[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Excel Proficiency
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5
File: unnamed.png (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
8 KB, 300x300
How important would you say is excel in /biz/ness jobs?
Are you good with it? Pivot tables, formulas, macros, etc
Where did you learn to be an "advanced" user?
>>
Simply by playing around with it and looking up online about stuff you don't get.
Its really not hard to use.
>>
>>1124168
Literally horrible. Stop shilling.
>>
Kind of related but is Libreoffice usable to replace Excel?

I'm a linuxfag but I've heard some important features are different between the two.
>>
>>1124193
It's supposed to have all the main features. You should be good unless you go fucking crazy.
>>
>>1124205
Really tho?

I've heard most features are the same but just done differently(different layout but same result) but then also heard that excel macros aren't compatible and a bunch of other more specific stuff.

Will I get cucked eventually? I really like Linux ;-;
>>
>>1124223
Pls reply
>>
>>1124129
learn some VBA.

But even better would be learning python for data manipulation.
>>
>>1124129
As long as you understand math and stats, and spend a basic amount of time learning the functions of excel you can do virtually anything you could need to do
And you can just google whatever you need to learn
>>
Excel with VBA is based as fuck. I know a guy that earns 30% more than his colleagues because of it. At the same time he cut his work time with some automated shit nobody knows about, reports that needed a whole day he gets done in minutes. He is learning Python right know and adviced me to do it too. So this what this >>1124486 guy said. 100%.
>>
>>1124496
This.

I'm an mech engineer working for a company of about 250 people in the sector where I am. I made a macro for payroll and spend about an hour a week to get my 250 guys paid.

There is another facility in the city over of about the same size. There is a woman there whose full time job is to do the payroll of 250 people. I don't share the program because I want her to keep her job.

VBA isn't difficult for anyone that can knows how to program.I picked up python in my spare time and then figured out VBA in a few hours. Once you learn the basics, the rest is synthax and follows. But learn python first.
>>
>>1124168
Literal shit
>>
>>1124129
The world would be a better place if more people knew how to use excel (and other microsoft office programs) at an advanced level.

You don't know the pains of excel until you have come across excel documents which have been made and maintained by numerous untrained and unskilled people over several years. The mess and inefficiency of what is done in the world is unbelievable.

I don't know if importance is the right question, but it is possible to automate and streamline significant amounts of work if you know advanced features of excel.

That said, if you have the capability, it is much nicer to be able to work with Python or R or something. Excel has such baggage and constraints.
>>
>>1124486
how? good at excel already
>>
File: Ethan.jpg (812 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ethan.jpg
812 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw very well versed in excel and python/MATLAB from studying physics because we use it all the time in all of our math/physics courses
>we are also required to know C++
>tfw unlike you comp sci fags I can actually into math
>tfw unlike you econ/finance fags I can actually into math above high-school level
>tfw all of this is only secondary to my advanced understanding of the fundamentals of all science and technology and advanced lab training
>Oh and just for fun I took a quantitative finance elective course on top of my regular coursework and I was literally in tears after seeing how mathematically illiterate econ fags are, easiest A I ever got

so tell me why the FUCK you're not studying physics yet you god damn fucking plebs???
>>
>>1124725
Congratulation faggot. Always a pleasure to have you genius and successful people on /biz/.
>>
>>1124744
I doubt it, us physicists are very rarely pleasant people.
>>
>2015
>not being a Vlookup Crook

Excel is a buggy, manual piece of shit, but it's pretty essential to be good at it in a lot job analytical roles. When it comes down to it, Excel is largely muscle memory, you learn it by doing, and when you're comfortable, you don't even think about it.

Also, this guy >>1124486 knows whats up. More python libraries for excel than you can shake a stick at. Pandas is mainly used for CSVs, but you can automate a ton of excel tasks through it too, it's great
>>
>>1124725
It's late Steve, go to bed
>>
>>1124129
Hedge fund accountant here. Learn your hit keys. Learn all you can about excel including VBA and macros and shit. And never, ever, ever tell anyone you are an excel expert or have advanced knowledge.
>>
>>1125046
*hot keys
>>
>>1125046

Why?
>>
An absolute prerequisite for any finance or ops job.
>>
>>1125084
>An absolute prerequisite for any finance or ops job.

Is libreoffice an acceptable replacement?
>>
>>1125077
Because no matter how advanced your excel skills are, there is always something you wont know. Never claim to be an expert, so you dont look like a dong when you cant do something.
>>
>>1125119
>Never claim to be an expert, so you dont look like a dong when you cant do something.

That goes for anything though.

