[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much wealth do you need for retirement?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
I am +20 year old Accounting student working part time in pretty good company. I recently got an promotion and it is looking good for me. I have started to wonder how much wealth I have to gather before I can retire comfortably.

I am investing on stocks and have few apartments rented out. Net value atm 150 000. My plan is to invest 10000 - 20000 per year on diversified stock portfolio over the next 25 years.

I don´t have any illusion about being a multi millionaire or anything I think maybe 1 million stock portfolio + 400 000 for real estate fund would do for me and I Could stop working full time when I am 55-60 years old.

Does my plan sound legit or do you guys have any tips or advises for me? Please no "buy bitcoin" stuff I already have 10 btc and not buying any more.
>>
>>1111189
And I don´t have family money to play with.
>>
I'd like to at least have a home paid for and enough in savings to at least live off of $2K a month. The younger you are, the more you need to retire.
>>
Cut your expenses, and you could retire yesterday.

t. Fag who needs 100k to retire.
>>
>>1111189
Why would you want to retire? What the fuck are you going to do all day?

If you aren't all ready doing it you're missing the point.
>>
>>1111189
>retire comfortably
You're going to have to define this, quantitatively, before anyone can help you answer this question. I assure you that my definition of comfortable retirement is very different than the answers you'll get from others. But only you know that type of life you envision for yourself.
>>
>>1111208
100 K? With 10 % profit per year you are looking at 10 000 euros (Yes I am european)? Maybe it would be possible to live with that amount of money in some cheap countries but I am counting on that every cheap Country I would consider living will become more expensive during the next 20 years so that is of the question.
>>
>>1111214
iHaz :3

I know cryptographic assets are probably out of your investing comfort zone, but have you looked into Ethereum at all just based on all the shilling that's been going on?
>>
>>1111214
To drive new Mercedes, Nice house, eat at restaurants once a day, travel maybe twice in a year buy brand clothes, drink fine whiskeys and smoke fine sigars. That is what I think is living comfortably.
>>
>>1111217

You're an accountant. Calculate how much you need, add inflation, and there you have your sum.

I'm a eurofag too, north one, healthcare and education is free here. I've lowered my expenses such that I need less than 5k a year, allowing me to retire by 30.

If you can into minimalism is altogether different from needing a car, hookers, and blow. But again, you can calculate.
>>
>>1111221
>quantitatively
Google it kid.

We need your desired retirement income, not your dream journal.
>>
>>1111219
Actually if you read my original post I have 10 btc:s I made good amount of money with them but sold out most of it before it hit 900 usd. I have been considering ethereum but I don´t understand the concept of it how it would actually work in future do you have any links where it is explained?
>>
>>1111225
Yes I have calculated it but I was thinking more about where to invest, which industries and any alternative investment choices besides stocks and such
>>
>>1111226
well about 5000 - 7500 euros per month after taxes (30 %) I was refering to before posted that I don´t want just to maintain but to enjoy life.
>>
>>1111232
I was talking to iHaz!

Just try to make as much money as you can and save half of it every year. I don't know how much money iHaz recommends saving/spending every year, but I imagine he'd talk about it depends on what retirement goal you're saving for. Just give this pleb a rule of thumb. Having a "money goal" is too abstract. You need an actual plan to get a high paying job.
>>
>>1111221
Well now this depends on where you live and the cost of the car you drive.

I am going to assume you might live somwhere where food, utilities, and mortgage/rent/taxes for month to month living averages 2500.

Your car might be 15k a year for 3 years or something.

Can cost 10k for 2 trips for you and another person at true not really giving a fuck and doing whatever you want on the trip without being obnoxious with money.

Eating out at a restaurant every day, depends on the restaurant but for two people lets assume you average 80 dollars a day (this would be another 2,400 a month).

Brand clothes, who knows.Lets assume you go on a shopping spree every 2 months on one day and spend 500 dollars. That's 250 a month.

