[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Small Business Valuation General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: small_biznass.jpg (76 KB, 700x422) Image search: [Google]
small_biznass.jpg
76 KB, 700x422
I'll kick it off with the situation I'm in and the questions I have around it.

I've been offered a partnership buy-in for a small company. I know a bit about valuation, but this company is really young (6 months) and the market it operates in is pretty young too ("Escape Game" entertainment), so that makes it even more complicated to pin down a number I'm confident in.

I worked out a floor of about $125,000 liquidation value, and they gave a number of $550,000 based on projected revenue for a year plus current assets as they've calculated them. I'd consider that the ceiling value but they seem pretty stuck on it as the final value.

The market is getting increasingly competitive (7 places running now in our city of 1m, and 2 more opening soon). My services (electronics design) are a big part of what differentiates them from competitors.

How would you wise anons factor in the risks that come from running a trendy business in a market that is rapidly saturating and becoming more competitive? Would it be out of line to say that the skills I contribute to the company have intangible value that should be factored in to my buy-in? What the hell else should I be considering?
>>
wow you're an idiot.
>>
>>1112428
It is wise to not value a business based on projected revenue, but on actual revenue. The projected revenue should just be a incentive to get in the business but nothing more than that.
>>
>>1112442
Thank you. That's my feeling as well.

If they had been running for 2 years and the revenue stream was proven, then I'd be comfortable with a revenue multiplier type valuation, but there is just not enough data yet.

>>1112440
no u.
>>
What's the percentage and for how much?
>>
Hey, I have a virgining kneepad business. It's only been open for 2 months, but I project my revenue to be 8 trillion dollery-doos. Are you interested in buying for 500k?
>>
(OP here but I'll have a new ID because of posting from different computer)

>>1112918
Well I've got $20k to invest so at a $500k valuation that's 4%. I'd get a vote with equal weight to the other shareholders votes though.

>>1112954
Yeah, you're not that far off but they've been open for 6 months now and are bringing in between $30-50k EBITD per month. Not bad.
>>
>>1112428
Small businesses aren't worth shit desu.

Your best bet is to invest your own time to grow the business. Don't let investors hop in and get too much stake.

For example, I made ~320K profit (~800K revenue) last year and I wouldn't consider my company to be worth much over 1M from an investor's standpoint due to uncertainty and Jewery.

If you know what the fuck you are doing, an investor wouldn't price that correctly, therefore he would undercut the intrinsic value of your business.

TL;DR: Getting investors is a game of trying to exaggerate how much your business is actually worth and bailing once things go south if you can't maintain growth.
>>
>>1112428
Hypothetical money is worthless, ask enron.
>>
did you do a DCF
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.