[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know where else to turn. My mom is being forced
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: wHGmt.jpg (288 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
wHGmt.jpg
288 KB, 1536x2048
I don't know where else to turn.

My mom is being forced out of the home I was raised in. I've moved out, but I still live close to her. She's stayed in the same apartment for over 20 years.

We live in Los Angeles in a rent-controlled building. The building was sold recently and the new owner is trying to force everyone out of their homes.

He's let the building go to shit. The plants are dying, the pool is filthy, the leaves from trees are collecting on the ground. He's going to people's homes at night to try and intimidate them out.

Legally, what can I do?
I'm still on the lease and I want to protect my mom and the other people living there.
What is a good source for legal information on a topic like this?
How can I fight this and how much would it cost to fight something like this?

I'm sorry if this isn't the board for this. I don't know where else to go, and I figured business is often related to knowing legal issues.
>>
Hm idk maybe you can get a free legal consultation from a property lawyer, I doubt anyone here really knows any specifics as to what you can do.
>>
As your attorney I advise you to stop renting like a faggot & go buy a home.
>>
>>1111978
I bet you're one of those berniefag gimmedats too, thinking you're entitled to an apartment instead of paying for one on the free market.

Anyway, the solution is simple. Just invest your money on the stock market and then use your earnings to pay for rent.
>>
>>1111978
>rent-controlled building
>building was sold recently
>building go to shit
Thanks, I know that all is well with the world!

Basically selling the building breaks everyone's lease, so the new owner can legally evict everyone.
>>
>>1111978
Okay, i'm gonna assume you're not a faggot troll.

Firstly 4chan is not the god damned place to ask for help with this bullshit. It's full of asshats and dipshits. Especially not /biz. Go read the fucking rules and GTFO. Go to https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance
If you REALLY want internet help.

Secondly, you're fucked anyways, cuz if the building is really owned by another person you can't do jackshit legally. The only way you could fight is if you found a decent lawyer willing to fight it.

Finally you should fucking prep for moving. Go do some housing research cuz the earlier you look the better you'll find.
>>
>>1112046
>selling the building breaks everyone's lease

Not in CA; Rental laws here are complex.
>>
I'm not familiar with the laws in your area but if I were in your situation I'd start with a phone call to these places first thing in the morning.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/states/california/renting/tenantrights
http://www.housingrightscenter.org
>>
>>1111978

Talk to a lawyer, start collecting evidence (keep a log of when he visits tenants to intimidate them, that kind of thing). Landlord harassment tends to be illegal as all fuck, with both criminal and civil penalties. If you can prove he's doing it then you can dump him in the shit.
>>
Move to a country without rent control
>>
You can go back to Mexico jose
>>
>>1111978

>He's let the building go to shit. The plants are dying, the pool is filthy, the leaves from trees are collecting on the ground.

need more info on the agreement, tho defaults for lease is that the leasee keeps up the property
>He's going to people's homes at night to try and intimidate them out.

first threaten him you'll tip police. if continues tip police.

jeeez bro, i live in russia and most people here know these things, it should be like common sense in america, i mean?
>>
>>1112516
>it should be common sense in America I mean
The ivory tower is real in America. Colleges are basically communes that people think can realistically be expanded to the entire nation. Other people want to ban guns/hunting while more people than ever are being mauled by mountain lions. Still more think they are actually entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness rather than simply the freedom to work for them.
Also, everything is discrimination.
Colleges that have attempted to institute mandatory STD screening like your russian universities got hit with by lawyers saying they were discriminating against gays.
>>
>>1111978
Depends if shes on a lease or month to month. If its a lease he probably has to honor the lease regardless if its a new owner and cant do anything until the lease expires. If its month to month he doesnt even need to evict you he can just raise the rent.
>>
>>1111978
Move out, fucking loser. It's his building.

I read sob stories like this on /r/losangeles all the time. I have no sympathy for trash like you.
>>
>>1112046
>hurr durr I'm a fucking idiot who talks about shit I know nothing about

>>1111978
Talk to the other tenants. If you get a bunch of them on board, I bet you you won't have too much trouble finding an attorney who will work on contingency basis (no money upfront), because the settlement could be substantial
>>
>>1111978

Sucks bro. Just look up local lawyers and find one that specializes in property and rent situations.

Another idea would be to video/document what is going on and share it with the news. If the news exposes the guy he might stop what he's doing to avoid the criticism.

But, actually I have to agree with the other posters in this thread. Unfortunately your mom RENTS the place. She does not own it. So when someone buys where she lives, and her lease runs out, they have the option to do whatever they want with that space. And really they should, it's theirs.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.