[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Student Loans General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: iu[1].jpg (93 KB, 655x410) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
93 KB, 655x410
Currently hyped to finally finish school, even if I no longer have my full ride scholarship and will need to take out $30,000 in loans to finish if Out-of-state and too desperate to move out to go in-state.

In any case, I'm thinking about taking out $45,000 and putting $10,000 into stocks or ethereum/mining.
>>
Wow. I got five years for $27k.
>>
>>1115066
Yeah, I had four years for around $16k, but that was room and board.

Due to some familial issues, I've lost all my financial aid, so now it'll be $30k for two years.
>>
I never had any aid.

You're setting yourself up for some issues when you graduate if you think staying put at an out of state college is a good idea.

You ought to try listening to Dave Ramsey on YouTube. Look at the student loan debt videos.
>>
>>1115070
I'm hoping I can get some financial aid reinstated.
I can't stay here (home) any longer. I spent 18 months here not managing to get shit done and finding out more and more shit is messed up that I'm not really sure how to fix. I'm more or less using Out-of-state as a very expensive means to bail.
>>
>>1115071

I get where you're coming from. I stayed in home, endured the verbal abuse, didn't drink, didn't date, got no money from family the whole way.

Why not bail and stay in state? Do you have a job?
>>
>>1115078
I'm applying now.

I had one, but put in my two weeks when I was supposed to be moving in for this semester at university. I didn't find out until the weekend prior that my guidance counselor strongly implored I not and I couldn't manage the loans properly (I had a very limited window after paying off the debt my parents accrued to the university in my name, a long story that's been posted here before).

I returned, but they'd cleaned house on a lot of staff and were hard pressed for finding hours for me. I'm currently looking into jobs as a waiter (I worked in a kitchen), since the local pizza joint that I would otherwise work delivery for is managed by a 20 year old whose mother (District Manager) hired her as the GM so Dominos pays for her college.

It's very cliquish there, and I didn't really know her in high school, so she didn't want to hire me lol.
>>
Maybe this is a bit unrelated, and I am not OP, but I just turned 25 and I have some loans that are now in my name. How do I figure out what loans I have, how much I still have yet to pay, and where this info is listed?

thx
>>
>>1115083

Sounds like your parents are financial screw ups. And you don't have a job. And you want to borrow 30K for a year despite the fact you can't manage loans well?

If I'm you there no way in hell I borrow 30k. My first stop is the close to home in state university admissions dept where I discuss transferring. I follow that with a visit to university career servicesto find a job.
>>
>>1115085

One method is to get your free experian credit report.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

Tells you exactly what you owe.
>>
>>1115149
I didn't know the loan existed until I checked my credit on a whim; my parents had withheld my mail regarding the loan (which they took out) for nearly two years.

In any case, I'm at least 50% positive I'll actually kill myself if I stay here. I might look for something across the state but still in it. I liked the instructors/possible networking at my old uni, though, and I can't get shit for financial aid transferring, either. At best, it'll be full cost but in-state.
>>
File: 1436494266875.jpg (85 KB, 400x574) Image search: [Google]
1436494266875.jpg
85 KB, 400x574
College isn't worth it anymore. The price is way too inflated thanks to gov't subsidizing it, and the value of a degree is only becoming more and more worthless over time. Putting on a resume that you run a flipping business on ebay is just as impressive, desu.

Fun fact: Gov't pushes student loans so hard not because it improves the prospects of its citizenry, but because $1.2trillion of irrevocable, interest-bearing debt is an excellent asset to own for an organization who's chief business is being in/owning debt. Gov't wants their citizens to be in debt to them, essentially becoming serfs who are tied to the land until they pay off the debt + interest. It's just a scheme to help the insolvent agency retain credibility in the macro world.

You're getting fleeced. If you were worth anything you'd start your own business, not pay other people to tell you what to do with your life.
>>
>>1115374
Perhaps so.
>>
>>1115078
>>1115083

You faggots both sound retarded and entitled. Half of what you wrote is incomprehensible. You should consider suicide but you would probably fail at that too.
>>
>>1115522
How do I sound entitled?

>I'm looking to finish school.
>By taking out a loan.
>And paying for it.

What part of that sounds like entitlement?
>>
>>1115374
Is this only a problem with US? Here in Canada, it's also being pushed hard that kids go into post-secondary for the sake of it.

