[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"[...] and you too can become rich if you study hard,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 12
File: image.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>"[...] and you too can become rich if you study hard, get into a good school, and work hard."
>>
>>1109984
what is dumb advice from boomers?
>>
>>1109984
>>1110052
How is this bad advice?

It is entirely true.

Try /r9k/.
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 421x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 421x372
>>1110052
More like dumb lies that the bourgeoises tell the proletariat to keep them poor.

>>1110054
It's terrible advice, and If you take it you're a fool who's destined to live a life of unfulfilling mediocrity.
>>
>>1110074
Why is it wrong?
>>
>>1110074
>unfulfilling mediocrity

Says this while posting on 4chan
>>
File: image.jpg (183 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183 KB, 800x600
>>1110107
Problem number one is that most people aren't actually paying for their education. Nay; if they were paying for their education or some other applicable skill they could use to acquire wealth they'd just audit classes. What these people are paying for when they decide to go these dreadful institutions of 'education' is credibility. The credibility needed to make someone else money and to learn how to be put to work making someone elses wealth. Someone who realized that he doesn't really need many skills, because he can always just pay some fool who has the skills he lacks.
Secondly school costs a great deal of money which could've been invested in more profitable ways. Assuming you haven't been awarded scholarships to go to school you're going to have to borrow money from a bank which, if you had any comprehension of how our fiat currency works--how big of scam it is, how immoral the men who created it were, you should never even entertain. But, you do. You submit to this usury beast and you spend the next 10 years of your life, if you're lucky AND if the bankers print enough money for you to pay off the interest, paying off this LIABILITY all the while thinking it's an asset. You see, the rich don't WORK for their money and they don't pay for liabilities; the rich pay others for their to work for them and they only purchase assets. Higher education is just a way to make more money from your time and all the debt keeps you from buying any assets. Higher education (and accepting usury) is like financially hamstringing yourself.
>>
>>1110190
>*they were really interested
>>
>>1110190
But I'm graduating with little to no debt.

How can I possibly be investing that money better when having even a shitty college degree yields a much higher average salary than just highschool?

You sound like a /pol/ retard.
>Itz a scam guys it's all a scam why don't u just start a business it's so easy!
Yeah, how successful is your business? Oh wait you're posting on 4chan while being a NEET.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 260x260
>>1110211
Did you get a degree in some sort of skill that will help you make money? Psychology? Economics?
>>
>"Get into eye-watering debt for a useless piece of paper that some HR hambeast will just huff at and fling aside while asking you 'where do you see yourself in 5 years shitlo- I mean cis scu- I mean Mr. Anon?' then work 9-5 for 20 years making money for someone else, that's how you become rich!"
>>
>>1110190

your entire premise for generating wealth assumes you are already rich
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 284x178) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 284x178
>>1110231
Exactly. I'd rather just live like a peasant for four years, investing all my savings and dividends instead of plunge myself into debt I won't be able to pay off until ten or twenty years later.

>>1110241
>implying poor people can't save
>implying poor people can't invest

No it doesn't, you're just a sheep. Baaaahhhh.
>>
File: 1455347499728.jpg (82 KB, 595x835) Image search: [Google]
1455347499728.jpg
82 KB, 595x835
>>1109984
>working hard is hard I give up
>>
File: image.png (47 KB, 609x297) Image search: [Google]
image.png
47 KB, 609x297
>>1110270
There's nothing wrong with working hard...so long as you don't do it for all of your life. You think Donald Trump is out there 'working hard'? Fuck no. He's paying people to work hard for him and he makes his money work for him.
>>
>>1110282
>campaigning for President
>not working hard
Are you joking?
>>
>>1110295
Stick to the topic at hand: making money.
>>
>>1110260
>the only option is 10 years of debt

Are you retarded?
You can easily have minimal debt if you work during college, summers and do an internship or two.
>>
>>1110282
>>1110304
Yeah?

How many people are you currently having work for you? Since it's so easy.

How's your business going and how much do you make?
>>
>>1110225
>Psychology
>Economics
>One of those majors is in the top 25 for returns on investments
>The bottom is barely above philosophy

No matter what point you're trying to make, it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>1110594
Even so my point still stands.

Even the worst majors possible yield a significantly higher salary than just highschool. To out-do this sort of lifelong earning over 4 years is nearly impossible.

College is probably the best investment you can make. But I do hope people like OP exist so there is less competition for my college bros. It makes our degrees more valuable :+)
>>
ITT Bernie tards blog about how no one will give them 100k/yr to be a diversity coordinator
>>
>>1109984
It's a matter of statistics.

