[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the absolute worst degrees in terms of wage slavery?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 3
File: truth.jpg (41 KB, 480x459) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
41 KB, 480x459
What are the absolute worst degrees in terms of wage slavery?

My vote goes for engineering. You don't learn any skills that can be used in the real world outside of engineering, and you get the average wage slave life.

Is there anything worse? I know people might say accounting or something similar, but at least they learn skills that would be useful if they decided to start a business.
>>
You piss and shit after getting dressed?
>>
literally any degree, the only way to get out of wage slavery is to have your own business, which doesn't require a degree
>>
>>1107885
You know I'm only 20 and I don't feel I know enough to really answer this question, but if I had to vote I'd put my vote to Law enforcement (Yeah, like, going to college to be a cop).

Also, Bukowski literally changed my life so kudos
>>
Masters in Social Work. Who would go to school for 5-6 years just to be qualified to get emotionally abused by tweakers, prostitutes and heroin addicts for minimum wage.
>>
I studied a degree in IT. Before I graduated I got a job with a decent company, after a couple years I got poached by an even bigger company, now I'm on a contract with them working for home making decent cash writing code (really I spend most of the time browsing 4chan etc)

No one ever acknowledged my degree, it was all a ruse by my school, peers and parents to follow the normie path. Work experience is the only thing that got me here.

Good thing I just got girls in my class to do the boring assignments for me while I wrote their code assignments.

>that uni debt though
>>
>>1107926
This is it. My brother is in that exact situation and I fear for him.

He entered that field with a bleeding heart and best intentions . . . only to beaten down by the sheer amount of shit he has to deal with on a daily basis.
>>
>>1107914
What Bukowski would you recommend? never read anything by him before
>>
>>1107926
my sister who i don't get along with is going to school for a social work masters. A privileged white ivory tower liberal who has no idea what she is really getting into. I cant wait to see it fall apart.
>>
>>1107890
Tell us NEET about your flourishing business that you magically made
>>
>>1107885
>My vote goes for engineering. You don't learn any skills that can be used in the real world outside of engineering, and you get the average wage slave life.

is this an attempt at trolling - Engineering degrees offer some of the best paid careers going

they can easily be applied outside engineering too, plenty of other careers require people with a quantitative & technical skill set - finance, data science etc..

If you're an EE post grad with experience in signal processing then you're as desirable as stats and machine learning guys for various quant hedge funds and prop firms
>>
>>1107885
med school. four year bachelors with very high grades, months spent studying for the MCAT, volunteering and shadowing to pad your resume, paying for applications and interviews out of your own pocket, then taking out $50-80k a year in loans for four years. the first two years are spent studying, the last two you study and do rotations where you literally pay to work. after all this and a few licensing exams you get your MD bio
degree but you can't legally practice without at least an internship but for all intents and purposes you need a full residency to practice... which is another 2-7 years of 70-80+ hour weeks on salary plus 1-2 years of fellowship if you want to subspecialize.

this is all 100% true. i dropped out of med school after one semester, partly because i hated memorizing hundreds of powerpoint slides a day and partly because I didn't want to be a literal slave for another 6.5+ years.
>>
>>1107959
Dude you have to read South of no North. it's a bunch of short stories, really short. But they give you the flavor of his style so well. Ham on Rye is also pretty good, but it's basically an autobiography sort of like Kerouacs 'On the Road' in the way he just changes peoples names and shit.

If you're into gritty, honest, misogynistic stuff Bukowski is your man
>>
>>1107980
>>1107946
usually those types don't do well in social work either. My dad got into it and he didn't take shit from the druggies so he actually had a high rate of getting people back on track. from there he had another company pay for his masters and his salary doubled and then another company a few years later saw his work there and to make a long story short he's making about 70k a year. It's important work if it's done by someone that can actually turn riff raff into productive members of society.
>>
>>1108021
if you went into med school for the money what else did you expect but to crash and burn?
>>
>>1108138
Good post, I respect your dad.

