[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I live in Tennessee and am gonna go to one of the Technical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2
File: electricain.jpg (232 KB, 500x458) Image search: [Google]
electricain.jpg
232 KB, 500x458
Hey guys, I live in Tennessee and am gonna go to one of the Technical College of Applied Technology's near me to sign up for a trade to start in the fall. It is between 2 or 3 things I think. I was thinking about either Welding, Electrician, Hvac, or Automotive Technology. As of right now I have really no skills in either of them, but I like the thought of being an electrician because I think the wiring could be really fun and I do want to make good money and have a secure job. What does /biz/ think would be best for me? Thanks so much!
>>
Get there first and come back sharing your experience.
>>
I went for hvac currently not in that trade but it got me a job that got me a better job so just do that faggot
>>
>>1135107
The school? Will do
>>
>>1135105
bump
>>
>>1135105
bump
>>
>>1135105
Well don't do automotive unless you want a production job. Chattanooga has VW plant but it's non union so the pay might be shit.

HVac is still pretty high in demand but you have to be good at it. I would start in electrical and move to hvac if you think you'll like it.

Don't go to any school that doesn't have career services. Don't start school until you know what kind of loans your getting. Don't do anything until you've researched the schools accreditation. You'd be surprised how many trade schools aren't accredited. That's really important because the try to sell you an "associate degree" for some shit no one knows anything about. To verify the legitimacy of the school contact a local electrician union and ask if they ever heard of them

Protect yourself first. School is an investment and your in the business of making money. The market for trade work is in demand but a lot of that is speculative so companies can say no one is qualified and get h-1b status foreign workers.

Research the shit out of a career before you pull the trigger.
>>
>>1135786
Thank you for the response. So only credited schools right? And wait, they give you an associates degree? I dont want a degree, i want the diploma or certification. Can you explain what you mean about the associated degree thing? And yeah would you recomend a union? I am trying to find someone near me that teaches the electrician thing. But the TCAT doesnt have electrician near me unless i wana travel 50 minutes every day which i really don't. I might go visit them today the ones that have welding to get more info, though
>>
>>1135944
>So only credited schools right?
Unless you want to get ripped off then yes, only accredited schools

>And wait, they give you an associates
degree?
A state college might but a tech school cannot unless they are accredited. They also should be accredited/certified by an industry association or union or even government agency. If they don't have any of that then the school is a scam.

>Can you explain what you mean about the associated degree thing?
If they are accredited then you can use the credits from the associates degree to get into a university for a better degree in the same state. Like a bachelor's degree in engineering.

>And yeah would you recomend a union?
I don't know of an electrician unions personally but every trade has a certificated association that represents their respective industry. IBEW is the union for electricians and their licensing agency is LLE for example.

Do a lot of research before you pull the trigger and sign up for loans. More people drop out of trades than any other higher education because they didn't do their research.
>>
>>1135990
I dont want a degree though, that is why I cant finish college in the first place because of the fucking courses like math and english I cannot pass for the life of me. I dont want to go to liberal havens
>>
>>1135990
Also, what kind of research should I be doing? Where and how do I look to make sure I chose the right thing?
>>
>>1136041
>I dont want a degree though
Then don't buy into it. ITT tech, for example, offers it but that place is a diploma mill with no real accreditation. So don't go there. Likewise if any school tries to sell you a degree don't go there. It's that simple.

>Also, what kind of research should I be doing?
Ummm idk maybe start with Google and go from there? Cross reference your findings and call sources that look interesting. Tennessee probably has a resource site for any trade since they do the licensing.