You look dumb when you can't do something after claiming and giving the impression you're an expert at anything.
>>
>>1125123
I work with a lot of dongs. Most of them are useless shits.
>>
>>1124725
>A
>not A+
>still thinks he's smart

lol
>>
>>1124704
Just buy a few books.

If you really have no idea about programming and starting with 0, as I did a few years ago:
start with the Python course on CodeAcademy and LearnPythonTheHardway Videos/Book.
After that you know the basics and should buy "Python for Data Science" by Wes McKinley.
Thats the guy who actually developed the Pandas library(data analysis for python).

And about VBA: I honestly really dont like VBA and dont know too much about it. But just watch a few youtube tutorials to learn the basics.
>>
I'm a cubicle accountant and my whole job is manipulating data on Excel sheets.

The Excel part isn't hard. Anything I don't know how to do on Excel I can just Google. The only part that's hard is the mental stress of formating the workbooks how the executives want them to look. I forget to double underline one total or something and I'll look like an idiot.
>>
Will there be any appreciable difference between pic. rel and the 2016 version released on Thursday?

One difference is the 2016 version is 300 pages shorter....

Which to cop? I mainly use 2013 anyway because that's what my work is using, but is planning on upgrading soon.
>>
Guys no need to buy books. Every time I had a problem with Excel I just googled it.

Start a project, google your problem, try and error. Simple as that.
>>
>>1125471
Codeacademy python course isn't great tbqh. If you're going to go for an online course, use Treehouse- it's paid, but it's so so much better.

LPTHW is great though (and free online)
>>
>>1125535
Do you put VBA on your cv even though it basically means googling the answer?
>>
>>1126045
Of course you would. I put SQL on my resume even though I google most the stuff I do.
>>
>>1126045
yes do, but be honest about it if they ask.
There is a fine line between showing yourself in a good light an boasting about shit you cant deliver.
Worst thing that could happen is if they hire you for you VBA skills and realize after 2 days you are useless.

Therefore I put SQL,VBA,SAS,R and shit like that in a lower category as Python or SPSS.
>>
Is Libreoffice an acceptable alternative to excel?
>>
>>1126263
no.

You should be proficient in what the business world uses. Everything else should be additional to that but not a substitute.
>>
>>1126267
But I don't use Windows...

Would it be possible to use libreoffice on my own time and MS office/excel when working is my question.

Or would they be too different or lacking features
>>
>>1126263
Like, for personal use it'll do the job, but it's kind of shitty.

If you were using it to track ethercuck data or whatever on your own, it'd do.

But if you're trying to work in finance or something, they're going to either be using Windows or OSX as standard, meaning excel (god help you if it's the shitty, buggy Mac version), so you'll need to know that shit.

My personal laptop has linux, so I know how you feel, but my work one is a MBP, so I use excel for work.

If you're REALLY stuck then do it through Pandas in command line.
>>
>>1126273
Oh, also, if you're trying to do excel shit for work on your home laptop, you can just use Google Sheets, it's slow as fuck, but provided what you're doing isn't that complicated, you can manage.

It can actually be less of a pain to use than OSX Excel anyway
>>
>>1126272
I dont know much about Libreoffice.
And it obviously depends on where you want to work.

But generally speaking, if they want an excel file it needs to be 100% compatible with Microsoft Excel.
Not the same thing, but know a case where someone fucked up a power point presentation because he originally build it with google or some other tool and it looked crooked when opened with Microsoft PowerPoint.
>>
>>1126279
Why is it more shitty?

I searched comparison of excel to libreoffice and libreoffice appears to be FAR better.

Only downside is it's missing some proprietary features...

>>1126284
True but can I learn libre office on my own and use it but then when needed transfer the skills to excel?
>>
>>1126292
Honestly haven't used LO all that much, so I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I remember it missing a few features that were really useful in excel, memory is failing me here. It also looks like shit, but that's not a reason not to use it. Afaik there's also some issues with format, i.e. it doesn't sync up 100% with excel formats (read: industry standards)

I have friends who hate it with a passion, and I remember disliking it when I used it, but I can't remember exactly why.

I guess try it, if you're used to excel, you'll see the differences quickly
>>
>>1126304
As far as i know it can do nearly everything excdl can, but just it's done differently and the layout is different so maybe that's why you thought it sucked since you didn't figure it out yet.

>it looks like shit
It looks identical to excel.

>Missing features
Seems like those are just some oddly specific ones that people very rarely if ever use.

I'll do some more reading on differences I guess. But if anything I'll use it when possible and M$ office when required.

