[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is college GPA in the real world? How important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: most lucrative majors.png (47 KB, 623x931) Image search: [Google]
most lucrative majors.png
47 KB, 623x931
How important is college GPA in the real world?

How important is your GPA if you have a non-meme major?
>>
what the fuck is a meme major
the majors at the top of that list?
yes GPA fucking matters

my colleagues were fucking astounded when they found out where I got a job

yeah it's because i worked hard and got good grades (and interned a lot)
>>
Pretty important I think.

Internships are by far the most important thing and considering most of them, if not at least the best ones only look for good GPAs as a bare minimum with needs of exceeding it to be competitive it's pretty important.
>>
>>1107704
C's get degrees. If you've done your work right, >>1108342 has hit the nail on the head. If you have a 2.9 and a year long paid internship in your field, it's better than some Joe with a 4.0 and his thumb up his ass. Preferably, you'll have both, but if not, the experience with an ok GPA will go farther than a know-nothing with a high GPA.
>>
>>1107704
Only retarded aspies put GPA on their resume. Even if its high it makes you look like a scrub fresh out of college. Hell, I dont even put college on my resume anymore. I let my 10 years of experience rub the bulls tits for me.
>>
>>1108347
enjoy trying to find an internship with a 2.9 even from a reputable school

>>1108350
if you are a scrub fresh out of college there's no hiding it
>>
>>1108347
Actually you missed the point of my post lol.

Good GPA -> good internship(hell almost any besides dishwashing requires at least a 3.0...) -> good career prospects

Basically it's important for reasons that aren't "just tell everyone you got a good gpa" but rather the doors it opens up for much more important factors of career success.
>>
>>1107704

If your GPA is 3.0 or higher and you're not in teaching, no one really pays attention to your GPA outside of college (teachers programs are often the exception to this rule; I've heard more fighting about GPA amongst Teacher applicants than I have among Pre-med and Pre-law)

Most masters' programs take 3.0 undergrad (though this varies on the school), so it doesn't even really matter for getting into a higher education program.
>>
>>1108357
>enjoy trying to find an internship with a 2.9 even from a reputable school

Don't listen to this retard. I have a 2.7 and have 3 internships and two full-time offers a year before graduation.
Current Internship is $36 an hour.

First internship is hardest, of course. Definitely possible if you are a smart individual who knows how to play the interview game.
>>
GPA is worth very little relative to effort. You're better off spending the time and effort learning marketable skills instead.
>>
It matters for your first job. After that forget about it. I honestly don't remember exactly what mine even was and I haven't even been out of school that long.

We have a guy where I work who had a 4.0 and his boss is younger than him and he has been relegated to a paperwork bitch position.
>>
>>1108471
This is mostly true too.

I'm going to repost a guide I created on how I succeeded with interviews/internship despite low GPA. Should be very helpful for some of you guys.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringStudents/comments/3v0ayj/my_internship_interview_adviceguide_or_how_i/

As for getting the actual interview, apply your dick off. It's a numbers game a lot of the time. Also maximize the use of your school's career center.

>inb4 reddit
If it wasn't for reddit I likely wouldn't have the same success in my career, a ton of valuable advice for this stuff there. Learned much more there than this shit storm of a board.
>>
>>1108336
>found out where I got a job
>doesn't list job
>>
>>1108474
>using reddit
>>
>>1108474
>I likely wouldn't have the same success in my career, a ton of valuable advice for this stuff there
To be honest, THIS.
>>
>>1108474
What have you done when they asked for GPA during the interview?
>>
>>1108848
In my experience they don't bring it up after the first internship on your resume (nor do I have my GPA on my resume). I remember vaguely the times they asked about my GPA and I mentioned how I was doing better now and that I slipped up a bit in my first year. The best you can say in that situation is that you're improving now and on an upwards trend (you can even lie about this, they won't be checking the difference in GPA among the different college years).
>>
>>1108490
They were astounded he considered being neet a job.
>>
>>1108471
For example, got my first job because I put salesforce on my resume. Tons of companies and jobs use salesforce. You can get a free dev account and spend an <hour clicking through and understand 90% of salesforce.
>>
>>1108474
It really depends on the "board" or whatever they call them over there, and how circlejerky it is I guess. Other than that the runners and mods are still shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.