[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In august I was gonna start trade school to be a welder or an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: atttt.png (42 KB, 985x360) Image search: [Google]
atttt.png
42 KB, 985x360
In august I was gonna start trade school to be a welder or an electritian, but I just got this opportunity from AT&T. I am not sure if I should give it a go or not. I do really want to become a welder or electrician, but this might be a good opportunity in itself. Its a full time position and I already got the email for an interview. What do you guys think?
>>
File: at&t.png (100 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
at&t.png
100 KB, 800x800
>>1124116
>>
Seems strange.

Why are they giving EVERYONE an interview?
>>
Join The/Biz/ness, it is a Business Forum Community regarding Investments, Passive Income, The Stock Market, Forex Trading, and more.
thebizness(dot)org
>>
>>1124126
Its only people that applied he sent that to, or maybe qualified people.
>>
>>1124116
bump
>>
>>1124116
Become a welder. Go to school and then get what tickets you need then laugh all the way to the bank. I don't know about the states but welders in Alberta canada make $36 an hour minimum. If you invest into a welding truck you are making $90an hour minimum in town and 120 if you have to drive up north.
>>
>>1124211
I live in tennessee right now, so yeah I heard 15-20 dollars starting usually if I was to do electrician or hvac, not sure about welding though
>>
just trying to figure out what I should do
>>
at&t are a bunch of dicks.
they're not going to hire you, they'll just interview you, say you're not qualified or offer you pennies, then get an H1B to do the job at 3/5th of the average salary.
>>
>>1124224
consider the electrian, if everyone tomorrow decides fuck the grid were going to solar panels.

>They're going to need a certified electrician to install them $$$$.

You mentioned you've considered HVAC? If you're in the southern united states (Tennessee as per ur post) thats a excellent fucking trade, people will pay $$$$ to not die in heat.
>>
>>1124287
Yeah tennessee. Ill be going to tennessee technical school, itll be a 12 month program for welding and electrician. And 16 months for HVAC. Itll be worth it in the end, i wish I could get started right now
>>
I worked for AT&T way back in the 90s. Worse company I ever worked for. Was excited when I got the job, we were wiring up new buildings with copper and fiber. Knew after 3 weeks I wasn't going to stick around. Quit within 6 months after finding a job with a different company doing the same work.
>don't do it
>>
>>1124374
Appreciate the input, so it isnt worth the experience for a few months or so until i can start school?
>>
>>1124116
go to AT&T, if it doesn't work out you can always go to trade school later
>>
h
>>
Any opinions are welcome
>>
any this morning?
>>
>>1124613
>>1124899
>>1125038
>>1125206
>>1125899

Calm down.

Do what you want to do.
>>
>>1124116
i'd go with welder/electrician. it's a real skill
>>
>>1125907
Alright appreciate it
>>
>>1124116
Try and if you don't like it then go to trades
>>
>>1124135
your forum is dead.
>>
>>1124211
6th generation Albertan with whole bloodline in the North. I will say that people often extaggerate how good it is here. There is always "work" but the contracts and hours that you really want to make the massive money are currently not there. The big plants are not being built, layoffs, paycuts for non trade/ nonunion workers.
So yes, there is good money but just not for anybody at the time.
>>
>>1124224
HVAC in new buildings, hotels, universities is fairly computerized, and there is actually hundreds of different makes of rooftop units to the point where you could specialize and be a refrigeration mechanic, or plant worker. I'm in the field and it is far larger and more complicated than I thought.
>>
>>1127128
Hvac only gets paid if there is work, otherwise youll sit there on the clock not getting paid.
>>
OP, do NOT weld. You will go deaf. Welding is so loud most people are deaf by the time they hit 50, yeah you get money but it isnt worth not being able to hear anymore. Even with earplugs your hearing will slowly decline until it is no more. Do yourself a favor and do NOT weld or you will lose your hearing.
>>
>>1127151
I see, yeah I'm a building operator and I operate the heating setpoints and check all the HVAC, server room cooling and boiler systems on about 10 large buildings per day. A few hotels and conference centers at a university campus. Our HVAC guy is the lead hand and has a full time job but I think he is multi ticketed for hvac, power engineering and refrigeration.
>>
>>1127168
That sounds super complex
>>
>>1127184
Some days it is just doing rounds, so it's just going into each boiler room and taking readings, add salt bags and pool chemical if I see it is low. It's a large variety of kind of easy stuff. I change lightbulbs if I get bored. Try to hide and go on my phone until someone tries to get me to turn the heat up.
>>
>>1127194
you got a Power Engineering ticket?
>>
>>1127203
Yeah, there are like no jobs left it seems. We are a 5th class facility (lowest) and we have guys that were laid off from the oilsands trying to get in. Saturated hard. I'd say the refrigeration mechanics have a job that is nearly the same as mine though.
>>
>>1127204
Operations super shitty to find a job in. Just find what you can and hold onto it
>>
>>1127207
I'm finally making 22$ after 1 year, but I can work with it. It's a campus so there are restaurants and other cozy shit so not bad for the time being. Hopefully I'll just have enough experience someday to actually compete for the jobs out there in the field.
>>
>>1127212
Do you live in Alberta?
>>
>>1127226
Yes
>>
>>1127212
Vote demacrat and minimum wage will be raised
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.