[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coffee house?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Coffee-coffee-13874368-1920-1200.jpg (454 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Coffee-coffee-13874368-1920-1200.jpg
454 KB, 1920x1200
Is it possible to run a successful coffee house in today's market in the USA alone (I mean literally run it as a sole proprietor but file as an LLC)?

I just want to live in a semi-populous area somewhere in Colorado, Northern NY (prefer this to be honest), and live in a decent sized apartment upstairs with a coffee house below. Is it possible? I'm 19 years old and wanted to do this because
1) I love coffee, and don't mean that in a meme way, take pride in my brew.
2) Wanted a steady source of income without having to work for someone else while I continue my prosthesis research in University.

I'm capable of making a business plan but have no idea how to conduct market analysis or anything like that, don't even know if its needed. Of course I'd do the obvious check the local scene, have a target demographic, I'd want to make it a homey place that isn't too edgy (hipster tier, a lot of these places claim to use recycled materials as furniture and art, and act like its a good thing, these places look like fucking garbage). I know it won't be easy, this would mean attending to it by myself, working well over 40 hours a week, as I make more money and develop steady customers, maybe I could hire a barista or an administrative assistant part time.

As for money, right now I'm working a job as soon as I get out of mandatory outpatient therapy. Priority is 1>mental health 2>physical health 3>job, save money 4>school, biomed engineering minor in business admin 5>coffeehouse while doing research when possible
>>
>>1112983
short answer? nope

long answer? hell no.
>>
>>1112986
Well an answer is a decent start.

Could I please have a short explanation? Something tells me I should keep my coffee brewing as a really intense hobby and focus on my prostheses.
>>
>well over 40 hours a week

Topkeke op
>>
>>1112988

Well it makes sense doesn't it? You're looking at taking on all the duties of running a coffee house by yourself. From what I've been reading it can be over 60 to 80 hours depending on the kind of "small business" you open.

Anon pls I shitpost on /a/ but need genuine help here, /adv/ is full of normans and "muh no gf, ask gurl ask peepee thread", all the threads regarding other topics/not related to providing emotional security are slid.
>>
>>1112987
in the UK you need 500k ($700k USD) to start a fucking starbucks..

do you have 700,000 in capital to start your fucking meme bullshit coffe house anon? no you dont. You dont have shit.
>>
File: 1455604873629.jpg (38 KB, 404x489) Image search: [Google]
1455604873629.jpg
38 KB, 404x489
>>1112994
>In the UK

Sorry for a second there I thought you had a brain, saved $100,000 so far. I make $40,000 a year. You don't need $500,000 to start a business and be successful, least of all a cuck-tier starbucks. If anything, have a variety of options at my disposal, including loans. Not to say I'll use em.

Thanks anon :^)
>>
Are you from CO? I'm from CO as well
>>
Honestly it heavily depends. You could easily open a decently successful small shop in one of the many cheap areas of the country. There are entire towns without coffee shops in more remote areas and those towns always have teenagers and young adults that probably would like to frequent on if it existed.

If you want to compete with other established shops or chains like Starbucks good fucking luck. Don't even think about opening one in a populated expensive city with a million shops already.

We have an amazing local chain that stands out by having unique coffee suppliers listed by region that they roast themselves and sell for $15 a pound and its some dank ass shit. Once you start drinking it from the drip dispenser (usually 4 varieties at $2 a cup) you can't go back to cheap shit and end up buying your coffee with them.

They also specialize in blends made with their own coffee and tea and fresh fruit. They also make money by selling sandwiches, soups, and bakery shit.
>>
>>1112999

The cash isn't the problem the problem is you are helpless.

You're unemployed now (you lazy piece of shit), you're already scheming how you can open place and work 0 hours a week there- not cut out for it.

youre what we call a manchild- someone needs to hold your hand and do everything.

teach you to do the market analysis

teach you to calculate operating costs

teach you to calculate B/E points

etc etc

But you know what we can't teach you? Value of hard work.

That's why you're doomed to failure in ANY business
>>
>>1112994
>you need 500k ($700k USD) to start a fucking starbucks..

True, but peddling shit on ebay is "free" and technically counts as a business
>>
>>1112983
Yeh. You could do a co op if you dont mind simple living (google "shot in the dark cafe" in tucson) , this would definitely

Yourr margins dont come from coffee though so , gotta sell at least baked goods
>>
>>1113789
>Yourr margins dont come from coffee though

>implying 4 dollar cups of coffee aren't extremely profitable
>implying 5 dollar coffee milkshakes aren't too

Gotta go for that Starbucks feel
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.