[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, so young fagg here, I'm freshly enlisted in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: sir_patrick_stewart.jpg (68 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
sir_patrick_stewart.jpg
68 KB, 640x512
Hey guys, so young fagg here, I'm freshly enlisted in the marines out of high-school and just inherited 100,000k. I've always had it in my mind to do 20 years in the marines then retire using them benefits(inb4 welfare queen) anything I can incest that much money into that would be safe and not fucked by inflation by the time I get out?
>>
>>1111417

If you want a non-meme answer, just get a bunch of 10-year maturity T-bill bonds before you ship out and you will make a nice sum by the time you finishing massacring mudslimes
>>
>>1111417
>anything I can incest that much money into that would be safe and not fucked by inflation
Well, you can incest it into your mom, but she'd probably inflate.

Joking aside, if you invest in index funds (which roughly means you invest in every business on that stock market) then it should grow along with the market. So it would retain it's value.
>>
>>1111438
>invest in index funds
Low risk investing for dummies. Good idea.

I'm not calling OP dumb, but if I was preoccupied for the next 20 years, I probably wouldn't have the resources to learn the finer workings of investing. If I was in his shoes, I'd invest in an index fund.
>>
>>1111417
So you inherited 100 million?

What the fuck are you doing here, go talk to an estate planner you idiot
>>
>>1111417
>do 20 years in the marines
Put money in index funds
Make will
Die
>>
>>1111417
> Implying your lil Boi pussy can even make it in the marines.
>>
>>1111417
Vanguard index funds. It'll be like millions by the time youre out.

Google up a compound interest calculator and run the numbers
>>
>>1111417
Invest in petroleum, it's almost like investing in the company you work for.
>>
>>1111564
seconding this, if you mean 100 million OP then go talk to a professional estate manager

even if it isn't, talk to a financial professional
>>
>>1111417
>Vanguard fund
>put it in a money market account
>Transfer a fixed sum to index fund, ticker symbol VTI, every month
>I'd say 5k a month, using automatic transfer
>Stop transfer at 80k
>Keep 20k in cash for emergency

This is the smartest thing you can do
>>
>>1111791
Actually do 1k every two weeks
>>
>>1111795
Ohere
What's the logic behind doing small inriments frequently rather than a large sum up front? Is it to try and score a better interest rate and not get screwed with a sub-par rate for all my money?(only some)
>>
>>1111805
Google dollar cost averaging.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging
It minimizes risk. I was in the same boat as you at 18, I am now 31 and work a job for benefits only. I am set, I don't need money. I work because it's good for me psychologically to get up and have somewhere to be.
If you're not memeing, call Vanguard tomorrow and they will help you set it up so you don't have to do anything. My advice is to let compound interest work its magic. Forget about the money for a decade, then look at it when you're 30.
>>
>>1111716
Wew lad
>>
>>1111810
Thanks man, that was actually a compelling read and makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>1111805
Also stocks (which is what index funds are) aren't paid based on interest rates. That's bonds. Stock traditionally do better when interest rates are lower, but not always. Bonds offer a fixed return, lower than the historical average return of the total stock market (which is what VTI the stock mirrors). Keep in mind inflation rates will eat away at your returns. If a bond offers 5%, you will still lose 3.2% purchasing power bc inflation so really you're only getting 2.8% return. Over a decade, the difference between 7 to 9% (historical return of VTI-the whole US stock market) and 5% for bonds is huge. Especially for 80k.
>>
>>1111823
1.8% not 2.8% god damn phone
>>
>>1111417

Incest your cousin. Im sure telling her you are a marine will convince her to ignore the taboo and suck your dick.
>>
20 years in the marines pfff haha your funny.