The difference is that no one's in crippling debt since it's only around $24K in tuition, and there's so many grants that it really drops down to around $18K unless you're in a high-income family already.
>>
>>1115597
It varies. I just wound up in a pickle because discovering a hidden debt my parents placed in my name but never informed me of required me to break the terms of my scholarship to resolve.
>>
Does anyone have any methods to deal with student loans? I don't care if illegal or immoral.

Only thing I know is you can charge on the credit card, then not pay the credit card. Debt discharged after like 7yrs.
>>
>>1115611
That doesn't work. Your shit gets picked through with a fine toothed comb when you file for bankruptcy.
>>
>>1115614
>file for bankruptcy
Who said I would file for bankruptcy? Just not pay the credit card.
>>
>>1115607

Wow, that's rotten. I would disown my parents if they pulled a stunt like that.

I never asked what you were studying?
>>
>>1115671
Computer Engineering with a minor in music theory and composition.
>>
>>1115611

Yeah, pay them off.

If they are federal loans though you can apply for hardships under certain circumstances. Check out the income based repayment plan or REPAYE.

Hope you don't have private loans.
>>
>>1115672

Nice, I had to choose econ but got three minors in biz, media production and video arts. All pretty worthless in the marketplace.
>>
>>1115672

Original thought stands though you're too broke to be out of state if you don't have the cash.

What is your local college?
>>
>>1115682
University of Memphis.

Original college of attendance was Mississippi State (Not Ole Miss)

Out of state tuition is waived if I major in something not covered by a state school in my home state (a bunch of Southern states grouped together to save the cost of offering duplicates of less common majors, such as petroleum engineering). While MSU has a better computer engineering program and networking opportunities, my local college still provides a CE degree.
>>
>>1115597
I'm not sure, the problem is is that student loans are impossible to discharge. You either pay it off, or die still owing, no bankruptcy or anything like that. As far as debt being an asset on a creditor's balance sheet, it's the most prime debt one could own.

That's why I'm not that worried about the student debt bubble, the mortgage-backed security fiasco was a problem because people could just walk away from their debts, that's not really the case here. The deliquency rate (according to Fed data which is probably tailored to be lower than reality) is around ~10%. These people won't be able to leave the country, and whenever they generate income their wages are automatically garnished, so the gov't WILL be seeing a return on their income. At least, that's the way it looks from the outside, which is all that matters when credibility is the name of the game.

I know in Europe the debt is discharged after a certain amount of years, or if you're never able to gain employment in the field you graduated in. Dunno what Canada's situation is. But yeah, just about every government on the planet is insolvent and tactics such as this are all they can do to keep their jobs.

Currently student loans make up about 35% of the US Gov'ts assets. It's a pretty fucked up mess desu senpai. We've regressed from democracy back to medieval fiefdom. At least we have medicine and electricity this time around, much cozier.
>>
File: 1363659545458.jpg (39 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1363659545458.jpg
39 KB, 447x444
Average student from my university graduated with about 75-100k in debt
>>
>>1115722
It's much more slack in Canada
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-18-billion-in-federal-spending-includes-300-million-to-write-off-bad-student-loans/article23074161/

Heck, I think my professor was even saying how people in Quebec (back then) just didn't pay off their student loans to this day because there wasn't actually anything binding them or whatever.

Of course paying it off is still going to be a pain. I graduated last year and all I have is some data entry job that gives me $25K gross per year (US$18K). A degree's not worth much here either.

People who did co-op or anything fancy like that will have those $50K+ starting salaries though. I only got an interview in those types of places once in 4 months then I just had to settle for temp jobs and eventually what I have now since it wasn't working out with my experience.
>>
>>1115722
Yeah, student loans are taken pretty damn seriously.
>>
>>1115841
Oh, wow. Yeah, the US takes them pretty damn seriously, which is odd given the amount of debt it goes into on itself in other areas like social security.
>>
>>1115374
The more I think about it, the more you likely do have a point. I'm just not sure I can bet on myself well enough to make it, so to speak.

But in that case, why best using actual money?

Hm.

Slightly related: Do you /biz/nessmen know where to get antidepressants without a prescription?
>>
>>1115690

Companies don't care where you went to college unless it's a Harvard or Yale. Memphis is Tennessee right? Why not check out UT?

the only compelling reason I can think of to consider staying at msu is if you've located a company that will hire you when you graduate with the degree.
>>
>>1115722

One key problem with the student loans is that they are delaying life events from happening. The money grads are giving to the government is money not going into home formation, mortgage, retirement fund or big ticket item like a car.

