[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/brainstorming/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1453725994764.jpg (61 KB, 484x484) Image search: [Google]
1453725994764.jpg
61 KB, 484x484
Brainstorming general. In here we brainstorm ideas, topics, projects.

Topic Proposal: Trends

Lately I've been trying to find my niche in sales. My girlfriend recently pointed out to me that following trends closely and capitalizing on those trends is really effective in the short run. Right now I'm selling an item on eBay that is "In" right now on tumblr.

Scanning various social media sites and looking for upcoming trends in niche communities/subcultures is pretty solid.

Have any thoughts? Experiences? Subcultures that you cater to?
>>
The problem with this business model is that I don't see it scaling easily. It looks like a great side line, but it will never be a real business.

Doing stuff on a business scale takes time. Say you want to buy a container of X new trendy product, you're looking at say 3 weeks for the chinks to produce, package and pack everything, 3 weeks at sea, 1 week to clear customs and delivered to your warehouse, by the time all that's done the trend is probably over.
>>
>>1136610
This is true. You really have to jump on it early. It's a very quick money thing but it does the job.

Long term you would just have to find that niche and sell it hard. I can't seem to find mine though.
>>
>>1136615

Actually that might work

If you could detect the trends on day 1 and get the goods on the water fast enough, you might be able to catch enough trends to be profitable

It's more risky for sure, some things you order will turn out to be duds, because you didn't wait long enough and the trend died in 3 days or something

But if the margins are high enough on the ones you do catch you should be able to eat an occasional loss like that
>>
>>1136623
Exactly. You just have to have an eye for trends and hope on them.
>>
>>1136623
>>1136627

To do this right I would suggest finding a partner on the ground in China who is fluent in Mandarin and experienced in sourcing things quickly

You wouldn't have a chance in hell searching alibaba
>>
>>1136596

can you really make a good profit selling junk on ebay? seems like you'll get killed on fees and shipping costs
>>
>>1136632
The item I'm selling right now cost $0.27 on Aliexpress. It sells for $2.99 on eBay daily and the shipping fees and shipping are about $0.70 so it's decent because I sell a few a day.
>>
>>1136632

In this scenario you may be the only domestic supplier of a niche product

This lets you make a real margin, compared to everything else on ebay which is commoditized

Having said that I would explore setting up your own web shop as well
>>
>>1136638
This is the next step I want to do. Setting up a web shop is great if you have the audience for it. I would like to find a more consistent method before I do though.

The niche I'm looking into at the moment is kinda related to the OP pic. The style is growing in popularity and is on its course to be the new "steampunk" alternative fantasy like meme.
>>
Brainstorming more ideas.

How does one profit from the inevitable uprising of the environmentally conscious?

It's clear that this will be in the public spotlight in the next few years. Whether you believe global warming exists or not doesn't matter. What does matter is how we capitalize on its popularity among the masses.
>>
Its like the guy fawkes mask
>>
>>1136678
env consulting, duh. phase I, phase II LSIs. get in with a local drill crew, make mad dosh.

protip: go around town dumping gas and perc everywhere, then do ESAs at those sites.
>>
>>1136596
To flip your idea around, why not make trends? Go viral or make accounts or something and make some shit go viral like that damn Daniel stuff. Just keep reblogging/tweeting whatever and then sell an item that focuses on that trend
>>
>>1136775
My main goal is in fact having my own IT consulting/ security consulting business. I just want to have experience running a business so this is like a side project I want to do to get experience.
>>
>>1136873
env consulting aint exactly a side business. pick a field bro. if hand augering, spt sampling, autocad, and excel aint your thing, dont even fucking worry about environmentalism
>>
>>1136874
Oh I'm not. I wouldn't dare try that. I'm currently majoring in information systems and would just do network and sever consulting.

I was just trying to do a little side business until I graduate and work in the field. Then after a few years start up a consulting business.
>>
>>1136877
i may have misunderstood what you meant by "environmentally conscious". i take it you dont mean env consulting, are you talking about gardens? efficient lightbulbs? recycling? alt fuels? redevelopment of brownfields? preserving land?

im currently starting up three bristlecone bonsais i stole from a natl park, plan on selling them in a year or two if they dont die on me.
>>
>>1136882
I mean like making a product for environmentally conscious people. Such as an app or product that can be sold to people to make them feel like they are "Saving the planet man".

The reason this would be a good trend to hope on is because climate change and whatnot is becoming a big concern in politics and will eventually become a big concern in the public eye.

So to profit it would be wise to create something that has something to do with this trend.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.