/biz/ seems to be pretty set on this idea that a man decides his own fate. That we're all governed by free will. Not to get too euphoric, but i think it's pretty safe to say this isn't the case.

If you're genetically predisposed and raised a certain way, you'll have the intelligence and the drive to become rich from nothing. Even then, there's a good deal of luck involved and more entrepreneurs barely end up making as much as the average wage slave or going bankrupt than become rich.

The fact is that /biz/ is basically the roleplaying board for people to pretend they're successful businessmen when statistically speaking they're almost all NEET, a student, someone making less than the median wage, or a struggling entrepreneur. The idea of not being in control triggers their aspergers so they'll always argue that success is a positive linear formula with X being "how much you want it".
>>
>>1110599
This desu.

You can just feel that they read some shitty blog and think "Make people work for you and just pay them less than they make you" is some revolutionary idea.
>>
>>1110581
It's too bad Berniefags don't understand this.

>education should be free
>The reason so many don't go to college is because it costs so much

From what i remember the kids who didn't continue their education past high school was because they were too fucking stupid and lazy to even study the basic material high school taught.
>>
>>1110597
>Even the worst majors possible yield a significantly higher salary

Maybe, but depending on how much you pay for college (including opportunity costs), you're basically just as well off not going than going for certain majors.

But I'm arguing a really fine point so it's not really important. You're basically correct.
>>
>>1110607
I dropped out because my parents fucked up my financial aid and ran a student loan in my name without telling me that ruined my credit.

I'm going back now in the summer but I'll be out anywhere from 20,000-40,000 when it's all said and done.

Though to be fair, that's the price of a new car, and hardly insurmountable. I'm just very debt averse, but finishing school is the only way I'll be able to leave home at this rate.

If college were free, I would be out by now, but I also don't think it should be free for other reasons.
>>
>>1110608
Well I mean that let's say the degree costs an even $40-50k.

Even if it's some dogshit English/philosophy degree you can still leverage it to get into a cozy office job still making peanuts, but A LOT more peanuts than with no degree.

Most HR departments specifically look just for "a degree", they just check off the box. So really it is better than not going at all considering those additional lifetime earnings, which will very easily be more than the entire cost of the degree in a few years.

But yeah the only two options aren't English degree and only hs diploma of course. Major in something worthwhile, put in some effort and you're practically set to earn $80-100k.
>>
>>1110620
Yeah, I'd mostly agree. I think being set to earn high figures is more dependent on whether or not you get an internship than what you major in though.
>>
File: yfw.jpg (28 KB, 260x308) Image search: [Google]
yfw.jpg
28 KB, 260x308
>>1110599
nah. optimism brings the same minority back here again and again. once a wageslave one can always go back to it if one must.
>fail
>burn through some savings
>get new job, little bit older, little bit sadder
>new ideas, back on /biz/ again
>>
>>1110190
you're kind of rambling about irrelevant things here, tinfoil. it took me 2 minutes to realize you aren't referencing some inside joke and actually don't have a single point.

higher education isn't a financial investment. you can invest your time in education and it might pay off in the form of skills and experience, but this shit has nothing to do with how much money you have or will make. the reality is that OP's suggestion is a correlation, and a pretty safe bet. if you go to a good school you will probably end up wealthy, regardless of where you started. the resources there just accelerate whatever you're capable of doing. it doesn't mean that every good student is resourceful though.

saying the rich don't work hard doesn't mean anything. to get rich it's almost a necessity, even if the success rate is low. it's hard because there's always competition.

also, at the end of the day most people here are pretty wealthy as it is relative to the rest of the world. maybe they don't need the school to advance their careers, but schools offer help getting started if you don't know how to get there. if you don't like bestiality or whatever your deal is, just go to a cheaper school while you try out different things. while super successful people might have been dropouts or troublemakers, most "rich" people are just dudes who got good grades and followed instructions. most real skills on this planet can't be outsourced.
>>
>>1110599
>one of the most controversial philosophical subjects
>"pretty safe to say i'm right :)"

rich =/= intelligence
rich =/= drive

luck is fine to argue on a short timescale, but people are given millions of chances over a lifetime. hollywood movies or tim ferriss workweeks are not how getting rich works. there are countless straightforward jobs that barely require anything beyond casual conversations and/or basic math that you could retire from in less than 10 years. not to mention that net worth is also based on lifestyle. if you have no control over that, i don't see why it would make sense to pick on some autist on 4chan while making yourself such an easy target
>>
>implying you can make money without a degree

you literally can't get a job, any entry level job, without a degree. unless its minimum wage, no wage through an internship, or manual labor.

