[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently was fired from a former fortune 500 company going down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: moshi moshi dooku desu.jpg (228 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
moshi moshi dooku desu.jpg
228 KB, 1600x901
Recently was fired from a former fortune 500 company going down the shitter quick. Nothing illegal, I was pretty much on my way out and was job hunting before this happened. Basically I made 1 mistake (nothing illegal, just against procedure) to help a customer out which snowballed because everything is being looked at under a microscope. Company recently laid off 200+ people and dissolved entire business segments.

I have a 50% chance of getting another job soon, but obviously not putting all my eggs in one basket so I've been tunneling out applications.

I have enough dosh to survive in the interim, can cut some expenses and already applied for unemployment. Might take a temp job in retail if the other job doesn't work out while I find something more secure.

Question is, how should I address me being fired during apps/interviews? Should I lie and say I'm still with my current employee since it only happened recently or should I fess up about it and be truthful? I've only had 2 jobs so far, and this was my 2nd (was with them about 5 years).
>>
>>1107200
just tell them you left and that you didn't feel the job was right for you, if they do a detailed background check your fucked though.
>>
>>1107381
Or tell them your former employer is going under and flailing randomly.
>>
>>1107387
I've heard it's not a good idea to bash former employer (even though that's literally what's happening)

>>1107381
Yea but saying I left already looks pretty sketchy imo.

Right now I've just been saying I'm looking for new opportunities and I'm still with them. Either that or I was affected by the cutbacks.
>>
>>1107200
What happened legally? Were you asked to resign or did you get dismissed, and if the latter, what reasons?
How long have you been in this company?
Is it public knowledge they are going under and have made massive cuts?
>>
>>1107433
>What happened legally? Were you asked to resign or did you get dismissed, and if the latter, what reasons?
Dismissed/Fired. They sited integrity issues, but like I said, it was more of disobeying procedure rather than illegal/harmful.

>How long have you been in this company?
5 years

>Is it public knowledge they are going under and have made massive cuts?
Yes, I wouldn't say they're "going under" but they've been making huge cuts to workforce for the past year. News has been covered by WSJ/BusinessWeek etc. And then just recently they recently made more cuts with dissolving entire business segments. They were looking to sell some segments mid last year but ultimately decided not to.
>>
>>1107439
Then probably not a good idea to outright lie, the odds are in your favour if you simply word it creatively, for example:
> I was let go because as you have probably heard, the company is facing difficulties and there is a lot of internal reorganisation, whole departments had to be let go

if they continue probing for details, you can reveal that your whole team was let go in the same manner and there was nothing you could do/not worth making a fuss about it in their current financial state, so you decided to just move on

Plus "integrity issues" is so vague and silly it sounds like they just used an opportune moment to make further cuts; it was just bad timing for you.
>>
>>1107439
Just say you got laid off because the company is downsizing. Even if they do follow up on it your former company isnt going to say you were fired. Too many legal ramifications for them if any previous employee of theirs decides to sue them for libel.
>>
>>1107439
Which company?

Also say you're still with them when you do interviews. They'll ask why you want to leave, then say you're just looking for a change in scenery.
>>
>>1107200
US steel?
>>
>>1107420
It's all in how you word it. But the employers who've fired me have had no problem telling lies, so why would I spare their feelings? If the interviewer is going to get butthurt about it, maybe they act the same way and you don't want to work for them.
>>
>>1107573
And I say this having been at both extremes.

Reputation goes both ways. I worked for a company that's known as a serial liar and had a boss known as a micromanager. Those bad actors don't get the reputation they deserve if people clam up because of social convention.
>>
>>1107450
This is the correct answer
>>
>>1108629
I agree with this Caucasian.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.