Lets assume you are a casual drinker and can finish a very large bottle of fine whiskey once a week and smoke whatever fine cigars you wish. Let assume this is 100 a week. 400 a month.

The car would be something that needs random checkups over time, lets assume that's 3,000 a year.

I am not gonna calculate the car lease into this because I have no idea what kind of deal you will get there, but I am gonna put that in to 300 a month just to make it count.

This all combined comes together to 6680 a month, or 80k a year.

Lets assume you want to retire at 55 and expect to live till 75, you will need 1,603,200.

There are very easy ways to significantly reduce this (no travel, not eating out every day), but I did this up from what you posted.
>>
>>1111244
Thanks I figured about that much too. I was also thinking maybe moving somewhere where taxation is lower but what could be best country to move if I don´t want to live in a jungle?
>>
>>1111239

Obviously invest into things that reduce your expenses.

> cigars and whiskey
Invest into something that imports cigars, get better prices on them. Become a partner at a local distillery, get all the whisky you want.
>>
>>1111249
You could live in the mid-west if you want. Some places are as low a 400-800 dollars a month rent + utilities or a mortgage in the smaller cities. In the biggest bum fuck nowhere places with only a gas station, local store, bank, and post office, I see house mortgages as little as in the 200's every month. In bum fuck nowhere, partial ruins towns with only a post office and a population under 100, home mortgage is in the 100's a month.

The benefit of living in bum fuck nowhere is no cops or people to bother you. Can literally go anywhere and do anything.

That's up to you though.
>>
>>1111241
To pull 7500 Euros monthly for an extended retirement period with a 90+ degree of confidence we'll use a 3% safe withdrawal rate, meaning you'll need 3 million Euros.

>>1111219
The name of that shitcoin is in my filter list. I wouldn't have even seen your post if someone else hadn't quoted it. That should answer your question.
>>
>>1111256
lol, okay gramps. Why so closed minded?
>>
try to save a minimum of 75k a year if you want to retire at a decent age
>>
>>1111256
iHaz are you afraid trustless cryptocurrency contracts will make law merchants like you obsolete?
<3
>>
>>1111393
Is "decent age" fucking 40?
>>
>>1111189
>The year 2016
>Wanting to retire
All the big billionaires and entrepreneurs never retire they stay active and keep hustling
Same goes for actors and artists.
Only people who have any right to consider retiring are low to middle income wage slavers and athletes.
>>
>>1111189
You are in the ballpark actually, based industry standard assumptions. Assuming you intend on a middle class income in retirement.
>>
>>1111189

Depending on how much your cost of living costs and how long you plan to live after retiring (also how much social security you can count on if the system is still there when you retire).
>>
>>1111385
>Why so closed minded?
>>1111447
>are you afraid
I fully believe that we'll all be using some variety of cryptocurrency in my lifetime. I also fully believe that it will NOT be bitcoin or any variant that currently exists.

Once I see an open-source coin with widespread adoption AND reversibility, then I'll start to pay attention. Problem is, your tiny user base of fringe fanboy fanatics don't want reversibility, while no serious financial institution or intelligent investor would touch any coin without it.

But this is entirely off-topic, so let's get back to OP's far-fetched dreams of financial independence.
>>
>>1111628
>AND reversibility

Satoshi addresses that in the Bitcoin white paper. Reversibility requires more trust to be inherent in the system and increases overhead cost for every transaction which means micro transactions become impossible.

>Once I see an open-source coin

They are all open source.

>Problem is, your tiny user base of fringe fanboy fanatics don't want reversibility, while no serious financial institution or intelligent investor would touch any coin without it.

The 11 R3 consortium banks conducting experiments with Ethereum says otherwise.

Barclays, BMO Financial Group, Credit Suisse, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, HSBC, Natixis, Royal Bank of Scotland, TD Bank, UBS, UniCredit and Wells Fargo
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.