as a jobseeker i havent found a single posting that doesn't list 4-year degree as a minimum requirement.

there really isn't a question of its value if the degree is a bare necessity for employment.
>>
File: 1393940401961.png (43 KB, 749x946) Image search: [Google]
1393940401961.png
43 KB, 749x946
>>1110190
how did the rich get their wealth then??????????????????????????!!!
>>
>>1110664
>he really believes this
Kek
>>
>>1110667
ok. find me an entry level job posting that doesn't list 4-year degree as a basic qualification, that pays more than $16/hour (aka livable/comfortable salary).

can't find one? didn't think so. fucking moron.
>>
>>1110190
>tfw parents are paying for school

Feels good man
>>
>>1110666
They inherited it. It's incredibly easy to make money once you have lots of money.
>>
>>1110709
>he takes "degree required" seriously
>>
>>1110074
So according to you you will get rich by not educating yourself and being lazy?

Fukking procrastinators, I swear
>>
>>1110636
>one of the most controversial philosophical subjects
Effects are determined by causes. Saying free will exists implies this isn't the case. That ideas can literally emerge out of nowhere.

The only reason its controversial is because it makes people feel icky to acknowledge the truth.
>>
>>1110667
>>1110709
The majority of listings that you will find online (which you shouldn't be looking at in the first place) will implicitly state a BA/BS as a requirement. You'll often see a degree as a "preferred requirement", as opposed to "basic". Sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes you'll see a listing calling for a degree or "equivalent experience", meaning some college education and a few years work experience.

Of course I'm talking about white-collar jobs, not retail or food service. Even entry level B2B sales jobs are calling for college educated applicants.

As the job market gets flooded with college educated applicants, the degree requirement will become the norm. It will basically serve as an initial screening requirement.
>>
>>1110775
>They inherited it. It's incredibly easy to make money once you have lots of money.

How did they get it in the first place?
>>
>>1110622
>I think being set to earn high figures is more dependent on whether or not you get an internship than what you major in though.

My point is you'll never go hungry and will always have at least a somewhat reasonable quality of life. Which can be further leveraged into starting a business or trying to get into some other field, etc.

Plenty of people with so-called "shit degrees" end up working in high-paying, unrelated fields. And they very likely wouldn't have so many oppertunities without a "Shit degree".
>>
>>1110667
>>1110776
>>he takes "degree required" seriously

Uhhh it';s true.

You do know that HR literally looks for if you have a degree or not, any degree right?

Yeah you can find a job without one, but the pickings will be very very slim for you. They simply WILL NOT consider you without a degree in most cases. Which leaves a small percent of jobs for you.

It's very obvious you're a NEET who thinks ANYONE will listen to you explaining "b-b-b-but I have the KNAWLEDGE and some experience! C-college is for dumb goyim wagecucks! I swear... J-just give me a chance...".
>>
>>1110920
Agreed.
>>
>>1110929
This is true.
The HR woman told me there is absolutely no way they would take someone without a degree.

And this was a programming position, meaning they care for skills first and foremost. A degree is a staple nowadays. everyone has them. Something has to be wrong with those who don't.

If one seriously doesn't want to get one, then starting a business from scratch might be an option. Won't be easy without experience, though.
>>
>>1110916

UHM UHH UH UHM UMM UHH AHH UHM
>>
>>1110967
This.

Whether or not this is unfair/retarded is besides the point. It is how it is and you have to be seriously delusional if you think anyone is going to listen to your explanations when almost all of it is handled by HR.

That's the thing I've been telling people. It's widely accepted, including by themselves that "everyone has a degree nowadays" - yes true, but what do you think you LOOK LIKE when you don't have one? You stand out in a very bad way.
>>
>tfw saying fuck the office racket and going into HVAC
People that think I'm too smart for it can look at my future paycheck. I'll take a high-valued bank account over a high-valued IQ.
>>
For those of us entering the corporate jungle, the degree is absolutely necessary. If not for the knowledge and skills, then the degree is needed for the bare requirement.

For everything else there's mastercard.
>>
>>1110929
Yeah, no. Glad you went to university though.

Have a focused career path and speak to people within the industry about what they're looking for. Every industry is different and has different requirements/expectations/profiles.
>>
>>1111060
This. You're not even answering phones without a degree.
>>
>>1110599
>>1110599
>>1110709
I pull about $1200 a week as a wageslave without a diploma.

