[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Canadian Bcom school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: Toronto-view-from-cn-tower.jpg (626 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Toronto-view-from-cn-tower.jpg
626 KB, 900x600
What's /biz/'s opinion on the best undergraduate business program in Canada?

What are your top choices for a possible finance/consulting/management career?

Opinions on UBC vs Ivey vs Queens vs UofT vs Mcgill?
>>
As long as money is any factor, you're best off going and doing a 4 year accounting program at a college. Then get your CPA designation, and switch over after a few years.

Unless an employer went to that school, they wont care much about which one you did for undergrad. Real world results matter a lot more. Very few BBA graduates get a firm grasp on applied finance.
>>
>>1114837
This is decent advice

But really though you'd be better off dropping out and getting into a trade

You'll make way more money and best of all you won't have any debt!!

Women love men who work with there hands.

Don't be a faggot. Get into a trade if you want to make real money.
>>
>>1114837
>>1114898
Thanks for the advice. College for sure teaches better applied skills. I'm afraid however that college isn't really an option right now since it's already almost March.

What would y'all recommend for universities?
>>
>>1115063
Naw dawg u gotta get an apprenticeship

Uni is for kucks

You gotta learn on the job thats how you get REAL SKILLS!!
>>
>>1115063
Besides why would you wanna work with a bunch of backstabbing banksters anyway

The trades are filled with true honest decent men
>>
>>1115086
cause i aint got no other viable/realistic option. Don't have the required courses for engineering, don't want a useless art degree.
>>
File: Blog-post-3-why-IB.jpg (88 KB, 1299x827) Image search: [Google]
Blog-post-3-why-IB.jpg
88 KB, 1299x827
>>
John Molson School of Business in Montreal is one of the best.
With McGill as undergrad you won't get much more than the name. JMSB actually has the recognition as well as excellent learning opportunities.
I can't speak for other schools.
>>
Ivey is by far the best in Canada but desu they're all shit compared to schools like Harvard
>>
>>1115142
>>1115143

Thanks! How would you rank the top 5 bcom program?
>>
>>1114135

Went to a 2nd tier school but based on how I've seen some of my friends do...

1. Ivey
2. Queens
3. Schulich
4. McGill
5. UBC

Then again this is all very very very subjective. I think Ivey and Queens are the only two where you can pretty much state, "yeah, these two are the absolute best".

Also U of T is good, JSMB is good, Dal is good. Shit, I was about to finish this post and I totally forgot about Laurier and Waterloo - both very solid in their own right. Plus a ton I'm not mentioning / forgotten.

Honestly, now a days going to any of these schools guarantees you nothing. If there is anything I could stress it would be your coops. That's where Waterloo is amazing. It practically forces you to get internships and you have access to good job postings.
>>
Laurier BBA is a great choice.

Co-op program is invaluable.
>>
>>1115242

One more thing. I know people who have gone to like 3rd tier schools like Western BMOS, U of T Scarbs, etc. and have decent jobs lined up. PWC, Deloitte, etc.

The field is so level these days for corporate jobs in Ontario.

School really only matters for like IB and consulting. So if you are interested in any of those you pretty much have to go to Ivey, Queens, or Schulich. Not to say it's impossible to break in otherwise but you are making it like 100x harder on yourself.
>>
>>1114135

Fuck it - I'll go in on a third post because why not.

I'm 23 so I missed the boat on a lot of this stuff having recently graduated.

Young Canadian business students. Join student council or business council or whatever. Get internships at reputable companies (banks, insurance, finance, big 4, etc). Do whatever it takes - call all of your friends parents for leads. Cold call. Connections are 95% of the game - the other 5% is being qualified enough to capitalize on them. Having good companies on your resume is key when you graduate.

I help select kids for coops at my work and I can't stress how stiff the competition is now. Sometimes I'll vet a resume from Waterloo and a 21 year old kid will be more qualified than myself even after I've been working full time for almost two years. It's insane.

No one ever stressed how important co-op was when I was in school. Three things I preach to anyone who will listen is 1) internships 2) being involved with school councils or clubs 3) GPA.
>>
>>1115258
Damn. Thank you for the all the advice and insight :)
Internships and extracurriculars are for sure extremely important when it comes to commerce, they really emphasize it nowadays in school.
>>
File: Canada_flag.jpg (22 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
Canada_flag.jpg
22 KB, 425x283
>>1115258
How important do you think geographical location is for employment?
>>
>>1115524

I can't really answer this question confidently but I imagine that it's probably fairly important.

Also depends on what you want to get into. For example, Sun Life and PWC both have head offices in Waterloo. So if you live there those aren't bad places to work.

Otherwise, most of my colleagues commute into Toronto from just about everywhere (Pickering, Richmond Hill, Oakville, etc). I think most corporate jobs are in the city but that's not to say there isn't a lot of jobs outside of Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver.
>>
Go the cheap route, college for 2-3 years and then finish at a university.
>>
>>1115250
>U of T Scarborough
>3rd tier

I was thinking of applying there but I keep seeing this mentioned. What's the difference?
>>
Hi OP, I go to Queen's so I'm obliged to tell you that this is the best program.

In general, though, Ivey and Queen's are at the same level and it depends what kind of people you want to be around.

U of T and McGill are not relevant. UBC is ok if you're from the west coast and don't want to travel, they have a strong asset management subprogram but you have to be in the absolute top of the class.
>>
>>1115948
Lower entrance requirements. At higher levels the faculty might not be as good too.
>>
>>1115955
Lol how are the cultures different?
Also more importantly, why are McGill and Toronto unimportant? Is it cause they are underwhelming Bcom programs?

