[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the "I'm smart but lazy" meme exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
File: selena-gomez-100715.jpg (175 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
selena-gomez-100715.jpg
175 KB, 620x413
Why does the "I'm smart but lazy" meme exist? I always hear everyone say it at my University. Might as well say you're skinny but fat as well.
>>
because college has convinced people that if you get good grades you're smart. and "understanding the material" in some people's minds means that they are smart. the fact they don't do the work and therefore do not get good grades, but do in fact "understand the material" gives them the impression that they are smart, but also lazy.

in reality nobody is smart.
>>
>>1106403
almost nobody.
>>
>>1106387
Smart people aren't lazy.
>>
>>1106387
people want to blame their failure on a lack of effort because it sounds better than a lack of ability.

"I could be a millionaire fucking models in my lambo. I'm just a fat virgin living with my parents because I'm not really trying."

reality will hit them eventually.
>>
Moderately but crucially, not sufficiently intelligent people need a story to stick to about why they're failures.
>>
>>1106387
I only know one person who I can say is smart but lazy and he's not even that lazy, he just makes a living with little effort.

Most people aren't even lazy, just stupid.
>>
>>1106387
Because IQ and personality *do* vary independently. In other words, smart-but-lazy people exist. Of course, it gives everyone the excuse that that is the case for them.
>>
Because people like to make excuses for their failures. Smart and lazy people actually do exist though.

Source: Lazy fuck with a 3.8 GPA in Chemical Engineering
>>
Being smart itself is a meme

May well just measure success, since that includes luck
>>
>>1106556
>Undercover nerds who say they don't study to fit in

Get over yourself, I'm in engineering and everyone who has high marks tries hard, or shows up to every class and pays attention... Neither are considered lazy
>>
>>1106561
i did my homework/labs and typically studied for a few hours the day before the exam and finished undergrad with a 3.9.

did the same thing for my grad courses and finished them with a 4.0 because i didn't need to take any shitty gen eds.
>>
>>1106561
Some people just understand concepts easier than others. I was also one of those people that really didn't have to study that hard. The only time I had to spend extra effort was when the course required large amounts of memorization. Smart people are sometimes lazy just because it requires less mental effort to come to the same conclusions that a dumb person takes forever to figure out (or never).
>>
>>1106575
Im not challenging whether this guy is smart or not, you can't be completely lazy, not show up to class and not study and still pass...

I don't show up to class but I out in the work during exam times, doesn't mean I'm just coasting through
>>
>>1106558
This, I don't care how smart you are. Wealth is all that matters in my eyes.
>>
>>1106583
Some people can coast though. I don't know why you don't believe this. There are people who easily retain knowledge and can pass classes with zero effort outside of doing the homework.
>>
> Might as well say you're skinny but fat as well

Being smart isn't the opposite of being lazy. Of course, you might say that a smart person would know the value of hard work. But there's a difference between having knowledge/having a high IQ, and actually putting to good use. Plenty of people waste their intelligence and are incredibly lazy. Meanwhile, there are some incredibly hard working, driven individuals who are not particularly intelligent.
>>
>>1106387
Practical uses of knowledge outweigh what your credentials can ever say.
>>
Smart and lazy aren't mutually exclusive like skinny and fat. You'd know that if you were smart.
>>
>>1107079
Actually I would also say it's not so much lazy as it is unmotivated. The workplace does that to smart people who aren't sociopaths though.
>>
>>1106561
>or shows up to every class and pays attention... Neither are considered lazy
>not showing up to something YOU PAID A FUCKTON OF MONEY FOR is lazy
no
just stupid
>>
>>1106387
It's bullshit. The "smart but lazy" bit comes from a Weimar Heer general named Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord. He said there were four classifications of officers, the smart and the lazy, the smart and the industrious, the stupid and lazy, and the stupid and industrious.

This grid breaks out as such;
The smart and the lazy are the finest generals. They do not trade in the minutiae of operations and as such can focus on the grand campaign.

The smart and the industrious are the finest staff officers. They notice details that others will not, and will enable the leaders to fight campaigns well.

The stupid and lazy make for good line officers. They can be trusted with simple tasks and made use of.

The stupid and industrious must be eliminated at all cost. They are only able to cause mischief and bring ruin to an army.