401k with a 6% match and health/life/dental

C:
>>
>>1111067
>working 3 jobs
>>
You should only go to college if it's required to do what you really want to do. You should do what you love and figure out how to make a good living doing it. You don't have to make good money to be rich, you just have to be wise with growing your money.

My old man retired from the military with over 5 million in his bank account. If you're smart you can do anything and build up a little wealth for yourself.

If you're passion in life requires school then go to school, don't go to school if it doesn't. I dont get this board and trying to discourage eachother. Bunch of cynical neets who know nothing about money.
>>
>>1111067
Assuming you're right, congratulations. As the first line in my post says "It's a matter of statistics".

Being an outlier doesn't disprove the trend. It's expected.
>>
>>1110767
same desu
>>
>>1109984
I love how all the collegefags in here are trying so desperately hard to validate the time and money that they wasted. I dropped out after a couple months and actually had to apply critical thinking to become successful.
>applied for 20 internships at fortune 500 companies when I was 18
>told them all I was on a haitus from school but that I was planning to return in the fall and was filling the gap with internship
>landed a $20 paid internship at top engineering firm off of charisma and wits alone
>turned a 3 month internship into a $65k/year contract for 3 years by learning everything I could and becoming indispensable
>when contract ended applied for 20 jobs and omitted school/degree from resume
>bullshitted HR recruiters by saying I planned to go back to school after my "wife" finished her medical school because of bills
>landed another job at a fortune 500 company making $80k/ year
>worked there for 2 years while teaching myself web development
>pitched the CFO a proof of concept for a web application that would help the company with due diligence for mergers and acqusitions
>CFO signs off on project and get paid $400k over 2 years to manage a team of developers
>when the project was finished started my own web development company puling in a profit of $300k/year
>been doing this for a year now

I already know what the response to this will be: "muh anectdotal evidence" or "muh rare case". That's bullshit though. If you have enough drive, discipline and arent a complete dumbass you can overcome any obsticle. It just takes a little engenuity and perserverance.
>>
>>1110054

Except if you are something like a construction worker or janitor. In most manual labor it does not matter how hard you work, if you don't show leadership/entreprenuership you will never ever move up.
>>
>>1110074
not dumb lies. it's the reason asians, on average, make the most income out of any racial group in America

Rank Race Median household income (2014 US$)
1 Asian 74,105[1]
2 White 57,355[1]
– Total 53,657[1]
3 Pacific Islands 52,815[1]
4 African 37,227[1]
5 Native 35,481[1]
>>
>>1111122
> I dropped out
>internship at top engineering firm off of charisma and wits alone
stories that never happened
>>
>>1110054
I sometimes cant tell if you guys are this retarded or just trolling
>>
>>1111201

By averages, sure they are high.

But the vast vast majority of millionaires in the USA are white people and jews.
>>
>>1110190
tldr: the system is rigged

no shit. that's why you work hard to get in good with the people rigging it. if you're already rich work hard to stay rich.
>>
>>1111206
>n-no you didnt
>thats impossible!
Kek. Not possible for you because youre an idiot.
>>
>>1111061
>Have a focused career path and speak to people within the industry about what they're looking for. Every industry is different and has different requirements/expectations/profiles.

Maybe in the 60's, grandpa.

Nowadays everyone fucking wants degrees. They're not even going to look at your shitty resume without a degree on it. Don't you understand that Human Resources is the one responsible for it all? THey don't give a flying fuck what you think or what you know. They check off boxes, if the box is unchecked, you do not get a call back.
>>
>>1111122
>If you have enough drive, discipline and arent a complete dumbass you can overcome any obsticle. It just takes a little engenuity and perserverance.

No wonder you dropped out. You're a fucking retard.

NO SHIT YOU CAN OVERCOME IT YOU IDIOT. NO ONE IN THIS THREAD IS SAYING "KILL URSELF IF U HAVE NO DEGREE, END UR LIFE NOW".

WE'RE SAYING IT'S A GOOD INVESTMENT, AND IT MAKES YOUR LIFE HEAPS EASIER.

CAN YOU SUCCEED WITHOUT A DEGREE - YES ABSOLUTELY. HAVE PEOPLE SUCCEEDED WITHOUT THEM - YES OF COURSE.

The point is that it's an excellent investment and gives you something to fall back on as well as guaranteeing you a decent salary and opportunities to break into whatever you want, much moreso than without one.

