[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
did it require a full book to make this point?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: The_black_swan_taleb_cover.jpg (11 KB, 200x304) Image search: [Google]
The_black_swan_taleb_cover.jpg
11 KB, 200x304
did it require a full book to make this point?
>>
like most books, no it didnt. but someone with an ego as big as Talebs cant go around publishing pamphlets you know?
>>
>>1111278
ya that's kind of what I thought. I was listening to dao of capital recently and it has some interesting anecdotes but if you're not interested it's like pure filler
>>
>>1111271
Totally agree OP. Taleb needed an entire book to satisfy his urge to appear poopysmart (as he is, btw). I have stopped reading non-fiction integrally altogether I just skip to the point. Anyone agree?
>>
I have mixed feelings on him but I'm mostly positive.

On the one hand he's kind of pretentious and he gives advice that he doesn't take. Like he poopoos formal education but he has 500 degrees. He poopoos structuring your life, but that's easy to say when you grew up without 4chan to distract you and you happen to be an autist who enjoys maths.

On the other hand, he is a funny and entertaining guy. His aphorism of "if you can sum up a book in one sentence then you shouldn't write it" is one I agree with, kind of. I enjoy reading his books like I would enjoy bullshitting with someone. I don't seriously expect to learn anything by reading a book. (only by going through textbooks and doing exercises, or by doing active things like ssay writing, NOT by reading prose). His books make me ashamed to try to add structure to my life (like giving myself a schedule), but I guess he has opened my eyes to how our society's inbuilt Taylorism is trying to cuck us.
>>
>>1111323
Taleb's books are really insufferable. The only reason his books sell is because his fanbase is equally insufferable aswell.

He's basically a shit tier version of Richard Dawkins.
>>
Hes just playing the meta. Its been this waysince Hobbes and leviathon.
>>
>>1111271
Again, going with the consensus Taleb is arrogant enough to make a pamphlet's (or at most a research paper's) worth of content into a full book

But he is still a fucking genius, just not as much as he thinks he is (no one is, was or ever will be as smart as Taleb fancies himself to be)
>>
>>1111271
Also, Antifragile is a much better, more useful book than Black Swan
>>
>>1111363
yeah some of his insights are good when taken with a grain of salt. he can be entertaining if you don't take it too strong.
>>
>>1111546
sounds good i'll look into that one
>>
I hated both Antifragile and Black Swan, it''s mostly filler in both cases. His tone comes off as pretentious as fuck and his narrative style is painful to read - like a tryhard creative.

However, both books' premises were good albeit did not need a full book to make the point.
>>
>>1111546
>>1111546

Not that much more though. Please don't oversell his work.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.