Fuck Microsoft and fuck windows
>>
>>1126292
>True but can I learn libre office on my own and use it but then when needed transfer the skills to excel?

Nobody on this board can answer this.
Learning some new useful skill is always a good thing.

But speaking from experience: you need to know the normal excel.
99% of the time that wont be a problem either way, worst case you google a solution in less than 5 minutes.

But you know... it depends on what you do, where you work, what your employer expects from you.
Therefore I can not give you a definite answer
>>
>>1124129
Very useful. Having knowledge of VBA will make your life easier
>>
How important is it to stay up to date on office products?

Would learning 2013 right now be fine or should i always be learning and using the most up to date software (for excel mainly)
>>
>>1126304
>i.e. it doesn't sync up 100% with excel formats (read: industry standards)

This.

LO is not bad for people who need to a spreadsheet and word processor a few times a year for basic things.

Tried using LO on my home PC for a few years and moving files to a school/work PC with office. Little things always got messed up going between LO and Office. Found an old copy of office 2003 I now run on my home PC.
>>
>>1124725
Physics/chemistry master race reporting to laugh at your sub-pleb marketability

My job will be getting my dick sucked by future employers, I guarantee it
>>
>>1124486
>>1124496
Yes and yes. Python is incredibly useful for days processing.
>>
>>1124223
You will be cucked if you expect it to have 80% or more of the functionality of Excel. If you're OK with it being significantly deficient then it's fine. Honestly it can do a lot of the same things but for certain functions it will take a lot more.
>>
>>1127722
I want some specific examples of how it's different though.
>>
>>1124496
so dishonesty over hard work pays out once again.
he's not paid for doing the work smarter than others, he's paid for doing the work smart and keeping secret how he does it.
nice
>>
>>1127759
Welcome to life, senpai.

You think everyone plays fair? This ain't your college business ethics class.
>>
>>1124725
>Thinks his numerical ability is somewhat important
>Will be stuck in either low level engineering or quantitative analysis in a room without a/c with other 20 neckbeards that are only seem as the slaves of the firm and will never take on any slight responsibility

laughing@urlyffam
>>
>>1124129
You don't do job in business. You run a business of your own.
>>
>>1127759
How is it dishonest? Knowledge is an asset that must be guarded and cultivated in today's modern economy. Would you share your knowledge with a replacement that would do your work for you for less pay? Would any business freely share proprietary knowledge that is essential to maintaining their competitiveness? Those people you're referring to took the initiative to invest in their personal development and now they're reaping the benefits. They are under no obligation whatsoever to share their knowledge with others at their own personal expense. I'm sorry but your post just reeks of entitlement.
>>
Watch Martin Shkreli's finance lessons. That's what being good at Excel looks like.
>>
>>1124193
Learn R. Use R. Stop being a spreadsheet cuck.
>>
>>1124129
Being proficient in Excel is retarded. MATLAB and R are better for anything that Excel can provide.
>>
>>1125481
I have to do executive reporting for my department and I can attest to this. It's actually pretty fucking bullshit. They'll act like such dicks about it, and half the time they ask me to present data that makes no sense to have, but they always want more shit on their stupid PowerPoint decks to make it look like they did something.
>>
>>1125481
This is why i'm glad my professor for lots of my financial classes would always be a hardass about format on financial statements. I had to get really good at formatting and it pays off.
>>
>>1127759
that's like saying a guy is dishonest for protecting his intellectual rights...
>>
So what Excel-using jobs can I get that can be automated if I'm savvy enough? I want an easy life.
>>
>>1125123
This, so much this. I'm a hiring manager for one of the big MSO's in the US and basic Excel proficiency is a *must* for us, but not much beyond the basics. If you know VBA, can build macros, can query Access or SQL DB's, that's great, but the most we require is you being able to produce a Pivot table.

When someone claims "expert" knowledge in Excel, I always add an extra question to the interview. "Describe the purpose behind the flux-capacitor function, and how do you access that feature?"

You have no idea how many times I've been asked "What version of Excel is that in?" or told "Oh, I heard about that but have never used it so I don't know." Only once has anyone said "Isn't that the thing from Back to the Future" and only one other time did someone joke back to me (dude said "Well, first you've got to add some uranium to your PC, then get it up to 88 miles an hour, and at that point your spreadsheet will populate all your data back to 1955.)
>>
>>1128464

Bookkeeping/controlling.
>>
>>1128831
Did you hire him?
>>
>>1129802
Hell yes. He knew his shit and was confident enough to make jokes to a manager he never met. He made manager in a different department after working for me as a team sup for 3 years.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.