>Where and how do I look to make sure I chose the right thing?
The easiest way I can answer that is to look up the requirements for licensing and call them. Ask them for resources and recommendations so you can look at what works best for you. Figure out what you want first because trades are hard and not for everyone.
>>
>>1136066
Instead of a degree what to professionals call it? Diploma or cert?
>>
How old are you, OP? I learned electrical in the Air Force.
>>
>>1136071
Diploma is a degree. I have an associate diploma in applied science for aviation technology for example. But I don't use it for the job, that is for my license, which is an airframe and power plant license from the federal aviation administration. (FAA A&P). Most licensing can come with certs or ratings. A licensed electrician can be certified as a master or journeyman by the state they operate in. They can also be licensed in more than one state.
>>
>>1136086
That is kind of confusing to me, so when looking for a school I dont want a degree or diploma? Since they are the same?
>>1136083
>>
>>1136088
Technically. Its whatever bullshit the school says it is. Typically a degree comes from a school that has been accredited. A diploma can be that or just something to show you completed the program.

I used my diploma to get an associate degree from Embry Riddle four years ago. It was a different degree from my associate of applied science because I had to take their courses to complete an associate (English, math, history, etc.) I did it like that so I could get my bachelor in business administration. It took a year off of my bachelor and saved me $14k
>>
out of Welding, Electrician, Hvac, or Automotive Technology, which could you learn from most to start your own company? I want to learn to weld, is there potential to start my own company with this skill?
>>
>>1136159
Just to make yourself a company, HVAC or Electrical is the way to go. Might be able to open a auto shop by yourself, but that costs a lot more initial $$ for a garage, equipment, etc. Im not sure about welding
>>
Which of the trades involves the least physical exertion/danger?
>>
>>1136096
I dont know how to find a school that offers that near me. I typed in my zip code of 37066 here and this is what came up. How do I know which one to pick or what one isnt bullshit?

http://www.trade-schools.net/zip-search-results.aspx?z=37066&c=291&ct=3
>>
>>1136178
IT tech
>>
>>1136251
You have to investigate each one. Visit their website or Google the name and what they're accredited for.
>>
>>1136378
Should i listen to the reviews on the main page?
>>
>>1136178
as far as physical exertion, stationary engineer/boiler operator.
the danger of boiler failure is incredible if you dont follow procedures though.
>>
File: CcRcfKrWEAAb9YQ.jpg (116 KB, 836x507) Image search: [Google]
CcRcfKrWEAAb9YQ.jpg
116 KB, 836x507
>Welding
With automation, you'll never make more than $20/hour unless you become a certified pipe fitter and join a Union. And then you'll never have a home because you'll have to travel to wherever the oil jobs go.

>Electrician
I don't know much about this field. I only know 1 electrician and he does okay. I think he makes $30/hour as a maintenance person for a plant. It's in the food industry so I bet that's why he gets paid so well.

>Hvac
What I do and is probably the best of all trades. Especially if you move down south where I am. I live in Texas and people NEED their AC. There's plenty of opportunity to become self employed and make a killing too. People say it's saturated but that isn't true when you have to wait up to a week sometimes for a tech to have time to come see you.

>Automotive Technology
I don't know how much this covers but my roommate is a mechanic for a forklift company. He goes around to warehouses and places that use their forklifts and fixes them. They are mostly propane engine but some diesel. He makes about $60K a year, has no boss hovering over him, etc.
>>
>>1136447
My dad was a boiler engineer. Is that something that is a good career to do? He made bank because he worked at a museum. But the thing is I can't find anyone near me that offers anything but welding
>>
>>1136456
Thanks for typing all that. Yeah welding is offered all over by me. I'm around the Nashville area and its everywhere. I was really thinking about electrician but maybe HVAC isn't a bad idea. I think they are both 16 months programs though which kinda sucks. I dont know anything about frequency of school and whatnot or how much you go but I'm excited to get intosomething. Elec, HVAC or welding. Fuck the cars
>>
>>1136447
I am a stationary engineer, but it involves walking around all day in the plant. For physical exertion it is mostly walking and carting around salt bags but that is only a few hours a week. So it has some short bursts of hard labour.
>>
>>1136466
depends on the state and company.

there are no 'master' licenses like plumber or electrician, instead there are 4 or 5 classes of stationary engineer. the higher the class, the more boiler horse-power per boiler you can legally operate. to become one you apprentice under a licensed stationary engineer. SOME states will let you take a 3rd/4th class license exam if you have a bachelors of mechanical engineering degree. in my state this requirement is marine engineering and is given by Maine maritime academy.