Student loans are a huge problem. Mark Cuban is absolutely right. What'll be interesting is what our generation has to say when our kids go to college. Are we going to be more price sensitive?
>>
File: Debt-and-GDP-1-15-2016.jpg (62 KB, 636x446) Image search: [Google]
Debt-and-GDP-1-15-2016.jpg
62 KB, 636x446
>>1116400
Indeed that is true. If I didn't know any better I'd think the ruling elite foresee the coming depression, overall debt has gotten so exorbitant that the notion it'll be repaid through honest means is impossible to entertain. The fact student loans are going to see lousy returns in a depression, and the fact the Fed is hiking rates even though the economy is still crippled tells me they're ready to throw this bitch overboard. The past seven years has been everyone with massive wealth moving it into more stable assets, once that grace period is over they'll go nuts on money-printing and inflate the dollar by %100 or so.

Honestly in the grand scheme of things Americans are pretty fuckin stupid. We've been the most pampered nationality and as such have become ignorant to the fundamentals that underlay economic well-being. America's time as world leader is coming to a close and Asia is going to take center stage, partly because their citizens understand the true nature of things like precious metals. Very few Americans have wealth that isn't tied up in the Fed's bubble-blowing act. We're going to get creamed, as we should the global economy has been out of balance for a long time.

Any fools that don't understand this deserve the pain they've signed up for imo.
>>
>>1115597

Engineering programs run 10-11k per year.
>>
>>1116395
I'll check out UT.

I would have already had a co-op for MSU lined up, but I couldn't really start setting them up until what would have been this semester.
>>
>>1116888
Since everything is accredited by ABET here in the US, where you get your degree literally does not matter so long as you get fairly good grades and join some design competitions.
>>
>>1116992
Gotcha. I'm considering transferring to UT Knox, then. Still get away from home but manage to remain in state.
>>
>be me
>go to CC to get my core classes done
>paid in full with help from my mom and landing a cushy college-age gig
>dad's VA benefits kick in
>transfer to uni
>considered independent cuz I'm a father now
>get paid around 8.5k to go to school
>books paid for, too
>minority with a decent gpa in a demanded field

There are some absolute nightmare stories here, but I would have taken loans if I needed to. Ever since I was a kid my dad preached to me not to take a degree unless I was positive I could get a job afterwards. That's not as important for me now but I see student loans as an investment desu
>>
>>1117023
I do, too, but I guess I don't have the confidence in myself to really make it worth it.
>>
>>1117052
College isn't hard, man. It's basically a way for employer's to see that you can stay committed to a long term goal.

It's mostly just reading and doing homework. If you practice enough, you'll mindlessly ace tests. There are studies on this.

You might have to spend more than the average student because of your situation, but if you play your cards right you can easily come out on top.
>>
>>1117015

That's a great call. I went to Ohio State Marion my first three years, saving $15k in doing so.
>>
>>1117052

In college people don't hold your hand anymore. You really just have to take the initiative, go to the classes (amazing how many kids didn't go) and be on the lookout for internships.

You're already ahead of the game asking for advice.
>>
>>1115062
find a company to get your foot in the door with and build your education around your career, not your career around your education.

I made some interesting decisions in order to pay for my college because I knew there was no way myself or my family would be able to afford it.

I joined the Army for the benefits, served two enlistments. After getting out, I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to do. I started going to school and ended up changing my major three times. During that time I found a job with an awesome company at an entry level position.

I've been with the company for less than two years ( two years in August) and have been promoted 6 times. I now manage my own facility and gross $2mil in revenue. I will be completing my associates in June of this year.

That being said, this approach has given me the opportunity to plan my career, live reasonably well, and pace my education in line with my career goals.

Education right out the door is not everything. Staying in school gets you a a degree that might help you to get an entry level position... because at the end of the day, while you have a metaphorical tool box, you haven't had any tangible experience using those tools.
>>
Don't do it kid!!!! This market is about to bust! Look at junk bond yields (a leading indicator), they are blowing out... Equities are under performing and it's probably just the beginning.
>>
File: 3ff9c_mises-bitches.jpg (61 KB, 450x394) Image search: [Google]
3ff9c_mises-bitches.jpg
61 KB, 450x394
>>1116255
>not sure I can bet on myself well enough to make it

nigger you don't even have to do it well to succeed. Just get whatever job you can, there are plenty around, either flipping burgs, delivering pizza or being a flagger for the DOT. Just earn some fucking money, and in your spare time cultivate yourself in whatever you actually want to do, rather than paying other people to do what should be your own responsibility in the first place. Most my friends who graduated from college are working minimum wage anyway, the ones who aren't are naturally charismatic fuckers who got lucky with networking. Really, most people wind up working for peanuts regardless of what boxes they've checked.