You're shit is all fucked up. You're saying "Well Michael Jordan and Bill Gates didn't go to college and they're trillionaires! I didn't go to it either and I'm rich as fuck!". Yes, that's all good. But that DOES NOT mean that college is a poor choice.
>>
>>1109984
>sit down, shut up, do what you're told, we're all knowing.
>>
>>1111063
This is sadly too true.

I sit next to a call center - most even have their MBA and are making $35k.
>>
>degrees are require these days
>google jobs in the corporate world
This has always been the case retards. 30% of the US population has a degree. The number is declining a bit because of the boomers are dying. Millennials numbers are skewed because of the for-profit school. A lot of jobs now have filters for unaccredited "college" degrees. If you went to a major public university system then you'll be alright. This is the reason why companies are hunting down those with degrees because most millennials with a degree have a job. The ones who are complaining are the high school diploma faggots who are realizing that they're going to live a life of working class conditions. Trades schools are filled up with jamals, cletus, and juan after they saw their financial gains go down in their 20s from living the "life". Only to realize trade jobs are less available than white collar jobs. If you have a high school degree, enjoy living in poverty. Projection shows that in ten years the average college graduate will make 40k more than the average high school grad.
>>
>>1111337
Correct.

The
>Just do a trade bro it pays $35/hr as an apprentice and is rewarding labor with some nice men
Is a complete meme. I care about you guys, even if you are stupid. I don't want you to make the wrong decision and go to college years later when you wake up or be cursing yourself for being so stupid in the past.

Stop trying to cheat the system guys, just go to College and work hard.
>>
>>1111318
I dont agree with you that its a good investment. Its only a good investment if you are slow and require shit to be fed to you. Normal people with cognitive skills should be able to get the same information by picking up a couple fucking books. Hell, you have to buy the same books for lectures anyway but this way you can dissolve the information in a week or in some cases a couple days when the professor would have dragged it out to months. Fuck all that.

College was a complete waste of my time and I know I'm not alone in this. Why take 4 years of my life and tens of thousands of dollars if I dont have to? Just because some HR person wants to see BA at the bottom of my resume? So I gamed the system. It took me 1000x less effort and time than if I actually went to college. Your bullshit rules and "b-but you need a degree!" dont apply to me because I dont fit in your little box.
>>
File: 1455481038629.jpg (33 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1455481038629.jpg
33 KB, 360x360
>>1111337

Everything you said is unfortunately true. America's economic inequality gap is going to get enormous until we are like Brazil where they REALLY have a 1% and 99% compared to the current situation here where "poverty" is relative to a 3 star hotel in an African country 2bh.

I haven't even touched on the devastating effects of our special snowflake public education system. Every high school graduation class can easily name off around ~50 people who spent $50k a semester to major in Haitian Art History at New York Univsersity, only to realize that this whole "follow your passion" rhetoric is lies to get you to buy into student loans, and you just spent half a million dollars getting a degree whose only intrinsic value lies within teaching it to other idiots.

Thank god I had the sense to double major in Finance and a foreign language. Every business on the planet has a finance department. Every business also wants to say its a part of the growing global economy, so having a Finance degree and being able to help the company communicate across linguistic barriers is a home run these days.
>>
>>1111355
>Just do a trade bro it pays $35/hr as an apprentice
More like 12$ and if it union then it will jump to 16-18$ an hour but they will own your ass and work in shitty hours. Most tradesmen make less than 50k a year by midcareer. While the kid with a college degree in some liberal arts major will make over 70k by the time he's 30. College is rough and in some case hard but drag your balls through the mud and get the degree. You'll be surprised how many B2B sales job will open up. Heck you'll be in contention for government jobs, especially the foreign service. Going to college is the best choice you'll make regardless of your major. Real world engineers envy those with non-technical degrees because they get paid well with less hours than an engineer. While everyone envy engineers after college for their pay. Doctors don't make a profit after the age of 40. By then they have kids and a mortgage. Stressful job but enjoyable.
>>
>>1111365
Those art degree holder end up in sales, marketing, logistics, communications, and PR. They end up making the same as finance degree kids. The income and major ranking is horrible because this implies everyone work in the industry that gave them a degree. They work in other industries and make more money than what's reported for majors. But the income inequality is too real but fuck I want to make a lot of money. I know janitor jobs that unionized are pretty cush job because their health benefits are pretty great. If you're in the US then you need to learn Spanish because a lot of companies want to do business in Latin America. They're trying to move a lot of their manufacturing down south. It freaky cheaper than China. Plus the Latin American economies have grown to Asian Tiger status.
>>
>>1111364
>I dont agree with you that its a good investment. Its only a good investment if you are slow and require shit to be fed to you. Normal people with cognitive skills should be able to get the same information by picking up a couple fucking books

Are you dumb?