basically you make sure large boilers dont explode. there are certain procedures that must be kept or some parts will stop working correctly. for example some low water cutoffs are mechanical, and if you dont blow down the cutoff control with water, sediment from the water will fill in around the arm of the control, locking it into an always on position. the reason i know this is because my grandfather gave me a lecture about this. with his sons, he plumbed a large steam boiler back in the 1980s for heating a section of a small city. the maintenance personnel never did his job, simply clocked in and clocked out for a living. one day he got a call that there was strange smells coming from the boiler room.
he investigated and it was dry firing because of the situation above. the fire tube temperature was way over the temp for vaporization of steam and any water introduced into the boiler would auto flash to steam, over power the relief valve and explode the boiler.

you may work in a power plant as a control operator, or just a simple district school or hospital. may have staggered shifts/have to work graveyard shift.
>>
>>1135105
I'd avoid welding. Welders are a dime a dozen. Even illegals can weld. HVAC is what I would go with. That's what my buddy did and he's doing pretty good for himself. When I was younger and looking at trade school everyone suggested hvac because easy to find job and pretty good pay.
>>
>>1136606
Yeah good point. Okay so HVAC or electrician
>>
>>1136606
what if i love to travel and want to work overseas for big money? Is welding best for me?
>>
>>1135105
>electrician
>I do want to make good money and have a secure job.

Actual electrician here. I feel the need to point out to you that construction is the least secure and least stable of all industries in the US. Electricians get laid off every time a recession comes and we change companies every 1-5 years because no one wants to give raises.
>>
>>1136682
Couldnt i go into something that isnt construction?
>>
Top Tier
>instrumentation and controls
>industrial electrician
>fire alarm technician

High Tier
>gasfitter
>HVAC
>powerline technician
>machinist/CNC programmer
>locksmith

Mid Tier
>welder
>residential electrician
>boilermaker
>carpenter
>heavy equipment technicians
>millwright
>ironworker

Meh Tier
>bricklayer
>heavy equipment operators
>glazier
>painter
>appliance repair

Shit Tier
>automotive
>floor laying
>insulator
>roofing
>paving

Literally shit tier
>plumber
>>
>>1136710
Difference between industrial elec and residential elec is what?. And sweet, hvac and industrial elec are both way up there. Thats a good thing. I guess fuck welding then
>>
heard the job markets for construction workers are booming
>>
>>1136730
Industrial is setting up electrical shit for factories, processing plants, warehouses, etc.

Residential is houses, maybe apartments or small shops.

My grandfather does both and he says industrial kicks residentials ass in terms of pay. He charges $100 in labor an hour btw and he's always loaded with work. Try to get into both.

Residential will be a little easier and comfier, but industrial is where the big bucks are.
>>
>>1136763
Is it true you need to know tons of math and stuff?
>>
If you're just chasing money and want a job that requires no thinking, math, planning, or common sense, then i would think twice about trades like HVAC, electrical, and even welding. Theres shit out there that will kill and/or seriously injure you if you dont have your shit together, or end up burning down houses or factories if you slip up. Theres a lot of personal responsibility in these jobs, no foreman or boss wants to constantly hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do after some time in the field, not saying you cant get there, but as a carpenter I've seen a lot of different people that dont make it very long unless they like what they do, not just go into it for the money.
>>
>>1136857
Yea I understand that. But I am not retarded, I think I can do a good job in these careers
>>
I wonder about lineman that put up lights on the highway
>>
OP here, anyone know anything about this college? Is it legit, or a scam? How do I even find out?

http://www.miller-motte.edu/career-training-programs/skilled-trades-training-other
>>
>>1137430
bump
>>
>>1135990
IBEW is really political and hard to get in. You generally have to know someone.
>>
>>1137719
I wonder if that is true everywhere though
>>
>Technical College of Applied Technology

This should be your first clue, anon.
>>
>>1138044
I'm not following
>>
>>1136574
Is this kind of what we were talking about?

https://sourcerefrigeration.hua.hrsmart.com/hrsmart/ats/Posting/view/3309/0
>>
hmmmm
>>
I was thinking about choosing between an electrician and someone doing HVAC. How do i choose in the end? I feel like I would like them both, but I have no real skill in either in general, or trades but I know I want to do 1 of them. How do i figure out what I should do? I know I should be trying for an apprenticeship, but how do i know whats a scam or not? How do I know which one of those to pick for something I want to master?
>>
>>1135786
>Well don't do automotive unless you want a production job. Chattanooga has VW plant but it's non union so the pay might be shit.

