[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz! I am software developer and analyst for 8 years. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image_71.jpg (92 KB, 850x478) Image search: [Google]
image_71.jpg
92 KB, 850x478
Hey /biz!

I am software developer and analyst for 8 years. I decided to create a software that will act as programming assistant and publish it as open-source under GPL license. Since going to a global market is a great challenge, I am trying to decide how to make money of it. I'm trying to decide between donations or selling support. I am kinda against big corporate investment because I am afraid they could ruin my work. Do you have any kind of experience with this? If you do, feel free to share. Thank you in advance!
>>
>>1107344
I'm trying to imagine what's meant by "programming assistant." I worked with alot of developers who were totally helpless without a few dozen special tools.
>>
>>1107344
>>1107359

Friendly reminder that, if you never built a program using only a text editor, you're a millennial excuse for a programmer.

Also,

>programming assistant
>auto-publish to open source

Why are some people so intent on devaluing their own profession?
>>
>>1107359
>>1107392

I have few ideas how to improve programming experience. If we can make our life easier, then why not use it? No offense, but I didn't asked you for your judgement. I'm here to ask about monetization. If you don't like it, it's your problem.
>>
>>1107392

Sorry, but what is the alternative to a text editor? I don't know how you'd program without text.

I use vim btw, and just learning programming.
>>
>>1107426

>how do I monetize something meant to share code for free, help normies flood the development market and reduce the earnings of everyone involved

You don't.

>>1107430

I meant a plain text editor, i.e. no code highlighting, no error reporting, no framework, no open source, no community help, just you and a sheet of paper.
>>
>>1107454

You're saying you can't monetize from open-source? You must be stupid enough to say something like that or naturally retarded. Many open-source projects earned tons of cash thanks to enterprise licenses (mainly selling support to their customers).
>>
>>1107344

I forgot to answer to you OP. In terms of monetization, I would suggest you to go for selling support. That would be the only way if you really want to have return investment. Donation way is too risky. Either you will earn a lot or you will earn nothing at all. I never made something myself, but I participated into open-source communities. Pretty much enough to learn how open-source business works. Hope this helps!
>>
>>1107344

And yeah. One more thing. If you really want to ask serious questions, here's the advice: Avoid 4chan at all costs. Go to Reddit. There are lots of subreddits that can help you on your quest.
>>
>>1107467

I'm trying to dissuade him from shooting the entire profession in the foot. Not that there aren't a hundred open source bullets in there already.
>>
>>1107477
>Go to Reddit

That explains a lot desu.
>>
>>1107884
>muh robots takin muh jobs
replacing human work with computer work is always better in the long run
>>
File: Cuntfuckass.jpg (10 KB, 247x200) Image search: [Google]
Cuntfuckass.jpg
10 KB, 247x200
>>1107454
like notepad right
>>
>>1107897

It's better for society as a whole, not better for the guys charging big fees to do said manual work.

The more automated it gets, the more people can do it. The more people can do it, supply grows that much higher than demand. Prices drop all round.
>>
>>1107344
Link to the repo? Most GPL software like linux uses support as a profit model, like Red Hat Linux. If your tool is sufficiently complex and useful, you can sell your time consulting with companies on how best to use it. While still offering it for free.

However, considering your license is GPL, most companies won't touch it, because it's a copyleft license and very restricting. Just fair warning.
>>
>>1107454
>I meant a plain text editor, i.e. no code highlighting, no error reporting, no framework, no open source, no community help, just you and a sheet of paper.

what's the point ? you code with a specific goal in mind and use tools to hasten the progress. memorizing 10,000 methods doesn't make you a good developer.

>I wonder if any of you builders have built a house with just nails and a hammer! if not you're a sorry millennial excuse for a house builder!
>>
>>1108879

I use tools that are available now, obviously. The point is that experience with the "bare hands" approach, and procedural code, is very useful, and makes the difference between an experienced professional and a pampered 2016 IDE baby.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.