It's not about the information you moron. It's about Networking + Structured learning(necessary for 99% of people) AND getting a degree which as stupid as it is, is a bare minimum requirement for most areas.

>t took me 1000x less effort and time than if I actually went to college. Your bullshit rules and "b-but you need a degree!" dont apply to me because I dont fit in your little box.

Again, you have horrible reading comprehension. I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm saying it would make your life easier.

With a degree you would've likely found everything much easier to do, doesn't mean you can't succeed without one tho.
>>
I know a guy who got a 120k job because he knew someone with no college. So how did working hard and going to school help him?
>>
>>1111401
luck
>>
If you make 100k a year, liv3 in a 60k condo, and invest a shitload, you can easilly make 1m dollars.
>>
>>1111394
Structured learning in necessary for 99% of people? You might want to see a proctologist about facts flying out of your ass. Also, you don't need college to network.

To address your post, college would not have made my life easier. Thats the point I'm trying to make if you just payed attention to what I was saying. You should take heed to your own little "horrible reading comprehension" quip. I understand why youre pissed. You spent an enormous amount of money and time on college and you dont think its fair that rockstars like me dont play by the rules and earn success easier. Eaaaasier. No late night studying into the wee hours of the morning. No having to wait until my mid 20s to get a career on track and get my shit together. No having to sweat through a terrible lecture and bear through listening to a professor with a Napoleon complex. No huge student loans to pay back. Did I miss anything? My little pinky is more resourceful than you. Indoctrination and sheep mentality is a disease that is plagueing our world and your solution is to create more robots? Nigga please.
>>
>>1111457
Yeah I'm really mad some NEET is lying on 4chan.

Why do I even come to this shit board anymore?
>>
>>1111328
Yeah, well, MBAs...
>>
>>1111457
>>1111541
Just incase you didn't catch my posts.

I am enjoying every day of college, have no debt and have a good career outlook(networking and internships). I am not mad at all and do not find it a waste of time or money for me.
>>
>>1111541
>implying
I am better than you in all ways
>>
>>1111355
>>1111337

Lol this,

I never understand the intuition behind the whole "going into trades is great meme".

I live in Georgia and every plumber, electrician, i've met are white trash rednecks who can barely speak English. I guess they're doing better than an uneducated black person but not by much.
>>
>>1110664
Lmfao. I'm in sales with no degree making $12/hr + commission. I know that's notna fortune, but my buddy drives a forklift for $19/hr and he doesn't have a degree either.
>>
>>1111687
>I live in Georgia
There's where you went wrong. Not sure what it has to do with black peoplr. I make $27 during the week $35 on weekends building sick custom homes. What do you do?
>>
>>1111741
That being said i hated union trades. Dont go into trades just for the money. You have to really enjoy building things to be successful
>>
Almost done with my degree. Last year I got into an internship that paid 15/hr without a resume, simply by talking to someone at a conference in my planned field (prosthetics).

My question is, once I'm done with my bachelor's, would it be a good idea to wait until grad school for my masters?
>>
>>1110282
>Inherited a fortune
>Bankrupt 4 times
>Most of his "value" is in a nebulously defined and never-priced "brand" that he developed on reality television, not in real estate
If The Donald is any indication the secret to getting rich is to combine being a catastrophic failure at everything that you do and a douchebag personality in order to land a gig on a reality television show and then pretend your "brand" is worth money you don't have and therefore you are "rich".
>>
>>1111750
Ayo what country and company where you working for in prostheics. Btw the whole industry internationally is word of mouth so network and suck major ass. What company did you intern with and what did they teach you there
>>
>>1111122
ingenuity*
>>
>>1111937
He didn't go bankrupt. His company did.

"HE" is worth billions of dollars.
>>
>>1111948
It was a start up. They make adjustable AK sockets. I was taught some prosthetics tech skills and I mostly got practice with sanding machines and tools. Worked with a lot of carbon fiber and other materials.

