[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At some point you stop asking why.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 59274905.jpg (61 KB, 240x236) Image search: [Google]
59274905.jpg
61 KB, 240x236
A few days ago my boss called me to his office and said my time hedge funding was done. I was plucked out at 18 and managed a million dollar portfolio and managed to not fuck It up. Like most dumbasses I was handed a twenty five million portfolio and I didn't fuck that up. Now I was competing with some asshole with some seniority and ass kissing ability like no ones business over a eighty million portfolio and he got It handed to him and I got tossed. I'm not going to say I'm not happy, I spent three years working with some of the best guys there are and have made enough money through personal investments to last me ( born middle class ) a long, long time If not my entire life and then some. So my boss tossed me and said I was better off living off of my interest and that my " investing ability " brought nothing to the table. Now I had been curious at some of the deals we were making, nothing concrete at all but when an exec gets a call from a shareholder of another company ready to dump %15 of a company and for no reason whatsoever calls up my former mentor to tell him. This profession Is for greedy immoral men. Luckily I lasted long enough to make a pretty penny. What do I do now? I don't want my life being a game of looking at stocks but at the same time I was very graciously offered a job for a large sum of money at a young age so I didn't have to make many life deciding choices, college wasn't completed and my budget was pretty cut and dry with little money management besides keeping 11k a month for stocks. Anyone here have some advice? There aren't many people I know that are In this weird situation. I'll answer some questions In exchange for wisdom.
>>
Hedge funders are the biggest wankers I've ever met, and I've met my fair share. Do you niggers even know anything or just pour money into shit you read on Facebook?
>>
>>1131869
I made rather good investments. My lastest portfolio I managed for a year and a half and manged a %13 return rate for most stocks. I had a few stocks with a return rate closer to %2 but that was under the advisement of my mentor ( He's far more of a speculation kind of guy. ). I had a perfect GPA In finance and managed personal return rates of %11 so I've thought that shit a million times. As for most hedgers they usually have insiders or work speculatively to be frank they consider the middle classes money that they are managing as less than their own so they don't give two shits and a fuck If the firm lost a few thousand middle classers, the backbone of most long lasting firms Is a considerably sized large investor base that are either too stupid to realize you want their money, or that you're working with.
>>
>>1131886
managed*
>>
>>1131886
What kind of portfolio did you have?
>>
>>1131899
Little bit In everything. Rode the S&P for a while jumping In and out of volatile stocks for a quick gain. But I have an odd eye for stocks, I went Into some pharmaceutical and tech stock ( tech stock Is mostly speculation In regards to Twitter, FB and the like. AAPL Is obviously something long term as It manufacturers so many devices, but not nearly as speculative so I put a lot of my low risk Into Apple+IRX Bonds )with the large majority of my portfolio riding the S&P with some regular picks In the DOW with a few sets of backup picks. My personal portfolio Is more specialized to industries I actually can wrap my head around. Commodities are great when geopolitics gets involved but only for short periods so I made a lot recently selling crude at 38 from 30 by compounding the shit out of It, I moved around 200k from the Nasdaq to crude and got out when $25 a barrel seemed more like a reality than simply a way to destroy Russia's economy even more. Been on a bit of a booze bender the past few days so If some of my details are lacking point It out and I'll try to straighten It out.
>>
>>1131899
>Also energy companies. And I mean It, while oil Is down energy companies pay less for COGS, investing Into foreign energy Is also a good choice, I rode a Shanghai based automated construction company that won a few contracts to expand reactors across China.
>>
Could you walk us through you valuation process?

What do you look at/for when deciding on a buy/sell?
What do you consider a red flag or an opportunity signal?
Which areas/sectors do you think rely too much on insider info to be profitable for outside investors?
>>
As far as wisdom, it would depend how hold you are.
I'm assuming you're in your early twenties, and considering you have all the money you need, I would recommend traveling (in your country and abroad), working odd jobs as you go along.
You don't need the money, but you could probably do with some perspective. If you have been living surrounded by hedge fund whizz kids, chances are your assessment of what is "regular" life and spending is off by a few dozens $k/a year.Living the way most people your age live,with limited resources, will help you take a step back and assess what it is you want and a better sense of the value of what you already have.
Whatever it is, the logistics are taken care off, you seem like you can afford to go back to school or start a business easily. Just expose yourself to as many perspectives and different people as you can,by living and working with them and don't party your money and your brains away.
Hope this helps and good luck.
>>
>>1132040
I came here for some wisdom lol. Tit for tat my friend. As for valuation It means a lot but It isn't the be all end all. If It were I wouldn't have made money on quarter million dollar businesses. If you understand an industry and It's an industry that has been In the game for a while you can make money, even If the sector Is doing badly. I advise using the SEC to get your finance information, It's been a bookmark of mine since I was sixteen.