Would it be safe to say Ivey and Queens are hands down the best with all other being lower?
>>
OP here, so I've already applied to number of unis with little research and got in to a few (still waiting on more prestigious ones). Trying to decide which university should be my top choices for undergraduate in finance. What does /biz/ recommend?
>>
If you are into fenance, then your choices are basically UBC and U of Toronto. Mcgill and Alberta mite b gud, but prolly not.
>>
>>1116003

It would be absolutely correct to say that. They are unimportant since they have a lack of strong recruitment in bulge bracket banks or consulting firms in both Canada and the United States.

And yes, the culture is quite different, Ivey is significantly more immigranty/middle class whereas Queen's is a bit more wealthy/old money.
>>
>>1116087

Only undergrads would consider Ivey and Queen's to be relevant.
>>
>>1116103
This desu.

It's just fucking weird when there's a 30+ year old guy working a dead-end job but he keeps telling everyone "You know... I graduated UofT with a 3.95 gpa almost 10 years ago!" as if it means anything anymore.
>>
I'm fucking doomed going to Carleton, I think about it everyday, this university is terrible for business and Ottawa sucks in general, what a boring fucking place.
>>
>>1115249
Lmao cuck ok

Best school in Canada is whatever respectable degree in economics finance commerce accounting

After that put more emphasis and investment in yourself you dags

Always count on that MBA to get you a nice job, most firms would hire a shining personality from an interview with a only qaulifying degree over all these socially awkward Paki chink ass Fuckers with 2 MBAs and a CFA
>>
>>1115948
DONT
its shit
it merely floats on the reputation of the REAL UofT
plus its all asians
>>
>>1116944
"Real" uoft is all Asians too.

The co-op program isn't half bad there either.

On your diploma it's not going to say nor will anyone care you went to UTSC or SG.
>>
>>1116103

OP asked for the best bcomm dumb fuck
>>
>>1116147
lol im in ottawa, turn up man. made it into carelton and ottawa u but ended up going to the gonq show last year and im loving it
>>
>>1117360
>>1116949
Yeah...I'm not really considering UofT Scarborough sorry. I applied to Rotman though.

>>1117381
>>1116147
Ottawa's actually pretty cool, small beautiful city with plenty of things going on. Carleton and ottawa aren't even bad, they're decent schools, especially compared to Brock, Algoma, etc.
>>
File: McMaster admission.png (19 KB, 619x313) Image search: [Google]
McMaster admission.png
19 KB, 619x313
Apparently today, McMaster started giving out "conditional offers" with no admission email nor informing OUAC. Take a look cause I'm not sure if this is even an offer...
>>
> yfw Canadian bcom is just ham
>>
>>1118447
McMaster financial math undergrad here. It's conditional because if you fuck up your second semester then they don't want you. You "got in," just maintain your marks
>>
>>1118447
Would-be McMaster engineering major here. That conditional offer basically means you got in, as long as you don't screw up your second semester.

I ended up going to Guelph though.
>>
>>1118447
>>1118546
>>1119018
>TFW due to mark inflation in Ontario no University wants your retarded ass and you pretend to be a Graduate student online to try to garner some respect but in reality you're subhuman

Just kill me desu. Would McCuckster take me if I sucked admission's cocks?
>>
>>1119025
No other offers anon? If it makes you feel better, my offer from McMaster was also conditional as was everyone else's that I knew.
>>
>>1119030
No you don't understand. I have been NEET for years because no one wanted to accept me.

Now I just pretend to know something because I browsed various subreddits of Universities to get a general idea of what it's like so I can blend it and not be questioned.
>>
>>1119033
Well, after all those years you got an offer right? Why did it take so long however? Surely you could have been off to uni sooner?
>>
>>1119041
>Well, after all those years you got an offer right?

No I have not.

>Why did it take so long however?

I have not, I wish to go to University to study Economics or Finance but my marks and brain is too shit.
>>
>>1119046
Oh shit that was another poster that had that uni offer. I'm sorry anon.

Most people in uni are pretty stupid if that makes you feel any better. I'm in Engineering and I have no idea what's going on in electromagnetics and my fluids courses. Somehow I'm still making it though, and it's not because I'm smart, it's because I have friends.

You need friends in uni man.
>>
>>1119052
I just want to study and become a normal person man.

Why is it so hard?

What do I have to do?

I'm so lonely, I pretend to be successful on the internet so that I feel less shitty but it doesn't help

I'm social with people and try to make smalltalk and I'm a nice guy and friendly but I have no actual friends to talk to.

>TFW can't remember last time a friend has called you on the phone or texted you that was personal
>>
>>1119055
Is going to uni completely out of bounds for you now? I'd say a good way to go is to start up your own business. If you don't have capital, do some odd jobs during the night along with a minimum wage job during the day. Once you have that, make some investments into government bonds or blue cap stocks. Try to get at least one or two passive sources of income. They don't have to be much, just something for a little extra spending/beer money. You could do something online, like selling your shit through ebay or writing a book and publishing it on Kindle. Hell, even mowing the neighbours lawn for ten bucks is something you could do.

Once you've made some return on your investments, try to start investing into more risky stocks with higher returns. You will either start seeing some actual money flowing in, or you will lose some that you made on previous investments.

At least this is going to be part of my plan if the whole engineering thing doesn't work out.
>>
>>1119057
I have $25,000 saved.

I can't find anything to do that makes any good money man.

I'll try again in the summer. Going to use a shitty old lawnmower to mow people's grass and try to save up for a better one, probably won't work tho.

I don't know anymore man. I wish life was as easy as it was in the past. This shit sucks.
>>
>>1116949
that is true friend but the main issue is networking with these gooks and making do with sub par profs
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.