Yeah it's word of mouth. I recently shadowed this cpo who had his own clinic. He said he was thinking of hiring techs on, but I wasn't sure when I'd be available to get him to train me or if he'd even have the time to, so I pussed out a bit. I plan on contacting him this summer or before. He said he made nearly 1 mil this first year.... Before audits of course :^)

(Holy shit I'm scared I'm going to end up as a salesman for hanger)

You in the field? Looking to?
>>
>>1111948
Pls respond, I know this was 2 hours ago but you're the first person on 4chan who knows a piece about O&P.
>>
>>1112037
Tech skills is something that is very hard to come by, so if someone is offering to train you take them up on it. It looks pretty good on a resume if you can make and lay up ptb and ptk sockets. What country you in? Experience with orthotics is pretty easy. Just arch supports and afos really. Everyonein the industry knows that stuff. Getting clinical experience is essential if being just a prosthetist. But having the tech skills and being able to do both is good. It is so hard to come by the tech skills so if someone is willing to teach you them. Especially if they use ottobock products maybe take them up. Ottobock also run and academy for courses on shit like that so look into that
>>
>>1112099
Let me know what country you are in. Getting skills and becoming a prosthetic all rounder so to say is. You are doing well of you have experience with ak sockets. Genium c leg and electronic knees is good experience. If you know how to align the pyramid on the socket is even better. Bear in mind the most money in prostheics is from compenisable insurance cases so you generally get exposure to the good shit if the company works on more insurance cases. Ask me anything and I will see if I can help you out
>>
>>1112104
Tech with some clinical experience btw
>>
>>1112034
I will drop as much knowledge because I want to help a bro out and just incase I end up not replying or something. Going for a bigger company or working at a hospital is good because time isn't money so much and everyone is less obsessed with money so there are people who Actaully have the time to teach you. Where as if it's in a small join say with only a few people. Your co workers may end up a bit occupied with some of the harder shit they end up doing to ever teach you some of the more advanced stuff. Network network and network. Go to ispo conferences and suck up. Suck up to everyone cause everyone knows each other literally world wide. Don't breath in plaster dust and put barrier cream on and where gloves
>>
>>1112125
What does one study to get into that field? Over here we have a degree called "biomedical technology", is that it? Total outsider here just wondering.
>>
>>1112127
Prostheics and orthotics is usually the degree you have to study to become a clinical prostheists. Technicians make the legs and shit while prostheists fit them to patients. Biomed is more tech company based and stuff I think
>>
>>1110594
Would you say majoring in economics is a viable choice?

Im thinking about switching majors to economics
>>
>>1112099
Thanks for the info.
I'm in the U.S., California to be exact. Been to a couple COPAs so far, volunteered at a Shriners where they taught me a little tech skills with the plaster stage and up to pulling plastic. That was when I stopped coming, job/school complications.

I can fit in time now, but I'm taking 5 classes, so I could only go maybe 2 hours a few times a week at the end of the day when they're slow and hard to find. I hate standing around without anything to do/no instruction. I've got quite a few connections so far, there's a few clinics in my area along with hanger and Pac med, of whom I know the owner(shadowed him too, saw him at a conference. First guy I talked to about this).

I'm afraid of commuting to a master's because of what I've read on sdn ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/whats-the-deal-with-the-prosthetist-orthotist-programs-profession.640914/) and what older cpo s tell me about audits and stuff.

I am motivated to keep going, but hearing this stuff worries me.my dad is a BKa
>>
>>1111122
>>landed a $20 paid internship at top engineering firm off of charisma and wits alone
that's funny because engineering internships are flooded with applicants that are in their 3rd or even 4th year of study since many people take 4.5 to 5 years to finish an engineering bachelors. these applicants have the bulk of the coursework completed and typically had prior internship(s) and/or are in engineering societies that give them hands on experience (SAE/AIAA.)

yet, somehow, they gave the internship to a 18 year old with no skills and paid you at the higher range at that, too.
>>
>>1112099
My email is linked on here.
>>
>>1110916
Easy to get money with few people and few restrictions, and when opportunities are higher (I.e in the past)
>>
>>1112125
The guy I brought up who started his own clinic taught tons of people in Vietnam and Africa, and he's trying to get some patents approved.
>>
>>1112469
For an AFO. Also, he's the first guy I've seen pull plaster as quick as he did by himself. I was amazed.
>>
>>1112443
>implying it was an engineering internship
It just happened to be an engineering company. The internship I landed was in finance. The company was about to have their IPO so they were restructuring their finance department. I was the ONLY intern there because they weren't actively recruiting. Tell me more, however, seeing as you know all there is to know about intern positions. I'm fascinated.
>>
>>1111937
Kore wa baito desu.jpg

