[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is better for finance C++ or Python?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: programming.jpg (79 KB, 770x513) Image search: [Google]
programming.jpg
79 KB, 770x513
what is better for finance C++ or Python?
>>
fuckin bump
>>
>>1128624
bump
>>
File: hd-header.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
hd-header.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1333
OP here bumping
>>
Depends for what.

What are you trying to do?
>>
>>1128655
just a finance career in general

I eventually want to get a masters in financial engineering / quantitative finance

just curious as to what language is preferred
>>
Any scripting language and R. Python seems to be the most popular scripting language right now, but my firm uses Lua.
>>
Depends.

This is a very shitty version of "what programming language should I learn /g/?" Its not an important decision, just learn both
>>
C++ for quants

If youndo a quantitative finance course at uni you will be forced to learn C++
>>
>>1128668
Sounds like you don't anything desu.

C++ is for desktop applications, you wouldn't write something high-level in it.

Focus more on learning and getting what you need done instead of "WHAT IS BEST".
>>
Can't use Python for interactive brokers so c++
>>
If you have to choose one, then it's clear you don't intend to devote much time to programming. For the average small project, python is a better match.
>>
>>1128676
any places online you would recommend for learning C++?
>>
>>1128676
>C++ is for desktop applications, you wouldn't write something high-level in it.

Most of the operating systems are written in C and C++ language. These include Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Apple Mac OS X, Symbian OS and Be-OS, Google Chrome OS, RIM BlackBerry OS 4.x, Apple iPhone iPod Touch and iPad OS etc. All the major RDBMS are developed in c++. Compilers and run-time environments for other programming languages are written in C++. The software that handles the manufacturing and design of Intel CPUs is written in C++.
>>
>>1128709
True but that's what I mean. It's for low-level shit.

It's efficient and fast but you don't want to be fucked with all the low level details.

If anything you can use C#, you'll write code 5x quicker.
>>
>>1128702
>>>1128676 (You)
>any places online you would recommend for learning C++?

Learn C#, use "the yellow book" by Rob miles.

It's free on his website.
>>
>>1128624
c++ is for engineers not financecucks
>>
>>1128624
C++

Read the Mark Joshi books
>>
>>1128702
go learn python on codeacademy.com
its a babby site which is ok since python is babby language
python has some pretty good mathematical support from its internal math functions
im a senior in highschool so dont take my word for too much but from what i can tell you want to create a complex mathematical algorithm yeah?
>>
File: LOTRProgramming.png (1 MB, 2000x2210) Image search: [Google]
LOTRProgramming.png
1 MB, 2000x2210
>>1128818
me again
saved this from /g/ thread a while ago
might help you out
also if you want to learn a more complex language in depth go torrent a textbook
seriously no websites going to teach you everything and youll want something you can refer back to when you need it
>>
>>1128822
thanks for the graphic homie, really helpful
>>
>>1128825
head on over to the daily programming thread on /g/ and ask for more advice there if you need
alot of them are dedicated software engineers and know their shit pretty well
sorry the infographics sorta aspie theres lots more out there but for some reason thats the one i saved
>>
>>1128733
My brother had to code some stuff in c++ as part of screening for a job doing quant trading or something.
>>
>>1128624
Python is easier to learn. Unless you are developing very sophisticated desktop applications I would stick with Python, especially if you are doing some sort of data analysis work.
>>
>>1128733
Quants use C++
>>
>>1128822
This graphs answers a few questions I had. Thanks Anon.
>>
Why not both?
>>
>>1128668
depends what you want to do, you're still not being specific

if you want to do a masters in financial engineering then C++ is important

though I'd question the usefulness of these degrees - demand for complex derivatives dropped after the crash yet years later even more people want to do these degrees. Most of the models have already been created, if there is any actual research left to do the few people doing it will have PhDs. Everyone else, PhDs and financial engineering grads will essentially be glorified software developers.. whether the job title is 'quant' or 'quant developer' its mostly just coding existing models. Quite a lot of the financial engineering grads won't even amount to that but will get some non-quant middle office role.
>>
>>1128722
but he wants a career in finance - which means, if he does get some form of quant role after his financial engineering masters he'll have a high chance of having to deal with a bunch of legacy spread sheets complete with various dll's written in.... C++