As for how I buy on a personal basis Is far different than when I'm investing other peoples cash. The S&P has proven viable for the laymen to invest In and end up with a decent retirement, which Is what most people investing In hedgefunds are looking for. As for myself I have a strong geopolitical background so I like to feed off of fear and optimism along with taking advantage of low commodity prices ( Crude oil market Is being flooded with Saudi gold so I knew prices would decline, It was a waiting game to see how far It would drop. Luckily I managed to hit at a $30 low. In general sectors being affected by fear and large selloffs are the smart investors dream, right now the tech sector Is doing poorly and I'd let It continue to drop and once the hype of FB,TWTR and other speculative tech stock to fall then buy In massively. If the market crashes this year I will use my reserves ( 6.5m) to buy at their lowest point and hold out until a rebound. For someone working watching the DOW and S&P can be really beneficial.

Something I learned early on Is to listen to yourself, not others. Once you can determine gross margins, operating margins,MC ect you can begin to evaluate businesses at a basic level. I'd suggest taking atleast a basic course In finance before jumping Into any sort of investing. My path was down In the petrol and pharma worlds but I have dabbled In commodities when I feel Its a good investment or I have some gambling cash ( Not advisable obviously ).
>>
>>1131933
>AAPL bonds

you're full of shit.
>>
And after all that work experience you didn't get the chance to learn to use paragraphs?
>>
>>1132078
I'm 21 currently and have a big of money saved ( In the very low tens of m ) and was fired thursday. Right now I see two paths, buying stock to own or pulling all of my cash out and living a rich life. I've lived In a penthouse for two years after moving out of my parents but don't Indulge too much, I have two cars and smoke too much. Besides that my budget Is nill.

>>1132082
IRX Bonds, 13 week treasury notes. Wall street loves them.

>>1132085
Started drinking thursday night, took sleeping breaks but haven't stopped. Fuck with my syntax bitch, I'm a mediocre hedger and an even worse investor; all of my choices come from seeing the fear brought to you sheep from the news. It's great! You wouldn't believe my first few months and the calls I got, people shaking In their boots wanting to invest In gold. Everyone's a fool, but some fools have the ability of manipulation I have millions and dropped out of college. Welcome to NYC <3
>>
>>1132094
Can't stop drinking. Witness me.
>>
>>1132080
there's no way you worked in a hedge fund with this "strategy".

I'll just assume you are NEET and recommend you go for self improvement. Try meditating, read a couple of self help books.
>>
>>1132146
You'd be surprised at the state of wall street. If you're making %10 AR you're doing good no matter how simplistic the strategy Is. I don't feel like boring a board that knows how to calculate market cap and accounts payable and other liabilities hence why I left out how we valued and weighed stock since Its something I didn't form.
>>
>>1132100
Just.. stop. You're literally making me cringe.
>>
File: thomas the lokomotive.jpg (44 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
thomas the lokomotive.jpg
44 KB, 640x640
>>1132172

Me too. This kid should go to bed.
>>
>>1131855
You have your 7 right? Just go be a $2 broker and work when you want too.
>>
>>1131855

Obviously you should pump all that money into ETH while living in your mom's basement. Literally the dream.
>>
be the next martin shkreli
>>
Op just watched wolf of Wall Street
>>
I find it difficult to believe someone who ran a million dollar portfolio talks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He02Z5YdZbg

The only explanation is that you came down with an acute mental illness.
>>
>>1131855
I recommend a book called "The Four Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferris. Most of it is him talking about fighting your way out of wage slavery, but towards the end he also talks about the challenges and strategies of what you do once you're there. Sounds like that last part would be pretty worthwhile for you.
>>
>>1132094
you dnt have a college degree but you managed millions of dollars ???
>>
What I'd do in OP's situation (assuming he's not trolling)

>Buy a place in Uruguay, since lawd knows It's not tobacco I'm smoking too much of
>Not too nice, or even as nice as I'd like. Fixing up a place is more fun than moving into your dream home
>Grow my own and fisher king it up for a bit while deciding my next move.
>>
>>1132094

I like you OP, even if you are lying.

I keep my money in an index fund. It will stay there forever. I hate risk, I hate debt. Fuck playing the game
>>
>I dropped out and then got hired to manage 25 million dollars and then got fired over nothing
Seems legit
>>
>>1131855
I'll take shit that never happened for $200 Alex.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.