If you aren't in business, government service, or the military, then this doesn't apply to you. It sure as hell doesn't apply to students still in university.
>>
>>1106387
I am smart, but lazy.

I skipped out on school 3-4 days per week, but still did extremely well.

Did similar at university, and still did extremely well.

Was too lazy to get a real job, but ended up making millions due to my hobby in game dev.

Life is easy when you're this good at shit.
>>
>>1106387
I got a 2100 on my SAT's the first try in high school. I failed English class that same year for not doing any of the homework despite getting a 100 on the final.

Some people literally don't give a shit. I don't think I'm that intelligent, but I'm certainly lazy.
>>
>>1108365
So smart and lazy people should become business owners, like generals of a business? But like a proper business where you hire managers who are industrious and smart to actually keep things running.
>>
>>1108376
Correct. CEOs would direct business operations with high level overviews (like a general who determines campaign objectives.) Managers, the ones who actually do things, would be the smart and industrious (like a staff officer,) because they're sharp and get shit done. The stupid and lazy would be the grunts who do the work. And the stupid and industrious is Bob from the cube farm, who can never seem to get a report right.
>>
I always did well on tests and class until the last few years of high school, then I stopped doing homework, but still did well on tests and stuff. Then soon after that I stopped thinking I was "smart but lazy", now I'm just above average (though I might be wrong about that too) and lazy.

>>1108373
Literally me. Even failed English too.
>>
>>1106387

It's the pervasive excuse of the internet generation. 90% of "genius" is work, not brains. Einstein even said it himself. Einstein didn't even have one of the all time highest IQ's. But he was very smart and worked his ass off in physics.

It took me a while to realize that in this world brains actually don't mean that much. Showing up is 50% and putting in work with a good attitude is the other 50%.

Oh and starting your own business and not being some other man's bitch. That too.
>>
>>1106410
failing people who need excuses are
>>
>>1106387
Doing engineering
How much should I study (on top of going to uni everyday) to get a distinction average

(I'm asking cuz I saw a few engineers in here)
>>
>>1108658
The average engineering student should dedicate at LEAST 2-3 hours a day to homework, reviewing notes, and getting hands on experience. If you think you don't have anything to study, that means you need to study everything.

Of course I don't follow my own advice cause I'm a massive hypocrite but for most, that is the best course of action.
>>
File: mlfw10291_medium.jpg (47 KB, 640x446) Image search: [Google]
mlfw10291_medium.jpg
47 KB, 640x446
Hasty generalization.

Results matter.

Numbers don't lie.
>>
>>1108371
>fantasy: the post
>>
File: general buttnaked and his crew.jpg (1 MB, 2658x1419) Image search: [Google]
general buttnaked and his crew.jpg
1 MB, 2658x1419
>>1106387
It exists because it gives people an excuse for their short-comings.

However, it doesn't mean that smart people couldn't be lazy or that active people are inherently smarter than passive people.

Instead of turning that catchphrase into a prejudice-trigger, you should actively challenge these individuals.
>are you truly that smart?
>are you sure your laziness isn't a sign of depression or illness?
>>
>>1108771
>The average engineering student should dedicate at LEAST 2-3 hours a day to homework, reviewing notes, and getting hands on experience.
no one does that unless they're a massive retard. when i was a TA the only people that said they committed that much time were the ones that never understood the material.
>>
Smart people get distracted and bored more easily in general.
>>
How the fuck do people come the conclusion that smart and lazy are opposites? How the fuck is that comparable to skinny and fat at all?

They're not saying "I'm smart, but dumb."
They're not saying "I'm hard-working, but lazy."
They're two completely independent variables.

I'm not saying that all those people aren't full of bullshit, but to dismiss the phrase as some kind of oxymoron is just ridiculous.
>>
Intelligence and wisdom are two different stats for a reason.

Sure I can cast pyroblast. Do I have the wherewithal to not cast it indoors, maybe; maybe not.
>>
>>1108838
Lazy people aren't truly smart, because laziness is unproductive.
>>
>>1108825
Bullshit I go to a top engineering school and even the smartest people "who are lazy" spend atleast 15 hrs a week studying outside class.

The ones that study a lot study double that easily.

