[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>and then he said, diversify your portfolio! Does diversifying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: lal.jpg (72 KB, 468x347) Image search: [Google]
lal.jpg
72 KB, 468x347
>and then he said, diversify your portfolio!

Does diversifying my portfolio have to include bonds? Also how much cash should I keep? Right now I have like 2% cash and zero bonds.
>>
File: memed.jpg (75 KB, 864x443) Image search: [Google]
memed.jpg
75 KB, 864x443
I'm getting memed by the Canadian markets, and I'm wondering if I should have sat on more cash instead of buying more pipeline
>>
File: Qpls0.jpg (136 KB, 885x990) Image search: [Google]
Qpls0.jpg
136 KB, 885x990
>And then he said he didn't buy ethcuck!
>>
>>1123967
idk what ethcuck is?
>>
>>1123957
I think holding oil is a good idea
>>
>>1123967
Fucking stop with this "ethcuck" shit. It is called Ethereum and it is not just some pump and dump. Spamming "ethcuck" across this board is annoying.
>>
>>1123971
Gibson energy, the GEI, is a pipeline and refining company. It was unfairly hit by the plunge in oil. When I first bought it it was $28, then it went down to $12. I bought 200 more once it recovered to $14 and in the last 2 months i went from -55% to -25% so I didn't do too terribly there. -5% isn't terrible given how much energy I'm holding I guess
>>
>>1123973
>not buying ethcuck hand over fist

What a no coiner
>>
Diversification is something liberals try to force on white neighborhoods. You should have been all in on energy stocks for months now. Im hitting my breakeven prices already and I started buying at $45 crude.
>>
>>1123973
Confirmed for salty nocoiner.

So why haven't you bought any? There's still time to get on board.
>>
>Does diversifying my portfolio have to include bonds?

Bonds not considered risk-free? No.
Bonds considered to be risk-free? No, and right now I wouldn't recommend it. Those would be short-term and thus are subject to very low rates.

>Also how much cash should I keep? Right now I have like 2% cash and zero bonds.

Whatever you're comfortable with. Holding cash generally is a silly idea though.
>>
>>1123978
What the hell are you talking about? I have lots of ETHER. Stop calling it ethcuck.
>>
>>1123979
>Muuuuh evul liberals!

>>>/pol/
>>
>>1123974
I want to invest in more oil. I made the mistake(maybe) of buying uwti with the intent to hold it until oil goes up. I later learned that its loses value the longer you hold it, so it is a bad long term stock. Still holding in the hopes that oil goes up sooner than expected.
>>
>>1123984
>Holding cash is a silly idea
Why? Its always good to have dry powder to fire when opportunities present themselves. I cant count the number of times I saw an opportunity but couldnt pull the trigger thanks to T+3. Im working on getting to 10% cash at all times
>>
>>1123991
we need Iran and Saudi to go to war. We should have let Iran get nukes desu
>>
>>1123957
>holding Canada
>mfw I'm up 4% this year on a mix of US stocks, international stocks, and bonds.
>>
File: tdindex.png (44 KB, 961x463) Image search: [Google]
tdindex.png
44 KB, 961x463
I put one thousand a few days ago into 4 different index funds. I'm Canadian by the way. Made 18 dollars so far. It's my TFSA, I can put up to 36.5k so focusing on slowly maxing it out.
>>
>>1123996
TRP will recocver! Energy east ftw!
>>
>>1124004
arent index funds a meme?
>>
Bonds are generally a part of a diversified portfolio.

They are low risk investment vehicles. The risk with them is that you might end up losing money due to opportunity cost in a bull market.
>>
File: 1456806802844.jpg (124 KB, 600x801) Image search: [Google]
1456806802844.jpg
124 KB, 600x801
>>1124105

I read a few books on the matter, I picked low MER indexes, the lowest in Canada. If I had these four funds 10 years ago I would have avged 8.6% returns annualized, thats pretty good considering all this money is going into a tax free savings account, indexes are not a meme, especially if you already have money and want to just grow it at a healthy rate.
>>
Yeah you want bonds as part of your portfolio. They're pretty boring and just sit there and knock out dividends to you. They tend to work inversely to other things and even themselves as in as their price goes down the yield goes up and as the price goes up the yield goes down. So they tend to have a stabilizing effect on the rest of your portfolio. They just can help to smooth out some of the volatility in your overall portfolio.

You want a decent mix of them too. Some government bonds, investment grade bonds and high yield bonds. But overall not a large percentage of your overall portfolio. It depends on your tolerance for risk.
>>
>>1124257
Excellent answer. Accurate and thorough.
>>
>>1124257

I don't mean dividends. I mean interest or whatever. Technically I think it's a coupon.
>>
>>1123951
>putting your money in anything besides ether

lol stupid kuk
>>
>>1124300
This. Dont be a kuk, buy ethercuck.
>>
>>1124280
>I don't mean dividends. I mean interest or whatever. Technically I think it's a coupon.
The distinction is somewhat irrelevant, since interest and dividends are taxed the same. The correct name also depends on whether you're holding individual bonds or a bond fund.
>>
>>1124345

Yeah indeed. It just sounded a bit wrong.
>>
>>1124345
>since interest and dividends are taxed the same
In Canada we have "tax free savings accounts" which you're permitted to contribute max $5,500 a year, however all capital gains and dividends or interest aren't taxed
Once money is withdrawn you can't contribute over your $5500 a year back into it

This
>>1123957
Is my tfsa so all gains are tax free
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.