for a sell side quant role C++ is pretty much required at most places
>>
>>1129506
>Most of the models have already been created
>its mostly just coding existing models
Hey man, you talk like you know your shit. Can you please tell me what kind of models are used?
Is it simply linear models with inputs like previous prices and volume and bruteforcing parameters to fit the model to the old data then backtesting on a diferent set?
It is the first thing that comes to mind. I would really appreciate if you could point me to some resources to learn what is being used, I'm having a hard time finding anything, I am looking forward to testing some linear models on matlab the coming weeks.

Also, I have skimmed through the quantitative finance masters looking for textbooks, publications or any kind of references to learn on my own, as I said with little success. Do you think it is possible to learn such things on my own?
>>
>>1128624
People who use C++ outside of physics simulators or other things that are doing extremely CPU heavy tasks or games are pretty retarded. C# and Java is the best for normal desktop software and/or servers, Python is best for somewhat small scripts or servers. If you're going to do multiplat mobile software, learn JavaScript or C# as they are the language of the frameworks/applications that help you program to all devices at once (Phonegap, Xamarin, Apache Cordova). If you want to maintain Linux servers, learn C. If you want to do embedded software, learn C and/or Assembly.

To my understanding anybody who is related to finances should know how to use Excel and how to make scripts in it.
>>
im not that familiar with programming, but i know the programmers at my firm use C++, C#, python and R, and probably other stuff too that im not familiar with. my impression is that for new hires its more about 'how good of a programmer are you' rather than 'how many programming languages do you know?'
>>
bumping for more thoughts
>>
>>1128676
>C++ is for desktop applications, you wouldn't write something high-level in it.

Most quants use C++ desu
>>
>>1128733
>STEMlord

literally kill yourself
>>
>>1130436
C++ is extremely fast and near to the HAL. python, java etc require an interpreter and are slow.
If you learn C++ you will understand the basics of an OO language and will have a backup if your finance career fails like so many. it is not extremely common in generall engineering, but you will certainly have a better shot than any java coder etc. ah, there are loads of libs as well for C++
>>
D.

You cant prove sociomatic wrong. D makes your productivity go off the roof while giving you the same performance as C++.
>>
>>1128624
Excel and VBA
>>
Excel is prehistoric shit. Learn R instead.

If you want to become a die hard quant developer, learn C++. If you just want a basic understanding of programming and want to create small programs to test your algos or something, learn Python.
>>
>>1128624
Don't let people tell you it depends here.

It depends alright, if you don't want to make over six-figures then learn python instead of C++.

C++ shits on Python on efficiency and speed. I'm glad you're speaking about coding languages in regards to finance.

The developers have to answer to everyone else, but it'll soon be the developers who are going to be the big dick boyz.

"Don't give me any lip, because I'll bankrupt your fucking firm."
>>
>>1128676
>you wouldn't write something high-level in it.

Why would he need to write something high-level in the quant field? He should want something as close to the metal as possible without being slowed down by the syntax, which C++ gives him.
>>
Whats the verdict ? I should learn C++ to go with my finance degree ?
>>
>>1132315
Don't just learn the language. Learn the fundamentals that make up the language.
>>
>>1132282
yes, anon, learn the letter r. it's before s, but after p.
>>
>>1132315
still no verdict
>>
Programmer here, don't waste time writing things in C++ if you don't have to. And by "have to", I mean that you either need to interface with an API or you really, REALLY need the performance. It will take years to learn to write C++ well enough to write things that you can actually expect to work reliably. With Python, you can pretty much through whatever shit you want at the wall and as long as it is indented properly, it will work fine.

That said, once you've learned one you've learned the other. It's just a different syntax 90% of programming is approaching problems. C++ and Python are basically the same language compared to something like Haskell or Prolog.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.