Didn't come from a good background and I'm not sure where I'd be without people like him to help
>>
>>1107885

>not waking up two hours before work so you have time to relax and take care of any shit before you go to work
>>
Anything in medicine

You're cucked out of freetime and peace
>>
>>1108021

I'm about to matriculate to med school.

What's the alternative then anon? You're gonna be a wageslave regardless. Might as well be a well compensated wageslave doing something decent for humanity.
>>
>>1107984
The thread is about being a wage slave. Saying that engineers get good paying jobs does nothing to negate the claim that they are wage slaves. It only strengthens it
>>
>>1108042
Except for Pulp, all of his novels are autobiographical. By the way I reallly wonder how he changed your life
>>
>>1107885
Engineers are some of the most adaptable workers you can find. No company producing anything technical is going to get anywhere without Engineers. Most Project Managers come from an Engineering background as well. Definitely more useful than an accounting degree or most other degrees I can think of.
>>
>>1108491
i didn't go into it solely for the money. i went into it because i really liked learning about science and because the idea of helping people and getting paid well to do it was really attractive.

well, it turns out that "learning science" in med school isn't really learning science. it's memorizing autistic minutiae by reading literally hundreds of powerpoint slides and hundreds of pages of Board Review Series every single day. very little thinking or problem solving involved, just brute fucking force memorization that made me want to kill myself.

>>1108507
>decent for humanity
yeah, that shit only goes so far. that "something decent for humanity" isn't until you're in residency, and in the meantime you're taking out a shit ton of loans to spend 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week memorizing shit like a mindless fucking robot.

ive accepted my role in life as a wageslave. im enrolling in a masters in accounting degree in august 2016. reasonably good pay, utter wageslavery, but the pace and lifestyle are much more relaxed when compared to medicine. and plus there is some problem solving, professional judgement, and critical thinking involved in learning accounting and practicing as an auditor or tax accounting, especially at the higher levels of the profession.
>>
So the career that is solely about building and designing everything in society has no outside use? Having the ability to repair and build pretty much anything is useless? Fuck OP you are a dense motherfucker. Half the shit in my house is built by my own two hands and you're a retard if you think engineering has no real world use.
>>
File: magix.jpg (56 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
magix.jpg
56 KB, 720x479
>>1107982
I'm sure he pulled the principle out of his ass, and magicked credit from midair.
>>
I was pretty pissed as a paramedic.
>>
>>1108751
I wouldn't want my ambulance being driven by a drunk driver
>>
who /super bronze/ here
>>
>>1108755
Haha that's the least of your concern.

I went deep down the rabbit hole of burnout. That point where there is no compassion for humanity is scary.
>>
>>1107980

Are you my brother
>>
>>1107926

Between this and teaching. Taking on student debt and sacrificing 4-6 years of your life for a min wage customer service job with the most ungracious, entitled little shits there are.

My cousin was one of those spoiled white girls. Her folks literally did not allow her to watch the news so she wouldn't see the bad things in the world, even in her early 20s. Now she works in an inner city school full of negroes. She gained weight and looks stressed. She was crying that they pulled the fire alarm as a joke. Like shit bitch, just wait till they start dancing on desks and shanking each other, or dealing out of their backpacks.

>>1107980
>A privileged white ivory tower liberal who has no idea what she is really getting into. I cant wait to see it fall apart.

Delicious.
>>
>>1108709

>Wageslaves are adaptable wageslaves
>>
>>1107980
She'll marry into royalty and never work a day in her life. Meanwhile, your rage and self destructive behaviors will intensify as you cry out, 'Why God?!! Why me?"
>>
>>1108592
True, but ihavent read all his novels so I wouldnt really know for sure.

He changed my outlook on life and how I interact with people. He killed the part of me that is surprised when women act like whores.
>>
>>1108897
Wtf? Explain
>>
>>1107959
>>1108042
>>1108592
>>1109125
daily reminder bukowski beat his wife and was an alcoholic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8KJiay6EI0
>>
>>1107885
Average wage slave life? My old mans an EE in the defense industry and he's been getting 5% raises tearly since I was in diapers. When he retires he can contract back out to them for an instant 50% raise

So yeh I guess he works a 9 to 5 but try getting 5% a year raises and a pension elsewhere
>>
>>1109145
How does that make his work worse? Oh it doesnt? Well why bring it up?