He hasn't read Art of the deal

LaughingGirls.gif
>>
>>1112483
i don't have to tell you shit since someone allegedly earning 300k/year wouldn't be looking for validation on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>1112574
I was being facetious when I told you to tell me more. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. I would rather you don't because incredulity is a trait that isnt fostered enough by younger generations. You are so quick to yell out "fake" when watching a questionable youtube video but don't have the critical thinking to question the educational system and why it can put you in mounds of debt for your whole young adult life when you could be learning marketable traits on your own time. You know how I got the internship? Knowledge of access, excel, Sql and databases. I told them that I could analyze their revenue and help then set better thresholds for revenue recognition. Tell me again about how I need a formal education though. I'm still fascinated.
>>
>>1112610
Why would a company hire someone who acquired these said set of skills on his/her own time without any credibility? I genuinely am curious, it sounds interesting.
>>
>>1112614
They gave me a shot because it was a 3 month internship and if it didn't work out they could just let me go. Internships are a virtually risk-free way of companies getting cheap labor and possibly recruiting new talent. What you do within that timeframe is up to you. The good thing about not having a set position within the company is they were able to plug me in wherever they saw a specific need. I eventually became indispinsable so they made me a global administrator for their financial reporting software until 3 years later when I decided to move on and passed off the role to one of their employees. By that time I upgraded my resume from intern to consultant.
>>
>>1112614
It's all about being confident in your abilities. It's fairly easy to know if someone is bullshitting by talking to them for an hour about any givrn subject. You need to be able to use cetain methods to gain trust in a short period of time.
>admit the limitations of your knowledge
>use the word "passion" at least twice during the conversation
>speak clearly and loudly
>look into eyes and demonstrate other non-autistic body language
>smile
>do not be fazed at the inevitable point when the interviewer tries to faze you. If you dont know the answer, immediately say so and that you are easy to teach and listen

A lot of job seekers think a company wants someone with a set of skills who will go straight to work for them. An interviewee who has general knowledge and is easy to teach the company-specific procedures is much more valuable.
>>
>>1112657
Solid advice. You would be amazed at how many people don't know this even though it is basic, common sense. Smiling and being personable is the most important thing you can do in an interview. If you can't pull it off and come off as worried, uptight, depressed or upset for any reason your qualifications won't even matter. There are small exceptions like really technical IT positions but even then the person hiring you wants to know you can at least somewhat play nice with other people.
>>
>>1112657
>decent advice
>on /biz/

w-what

I'll have to stress your point that being "easy to teach" is essential. It really is. I've stressed this twice over in my interviews and they picked up on it. They liked it. I've given them examples of myself being teachable in previous applications and then they liked me even more.

I'm screencapping your post for the NEETs on this board.
>>
>>1110054

I studied hard, got into a good school, and worked hard and ended up in the gutter (not literally). Clearly I fucked up somewhere along the way, but I did everything I was told to do and have nothing to show for it.
>>
>>1112812
>not picking degrees and colleges based on the internships they offer
>>
>>1112812
Then you are a retard.

This has not been the case for anyone I know or have heard of.
In fact even lazy fucks with shit GPAs at bad schools I know are decent job-wise. - they majored in stem ofc tho
>>
>>1112840

You must live in a bubble. It's true of millions of people.
>>
>>1112900
No its not
>>
>>1111050
I'm in HVAC, but i'm in the UK so wages aren't that high unless you want to deal with some of the more dangerous gases or be a 24/7 refrigeration and chiller service engineer.

AC is reliable but it's not where the big money is as there are loads of competing companies and one man bands who will work at cost +10% just to get the work and their name out there.
>>
>>1111457
>rockstars like me
The keks don't stop
>>
>>1110775
Ah, you are retarded. Thanks for the heads up
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-29-13-42-43.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-29-13-42-43.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>1110709
Car salesman. Eat shit faggot I make my own wages
>>
>>1112403
Sure. Just be sure to get as much experience as you can before you graduate.
>>
>>1114021
Your life is the essence of desperation.
>>
>>1112812
>Doing what you're told.
Observe learn execute repeat. Make your own rule book and decide for yourself.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-29-13-30-30.png (3 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-29-13-30-30.png
3 MB, 1440x2560
>>1114027
Sales is fun and controlling customers feels really good. I dont look too desperate when i tell you to sit down and you do what I say.

As before, eat shit faggot.
>>
>>1111147
"[...] and you too can become rich if you study hard, get into a good school, and work hard."

what is reading?

>>1112812
this is because you're bad, if you're good you'll make it, if you're shit and at the bottom you'll always be shit and at the bottom
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.