[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
startup team
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
How do I get together the right team for my website startup?
>>
Gut instinct and luck
>>
>>1136744
Where from, though?
>>
What are you bringing to the company? What kind of products or services is the website going to offer? vague as fuck
>>
>>1136743
Lie to them about how good your idea is. Lie to them about how good the other people you've brought in are.

Donald Trump described this in (I think it was this book) the Art of the Deal. He had a special word for it. It basically means bringing your idea, which may not be true at the moment, into reality just by merit of you believing it and making other people believe that it is true. He would lie to lenders about the awesome team he had assembled for the project when he needed to build their confidence for lending him money. He would lie to the people he wanted to bring onto his team about the awesome deals he made to start his project and the qualifications of other people he'd brought into the project. He would then use having that person on his team to hype his project to even better people, telling them how great his team is.

Just lie to everybody about something that is going to be true if they believe it is. Lie about how great your idea is. Lie about how great your team is. Lie about how great a deal you got on x y and z so people think you're shrewd and capable. It works, believe me.
>>
>>1136750
I'm the founder and the website is a video file sharing/streaming website.
>>
>>1136757

The founder of what? You don't even have a team

>inb4 idea guy

School is a good place to meet people for this kind of thing
>>
I can't think of any other way but networking and pitching the idea to some classmates or something in the hopes they become open to the idea and enthusiastically join the team, but at the same time most kids in college majoring in CS don't really have the skills necessary to do any anything.

The other way is hiring developers which I can't because I don't have that kind of money.

Is there any other way? Is it common to ask people to join my team without pay but for a cut off the company?
>>
>>1136783
What is a manager? I'd be in charge of deciding who joins and I'd be in charge of directing what team has to do.
>>
>>1136792
Sell me your website. What is it? Describe it to me like you want me to invest in it or join your team.
>>
>>1136803
I'm not asking for your approval so why should i?
>>
>>1136805
I just want to see what you've got that other video sharing/streaming website do not.
>>
>>1136743
Get cheap college kids and do so by numbers.
>>
>>1136801

Managers are people have worked in the field and have learned the trade in-depth and can direct the work of other people efficiently. You don't just become a manager out of thin air because you had a neat idea.
>>
>>1136839
Isn't that what Steve Jobs did?
>>
File: LzYEnFB.jpg (152 KB, 940x1238) Image search: [Google]
LzYEnFB.jpg
152 KB, 940x1238
Got a bit of back story there? :\

You build it yourself, then hire a coder to take it further while you manage the infrastructure, then hire an infrastructure guy whiles you masterbate into a super dolfie
>>
>>1136942
The "I want to be a manager" kid that has no idea what it means.

If you want to start a small business then the "manager" is the CEO/owner who will not really boss around the workers but will get together a bunch of people who will most likely do what they want on the project. The "manager" is the guy approving ideas, not making ideas and to become the manager you need a capital and a lot of contacts in the scene.
>>
>>1136958
Shhh. Stop pretending you know what you're saying.
>>
File: 1456212306381.jpg (49 KB, 449x425) Image search: [Google]
1456212306381.jpg
49 KB, 449x425
>>1136960
>Ask for help
>Doesn't like answer
>SHHHH BE QUIET

Are you serious?

You're trying to create a startup on streaming which server costs are huge, it won't cost 20 dollars like it does to create a wordpress blog.

If your idea is worth anything you can expect the big boys like Twitch, Hitbox and Google try to kill you off instantly.

If you still want to do it I suggest you create everything by yourself, it's incredibly hard to cooperate work based on just an idea. Then get a loan to finance everything or get someone with money to finance it for a cut. Then slowly replace your work with workers (database maintenance guy, guy that codes more features) slowly growing your business.
>>
>>1136986
Every fucking time lol
>>
>>1136991
Take my advice or don't.

If you consider the good and promising advice / information as true, you're in for a ride.
>>
>>1136991
You should just go kill yourself with that attitude.
>>
>>1137010
You first
>>
>>1136743
Find who you connect with and can understand your plan for the business.
Make sure you can trust them and can understand what they can offer for the business.
Make sure you can trust them. This is a really general statement, but you can try to tell if they will be there when times go sour.

I am no expert on startups (disclaimer), but it basically comes down to, in my opinion, who you can trust and see as someone you can spend a lot of time with without getting annoyed, while also having good decision making,
>>
>>1137037
Just need to befriend some developers but I'm a /g/ tier autist. I think I'm fucked.
>>
You need to construct this on your own. Construct an MVP that demonstrates why you're idea is so cool, then if it really is a good idea people will flock to you. Talk about it everywhere, talk it up to everyone. You never know if the person you're talking to could be the person who has what you need to get to the next step. Most importantly, understand that this idea will fail...and that's ok. You'll be better suited for your next venture, maybe with some people in your pocket for the next time. Keep expanding, trying new things, talking to the right people. It will take time, it will take energy, and it will stress you out more than you thought possible...but it will be a hell of a ride if you can stick with it.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.