Hell the subject matter is womanizing and drinking for a large part. If he wasnt a wife beating drunk id be surprised.
>>
its a fucking process

just like an .exe file you run
>>
>>1107926
>>1107946
My Dad was a roofer for 20 years. Married my Mom, quit roofing and started going to school. Graduated two years ago with a Masters in Social Work top of his class. Came in with an open mind and a good heart. He went back to roofing sadly. He couldn't take the day after day of the same bullcrap stories from bullcrap people
>MFW he just wanted to help people
>>
>>1107885

Engineering is for a very specific kind of people. Without sounding condescending, it's for autists. It's for people that like being left alone and just work on their stuff, for people having fun with abstract and tiny details. I could have become EE but quit since it really is the ultimate form of wageslavery. Hard deadlines, daily mental work on highest level at the highest speed possible, not enough room for even a single mistake (one of my profs got fired from Intel because he made one! mistake in some project - his appereance today is literally just fuck my shit up) and compared to the actual work output a mediocre pay. I've seen so many people fail. If you don't belong to the highly autistic class, stay away from engineering and don't fall for this meme. It will destroy every last ounce of willpower and energy within you.
>>
>>1109131
>Be me, mid 20's
>Expected big things - went to college and couldn't get a 'real job' when I graduated in the middle of the recession.
>I worked full time as an EMT through college to pay my bills. Fuck it, I'll be a medic.
>2 years of schooling, thousands of hours of 'clinicals' which was just volunteering, $7k student loan, and an Associate's degree later, I did it.

I pushed a few drugs and felt cool, but that only lasted a few months.

I stayed on at a private service in a big city. That was my main mistake.
>>
>>1109239
Not every engineering is like that, especially things like civil. If you work for consultants your dealing with construction contractors, government, sub contractors and clients quite a bit. Land development industry is somewhat unique though. It's all about where you want to work.
>>
>>1109245
I'm tired of green text.

Private services are shit. You're basically a mover of the elderly in nursing homes that have to go to dialysis 3x a week, doc appts, you name it.

In a 12 hour shift, you'll knock out at least 15 runs with colleagues at the bottom of the barrel making $10/hr.

As a medic, you get a whopping $16/hr, but you're responsible for these fools. You're the king of the retards.

Further, you get to do the shitty shit. Ventilator runs, hospital to hospital emergencies - all that stress and extra disease. You're the only one in the back of the truck, and you call the shots on scene.

>oh shit.
>>
if u dont go to a good college, dont even bother to get a degree, u will end up wage slaving anyways, if ur a smart ass, u will already be in one, so good job to you, but i think what >>1108021 said must be the worst if u dont graduate at a (very) good college to get somewhere with that.

but

if u want to start a bussiness, why are you studying?
>>
>>1109261
Then it hits you.

>Lights and sirens - you're at fault if you get in an accident.

>You don't wear a seat belt in the back. One hit and you're dead.

>See deadly diseases out the wazoo

>You're the only one treating one, two, maybe a whole bus full of people.

>Death and people getting bad breaks gets to you.

>The 'urban people' turn you racist.

>Lifting fat asses all day and up and down stairs.

>Nurses have the same edu, but make twice what you do and just do what a doctor says.

All for $16/hr? Fuck that.

Cont?
>>
>>1109253

Ah yes, there are ofcourse small niches where you don't do actual engineering work. But these wouldn't require the degree to begin with. I guess there are no problems with engineering itself, but the surrounding shilling of it is nauseating. You shouldn't get as many people as possible into this field, nor should you say it's the only worthwhile one. You have certain small periods of booms where they hire like crazy but when it's over, it's over. Take the civil engineering outcry in Germany around 2009. A billion people flooded this and now it's one of the least employable academic fields. A friend studied this at our nations best university. He works as a personal trainer now.
>>
>>1109269
Please do. I can't believe paramedics make so little money in US. In Ontario its like 60k-90k, wtf... friend just switched to being a paramedic after developing softwre for a hospital lol.
>>
>>1109270
I mean, there's still engineering work but there's also lots of (civil) who do more inspection and management side. And yes, civil is very boom bust dependent. I'm not necessarily encouraging everyone to go in, just know that there are niches where you can be more on the people side. Technical Sales is also well payed and an engineering degree ilcan be very beneficial.
>>
>>1109272
I'd love to work in Auz. They get to make house calls, write prescriptions, and make bank.
>>
>>1109269
So at this point, only a few months in, it hits you.