Didn't they vote to unionize recently?
>>
>>1136861
>>1136861
>I'm not retarded

>>1138062
This post says otherwise
>>
>>1138718
Not understanding what he said in a post doesnt make me retarded
>>
>>1139055

These jobs you're wanting require a good amount of attention to detail, and being able to figure out things on your own or troubleshooting problems. Pretty much the exact thing you're failing to do at the moment as evidenced by your questions and responses in this thread.

You would make a great laborer though.
>>
>>1139057
Yeah because that guys post totally made sense right? Icame here because I dont know what to pick or do, I dont know shit about technical colleges. What detail is there to pay attention too?
>>
>>1136041
You'll need some basic math as an electrician i thought.
>>
>>1139069
Define basis math
>>
>>1139208
You're a retard, just get a job in retail.
>>
>>1139262
We get it, you dont like me. But I wasnt asking you.
>>
>>1138062
The name of the school has redundancies in it. "Technical" and "Technology" both have the same root and when used as a part of a name, both mean the same thing. Is kind of like naming a school "The Gay Institute of Homoerotic Art for Fags". The name gives less credibility to what youre studying. Good schools, such as CalTech (California Institute of Technology) and M.I.T. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) dont have this redundancy. Shit schools, such as I.T.T. Tech (Institute of Technological Technology Technical Institute) do.
>>
>>1139277
No, you are an idiot. If you don't fail outta trade school, you'll be fired within your first month on the job. You can't even find a school and do your own research. How the fuck can you work on your own. Get a job in retail.
>>
>>1139305
I see, thank you for clearing that up
>>
>>1139069
So I just checked out the pre apprenticeship math exam I found online. Holy shit, 110 questions. I mean it doesnt look terrible but some of the questions I dont really know. Does this look accurate?

http://www.okanagan.bc.ca/Assets/Departments+(Education)/Trades+$!26+Apprenticeship/Apprenticeship+Office/Documents/Electrician+Entrance+Exam.pdf
>>
>>1139411

Yes, that looks incredibly accurate for a middle school level pre-algebra exam, and the very, very basics of electricity.

If this is a struggle for you, then save your money and forget about trade school. Otherwise hit some fucking books and get your basic high school level math skills up to par.

>>1139305

Thats a good explanation but its just OP being fucking dumb...again. What he meant was "Tennessee College of Applied Technologies."
>>
http://www.abctennessee.com/education-training/apprenticeship-training/

Here is this, but i dont think they pay for your schooling even though they say it is an apprenticeship program. Or something they teach you.
>>
Just realized

>All discussion should pertain to business, finance, and economics related topics. This includes financial markets, securities, currencies (including cryptocurrencies), and commodities—as well as topics relating to starting and running a business.

This isn't /adv/ so fuck off.
>>
>>1139685
Still shitposting in my thread huh? Boy you cant get enough can you
>>
>>1135110
Can you elaborate more on this?
>>
>>1139920
Yeah went to hvac tech school at 18 got me a commercial hvac job for $13.50/hr saw a city maintenance job for $15.38/hr got that and they required me to get a cdl, got that worked there for ~8 months saw a local route trucking job for $21 hr I'm 21 now and doing pretty well just hauling dirt from point a to point b for a foundation company
>>
>>1139929
AH so you did end up going the hvac tech route huh? So it was like a 16 month brogram and you only made 13.50? Thatprobably wasnt all to exciting for the time put into it. How did you get the city maintenance job? Like what were the qualifications besides cdl? Was it for HVAC?
>>
>>1139943
program**
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.