I give you 2 years tops before you start to thinkin about getting out and using that money elsewheree

10 tops before you get med'd out because your body is shit.

shoulda went navy, chair force, or coastie kid.
>>
>>1111417
I don't know you could try and put it in your cousins vag but frankly you would be better off investing it
>>
Best investment Berkshire Hathaway

Warren Buffet's philosophy is low risk high return.
>>
File: 1456476689995.jpg (100 KB, 604x450) Image search: [Google]
1456476689995.jpg
100 KB, 604x450
>>1111954
^ This right here

Enjoy peacetime corps and cleaning. Your gonna love the way the green wiener works, I guarantee it.
>>
Buy a rental property somewhere you'll want to be in 20 years op.

$100,000 is prolly a good down payment most places you want it to be. If its in a resort area, rent it out or VRBO it.

If its somewhere you want to raise a family, let a little old lady rent it and pay for taxes and your mortgage.

Good luck op
>>
File: 1456177038250.png (221 KB, 639x326) Image search: [Google]
1456177038250.png
221 KB, 639x326
>100k head start in adult life
>die being a bullet sponge at the hands of sand people
>toplel

I'd smoke some weed and get kicked out before going to basic if I were you.
>>
>>1113011
Brk is over-bought. It's a meme. Stick with VTI. I know. I own BRK-A shares. VTI will outperform it long term.
>>
>>1113047
DO NOT BUY A RENTAL PROPERTY IF YOU DONT HAVE THE TIME TO MANAGE IT.
The main reason to own property is for tax advantages. If you are still trying to grow wealth passively (which you are) stick with index funds.
>>
>>1113061
knew an asshole who did that, worst decision of his life. Everyone knows it, still had the austerity to talk to us vets about his "service', Still smokes weed and doesnt understand how it ruined his life. Some poeples kids.

>>1113047
>>1113083
Yes and no. As a young marine you will not be able to live outside of the barracks. You will spend most of your days beating your dick, floating under the radar, and drunk when not on duty. If you were to get married there is a paid incentive too do so, as long as you dont marry a whore.

My advice marry a mature friend, or someone older (family friend). They can receive tuition benefits and healthcare while you are a geo bachelor. You'll get a housing stipend and food stipend, but of course being the retard you are she will divorce you and take all your shit because your an idiot.

Otherwise wait 5 years to pick up e4-5, or join a different branch and get it in 2-3.

LOOK into USAA home mortgages and loans and the VA home loan. VA home loan covers up to 7 properties before it starts getting real tricky, and you have to live there for a year. Easy to accomodate near a military post. You will move around a lot, and in some places owning a home is not possible in foreign countries. You can also use the USAA loans similarly. Then after 20 years of being fucked, paying thse mortgages down and renting to shitty enlisted you pick a place that you like and has the best commissary for you to cruise and pick on privates, and best hospital since your body will be shit and liquidate these other properties or continue to gain revenue from renting as they deteriorate into slums. Its kind of a officer racket btw, by enlisting you wouldn't understand, chump.
>>
File: 1382669309181.gif (978 KB, 470x262) Image search: [Google]
1382669309181.gif
978 KB, 470x262
>>1113132

I know more people who ruined their life joining the military than I know that smoked weed once or twice in their life.
>>
>>1113178
I know more people who ruined their lives smoking weed in the military then those that successfully served. Whats your point? "A blublublu army dum dums" Says the kid sucking down addys since 5 and denied at meps, or better yet "depressed".

Pop hot on a federal piss test, Dishonorable discharge, Fed piss tests are on record for 20 years nigger lover.
>>
>>1113236
>Pop hot on a federal piss test, Dishonorable discharge,

Dishonorable for weed? You dont know wtf youre talking about, you poser faggot. You never served.
>>
>>1113240
if you show up to mcrd and pop hot on the piss test you will get a dishon.
>>
>>1113132
You sound like the pompous officer type, which is why we hate you all. You fucking arrogant dilshits with your "underwater basket weaving" degrees
>>
>>1113373
No you'll just separated like you never tried to enlist
>>
>>1113373
Sure thing, poser.

>>1113403
Ignore him, he's a poser.
>>
Drop 100k on really cool operator tier guns to prove to the marines you deserve to start as an officer right out of basic training

serious answer: buy ETH
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.