>You dun fucked up, this job is shit

As educated and more qualified as a nurse, but with more responsibility, ya do hard labor, and have more accountability, but get half the pay.

Then there is the lack of advancement. If I played my cards right, I could be a supervisor and make $17/hr.

Fuckin' fuck fuck.

You despise the company. For a vent transfer, they'll bill $1,200. You get $16/hr and can knock it out in 45 minutes. You breath in MRSA and pray the battery doesn't die and the patient tolerates your settings.

Full arrest? $1,500. You get $16 and nightmares on top of the risks of flying through town without a seat belt, or pushing the wrong drug and losing all your assets.

Then the patients and nurses get to you. You see 15 a day, it adds up. Your back is killing and nurses are lazy bitches. I despise nurses.
>>
>>1109316
Your 'give a fuck' got up and went.

Every patient is a little bitch. You start joking with your partners, and get in a mindset where it's the patients' fault - albeit sometimes that's the case.

Drunk on the stretcher tries to bite you? Oops, the stretcher somehow fell.

Dude is afraid of needles? Now he needs 2 of the biggest IVs - the size of goddamn drinking straws. Even the nurses eyes popped when they saw that.

Yelling at patients while intubating them.

Have to take a transfer to another hospital because she got in a wreck, didn't wear her seatbelt, and needs a higher level of car? Strap her down and talk shit the entire way about if she wore them she wouldn't need them now.

Kinds ask if granny will be OK on Christmas while you're breaking her ribs doing CPR and she's blue? Stare them in the eyes with a stone cold look and say, 'I hope you saved your receipts'.
>>
>>1109304
>car
Care
>Kinds
Kids
>>
>>1109325
So, being a paramedic basically turns you into a psychopath?
>>
>>1109145
That's what makes his shit real, all his stories are drawn from reality- unlike a lot of authors who write on gritty subjects.
>>
>>1109325
Damn, man
>>
>>1109325
Whew, almost went that route.

Thank god I was friend's with a rich kid who got me a sweet gig.
>>
File: 1438090772320.png (465 KB, 680x762) Image search: [Google]
1438090772320.png
465 KB, 680x762
>>1109239
This is kind of true. I am loner by nature and now doing mechanical at graduate level. No rocket science but some very grueling exams and amount of high tech information you need to know to a ridiculous detail can be annoying. But I think it only applies for Mech/Elec/Aero/Comp since civil is pleb and bio/chem/etc. is bullshit.

If you don't like at leat something like systems, analyzing, figuring out how things work and details of things, I think engineering is not suited for you.

Source: production + simulation technology with some management, britty gud future imo
>>
>>1109325
I'd say working in any health profession - especially those underpaid or under appreciated - does this to you to some degree. I secretly hope all of mine overdose on their meds because most of them act like sub human garbage in our store - the "customer is always right" mentality is very strong in pharmacy and has completely unhinged the profession.

Maybe 1/10 people will behave in an acceptable manner and the rest will be rude, in a rush, complain about price, generics, if they want a medicine but taking it would kill them and you say no somehow you are the bad guy, if they specifically ask for something and you do it then they change their mind again - because I can't mindread this is our fault. The list is endless. I do not recommend the profession to anyone.
>>
>>1109145
no shit bro
>>
>>1109452
Amen. My biggest takeaway was how true the old quote is - patient heal thyself.
>>
>>1107980
Are you supposed to be the textbook example of ressentiment?
>>
>>1107926
Neighbor got Masters in SW. She spent her days trying to explain to trailer trash why you shouldn't have sex with your sibling.

wore her down, got in the Educational Psych
>>
>>1108713
>pretty much anything.