As for antidepessants see if you can get your hands on some ketamine, that stuff works wonders. Modafinil might be useful too, it's a stimulant. Needs a prescription though.
>>
>>1117091
>ketamine

Dude that's a dissociative, not an antidepressant. Plus do they even make that stuff for human consumption?
>>
>>1117062
>internships
they're good (and should be paid) but anon should also look for co-op since it's usually longer than a few months so the employers will actually bother to train you for interesting stuff.

some dude I know went into med radiation, got a co-op, and landed some ~$40-$50 / hour job shortly after graduation. Meanwhile, my mom knows some med radiation (no co-op) graduate that's stuck in her data entry workplace. I am also stuck in some general office job since I didn't do co-op and only had one summer internship.
>>
>>1115062
>ethereum
Whats up with your generation being so gullible? I dont remember having that level of stupidity at your age.
>>
Thanks for all the advice, you guys.

Also, yeah, I don't think ketamine is an antidepressant?
>>
>>1117296
Desperation.
>>
If I do resume college, should I change from Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineering?

I feel as if studying at least one programming language in my spare time and taking some of the software courses for electives would work just as well if I get an EE degree.
>>
File: Listen Up Ping.gif (223 KB, 490x288) Image search: [Google]
Listen Up Ping.gif
223 KB, 490x288
>>1115062
out of state wtf are you doing?

You start a company or llc in the state your school is in and hire yourself. Now you're an in state resident who moved for work.

get an in state license and you're golden you moron. read the goddamn bylaws of your school and find out what else you need.

Even in fucking california its only like 1200$ to start the company. Way cheaper than out of state tuition.
>>
>>1118029
I already looked into that; I can't qualify for resident tuition until I'm 24 at my uni of attendance, even if I permanently moved to the state.
>>
>>1118052
which university?
>>
File: victory.png (124 KB, 365x404) Image search: [Google]
victory.png
124 KB, 365x404
I got 2 years for 6k

That was in 1999 though.
>>
>>1118063
Mississippi State University.

Currently filling out the application for UT Knox; waiting to get my ACT scores sent out to them. They take superscoring, which might change my 33 to a 34.
>>
>>1118187
>>1118187
http://www.ihl.state.ms.us/board/downloads/policiesandbylaws.pdf

section B.
RESIDENCE OF AN ADULT
The residence of an adult is that place where he/she is domiciled, that is, the place where he/she actually physically resides with the intention of remaining there indefinitely or of returning there permanently when tem‐porarily absent.
Miss.Code Ann., §37 ‐ 103 ‐ 13, as amended. (BT Minutes, 9/90; 1/98; 2/2009; 3/2010)

E.
RESIDENCY PETITIONS
Nonresidents may petition the institutions for a change of residency classification.
A person who enters the state of Mississippi from another state and enters a system institution is considered a nonresident, unless the person meets the residency requirements set out in subsections A or
>B
above.

Provided,however, that any person who has attained 21 years of age and has thereafter actually established residency as defined within subsection A above and resided within the of Mississippi for 12 consecutive months after attaining 21 years of age upon sworn affidavit and other representation, may petition the particular institution for a change in residency classification for the purposes of fees and tuition assessment.

The institution may make reasonable inquiry intothe validityof the petitioner's claim. Such petition for change of residency must be made on or before the last day a student may register at the particular institution without penalty. (BT Minutes, 9/90; 1/98; 2/2009; 3/2010; 1/2016)

How old were you when you applied?

It might be that you have to Hire your Father instead.
>>
>>1118496
I was 17 when I first started attending. 18 when I last attended.
>>
>>1118496
>>1118578
I'm 20 now (My birthday is in February and I attended the fall semester prior to my 19th).

It would still require me to wait two years to be a resident under section E.
>>
I might still be eligible for a transfer scholarship at UT Knox, but I'm still waiting on a response from ACT.
>>
Sent of ACT scores to UT Knox, so we'll see how it goes.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.