The only cases where people get good grades and barely put in any effort is if they've been exposed to the material before. Like introductory math, physics, engineering classes.
>>
>>1108825
Throughout school I put in around 2 study/homework hours for every hour in class. I graduated cum laude with a dual major. Speak for yourself, douche.
>>
>>1109077
Just like how professional athletes are unable to have drug addictions, because drugs are unhealthy and thus make you unathletic
>>
>>1106387
people who cruise by their studies with minimal effort, not doing unnecessary work, not having to study too much, while still having above average grades can probably stay that. lazy cunts who are failing because they don't do shit or don't make an effort to learn the material can't say that.
>>
>>1108825
Well what do you suggest I do if the answer is to not study 2-3 hours a day)

I'm starting next week so I have no previous GPA holding me back
>>
Smart people aren't lazy, smart people do things. No one has been able to refute this because it is impossible.
>>
File: 1455284246353.png (470 KB, 546x428) Image search: [Google]
1455284246353.png
470 KB, 546x428
>>1106387
those dumbfucks are saying that just because, they want to escape the shame. their lives are shitty and they just want to make an excuse for it... I know because Im one of those tards... but here im annonymus, fuck it and fuck my life to...
>>
>>1109090
yeah, because to most people one hour of studying is 5 minutes looking at the textbook and 55 minutes on facebook or dicking around in a study group. i was talking about legitimate studying where you do nothing but work with the course material.

the only time when i put in a shit load of time is when i had 5 courses and two labs that met every week and had lab reports and quizzes. it was in essence the same as taking 7 classes.
>>
File: .png (48 KB, 1062x1223) Image search: [Google]
.png
48 KB, 1062x1223
>>1109148
well i'm sure double majoring is quite a challenge but it seems like you have a natural disposition towards dick sucking and prolapses anuses.

on another note, not everyone is retarded.

>>1109242
i suggest you ask on /adv/ since this isn't a college advice board. with that said, it's not about how much time you put in but how effective your study technique is. i always tried my best to actually understand the fundamental concepts, and after that solving problems/taking exams was easy since it's a matter of recognizing what approach you need to take. it's all patterns pretty much.
>>
File: 1-bill-gates-quotes.jpg (60 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1-bill-gates-quotes.jpg
60 KB, 400x400
>>
File: 1456200977009.jpg (372 KB, 1500x1111) Image search: [Google]
1456200977009.jpg
372 KB, 1500x1111
They are doing something that fufills no purpose. Not everyone is motivated to learn by vegetating in front of dry textbooks and becoming autmonous yes man for grades. Those very same people may perform differently in the presence of a tutor or endeavour they are passionate about.

The meme fails to communicate that argument clearly, which works for the real dummies.
>>
>>1108383
>>1108365
But you forgot to say that generals and successful business owners are rare

Which means either that the smart and lazy are competing in a very crowded field, or that most people who say they are smart and lazy overestimate the first one
>>
>>1108825
You do realize they might've been lying to you as to cover up the fact that they did no work and made no effort, right?
>>
>>1106408
None, everyone fuck up at some point.
>>
>>1106410
Depends on what smart is.
A guy that learns things or a guy that chooses right.
>>
>>1106387
There are people with exceptionally high IQs that do almost nothing with their lives except play video games.

If that's not "smart but lazy", I don't know what is.
>>
>>1109548
Population percentage has a purpose in this. Also remember the bigger the business in a country, the less you require of the rarest ones you need. Basically like a triangle chart.
>>
>>1109571
Stupidly addicted
>>
Well i believe there are smart but lazy people, i remember being in highschool, some fucker used to fail every class, he had to make a test of them to become regular, so its like 10 different tests in one week, and he passed like nothing, thats being smart but lazy
>>
but being skinny fat is a real thing....
>>
>>1106387

Although it's true that many people with average/below-average intelligence use this as an excuse, "smart but lazy" is absolutely possible.

They are two distinct personality traits, and I don't see what's so hard to believe that they can both coexist within a person. Just because you're "smart" doesn't mean that you systematically have a good drive/ambition.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about, I learned to read and write before I was five y.o., I had top grades throughout elementary/high school effortlessly in every discipline, but had problems in college because I have 0 motivation whatsoever to finish my degree.
>>
>>1106387
I have a Salvador Dali quote above my desk.

"intelligence without ambition is like a bird without wings"
>>
>>1106387
It's a coping mechanism. People use it to protect their ego from the fact that they're actually stupid or completely average.

>>1106422
This.

>>1109561
That doesn't make them stupid though.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.