 5 years. But that's exactly it, it's past data. It's more a matter of risk and return. All the funds I look at will show you a risk profile too. The more risk you're prepared to take, the higher potential returns. But as we all know, shit can happen, nothing is certain. No one has a crystal ball.
>>
>>1139259
>Vanguard Energy (VGENX
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0051&FundIntExt=INT#tab=0

well thats the energy one but im stil ltrying to figure out how to read and understand it all.like I said im a noob.and btw that one has went down hill but I just think it could be worth investing in.
>>
>>1139269

Yeah well that's showing you, on their risk scale it's 5/5, maximum risk.

It depends on your tolerance for risk. That fund would be a bit narrow for me. If I had it in a basket of other funds with various other sectors as well to diversify stuff up a bit then maybe but I wouldn't put everything all in there.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.