Repair my soul.
>>
>>1107984

How would a signal processing dude make the jump to those companies? Would he require a Ph.D or a Master's (plus some experience) would be enough?
>>
>>1108714
>>1107982
what?
>>
>>1107885

Business.

the business degree is dead IMO.
>>
>>1109617
This this this.

Except at the very top, ivy-league level, business cirriculum is designed to create obedient administrators for the owners. The cirriculum is designed so you learn to process complex information without thinking critically about it or ever really understanding it. They're just training a different kind of assembly line worker.
>>
>>1107890
I know that you are thinking of a majority of degrees, but there are plenty of degrees that allow you to get certifications to make your own business.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Dentistry, Plasma Donation, Health specializations, pharmacist, physical therapy, masseur, Health Clinic.

If my job wasn't so good I wouldn't have minded having the certification to own plasma donation center. Pay the poor fucks in my community for their blood, and make some fat dole under-paying my plasma extractors and selling tons of plasma.
>>
>>1107885
As an engineer you can start your own company. that's what matters. Therefore I vote engineering as the best degree, all sciences as the worst. Even a humanities degree can pave the way to a better hustle than a Biology degree.
>>
>>1110825
Where does one go to learn how to become the big dog, instead of a cog? Besides ivy league schools, I can't afford that.
>>
>>1108515
An Engeniereer graduate usually learns economics, programming and advanced maths and physics. This allows engineers to be desirable in any field. Also you can start a tech company or be a freelancer as an engineer. Nursery,Med school,sociology or any humanities major will have higher chances to be a wageslave than an engineer
>>
>>1112196
Some things can't be taught.
>>
>>1109304
They don't make as much bank as you think. Paramedics that have been in the job for years with various qualifications rarely make more than 90k
>>
>>1108021
This guy knows whats up.
Final year med fag here.
>>
>>1108897

I feel so bad for anyone who's ever been unconscious in an ambulance. Just be glad your not awake for the fuckery those emt's do to your dignity and jiggly bits.
>>
When was the moment that you came to understand that people on this board don't understand terms even as basic as wage-slavery?

>Wage-slavery: a condition in which the worker has no stake in the means of production.
>"What are the absolute worst degrees in terms of wage slavery?"
>People spout off with ENGINEERING, MEDICINE etc
>These are fields in which it is a normal part of the professional cycle to buy in as a partner in a firm or start one's own firm or private practice solo or as a partner
>One is quite literally expected to transition to being owner of the means of production
>This doesn't even take into account stock options on the table before this point

It's like words don't even fucking mean anything.
>>
>>1108021
My step-sister is just about to start her residency in June up in New York. I feel sorry for her because she has top go through so much bullshit with just getting there. I mean good on her for making it and all and that she's doing it because she wants to help people, but holy shit man.
>>
what the fuck is this thread

medicine and engineering wage slavers?

who the hell is not an wage slaver then? only people that own their own business?
>>
>>1113230

Only people who own a stake in the means of production. Technically owning stock in the company you work for makes you not a wage-slave.
>>
>>1113147
this
>>
>>1108710
What was your undergrad in senpai?
>>
>>1113439
bachelors in applied math, one course short of a minor in chemistry.
>>
>>1107885
Chemistry
>>
>>1109145
But did she ruin the damn roast?
>>
>>1113147
>When was the moment that you came to understand that people on this board don't understand
>>
>>1108710
>ve accepted my role in life as a wageslave. im enrolling in a masters in accounting degree in august 2016. reasonably good pay, utter wageslavery, but the pace and lifestyle are much more relaxed when compared to medicine. and plus there is some problem solving, professional judgement, and critical thinking involved in learning accounting and practicing as an auditor or tax accounting, especially at the higher levels of the profession.

Be careful with an accounting degree. You see tales of going to big 4, earning 6 figures "just" by showing up for 5 years and working 60-70k hours, but it's not true. It's more like 70-80k tops unless you really make the most out of it.
>>
>>1113251
Owning stocks also means owning the risk too.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.