[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else think the stock market is a scam? How is everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 1454915404000.jpg (44 KB, 600x483) Image search: [Google]
1454915404000.jpg
44 KB, 600x483
Does anyone else think the stock market is a scam? How is everyone so convinced that these traditional investment vehicles (stocks, bonds, etc...) are the most effective use of money? I feel like too many people are shortsighted in this regard. Go open a fucking lemonade stand - why isn't that a good investment? That is a bit of an exaggeration but I am tired of seeing all these redditors talk about which Vanguard fund they are going to buy into. Why not invest in a business instead?
>>
Exactly. You can get far more return by investing into a business that you actually own.

Anyway saying that, buy ethereum.
>>
>>1105602
I don't personally like cryptocurrencies but it's more or less the "outside the box" approach I am talking about. It just feels like this whole "invest in the stock market" thing is an agenda being pushed upon the peons.
>>
>>1105546
Owning a business is hard work. Investing in a small business isn't possible for 99% of people as they don't have the opportunity to do so.
Investing in stocks is very easy, well described and a historically decent idea.
>>
>>1105546
>That is a bit of an exaggeration but I am tired of seeing all these redditors talk about which Vanguard fund they are going to buy into. Why not invest in a business instead?

Because 95% of businesses fail and because by buying Index Funds you're diversifying across a widerange of companies and their shared profits?

How retarded do you get?
>is da stockmarket a scam /biz/? shuld i buy gold and ethereum because it's a fungible good???
>>
>>1105694
>Index Funds
>by buying Index Funds you're diversifying across a widerange of companies and their shared loses
>>
>>1105703
Yes what is false here?

It's much more reliable than "just open a lemonade stand bro"
>>
>>1105708
Not "just open it".

You wait for a really hot day, go near a beach or swimmingpool with loads of people and demand 3$ per 0,25l of piss warm lemonade.
>>
>>1105715
>You wait for a really hot day, go near a beach or swimmingpool with loads of people and demand 3$ per 0,25l of piss warm lemonade.

You need a license to do that. And no one is going to buy fucking lemonade off some random guy sitting in a chair with a cooler.
>>
>>1105741
Well fuck you I did just that as a kid and in 1 week I made like 500$.
>>
>>1105744
No you didn't.
>>
>>1105759
Yes I did. Its a fact, though I obviously could never prove it.
>>
>>1105759
Why don't you believe that it's completely plausible
>>
>>1105546
The stock market is just a proxy for corporate welfare. By buying into it you can suck off of the taxpayer's teat and when it goes down the fed will print you money.
>>
>>1105769
>Why don't you believe that it's completely plausible

Because it requires a license and people generally do not buy from random kids standing around with a cooler.
>>
>>1105546
It's not a scam, necessarily.

It's just a way to make use of your capital without doing anything. I do however believe, that the only way to get 'rich' is to concentrate capital, and investing in index funds doesn't do that. Personally, I am a business owner but I invest spare cash in the markets because I don't need it and cash isn't my constraint for expansion.
>>
>>1105546
>he thinks buying stocks is not the same as investing in a business

Dude straight up youre fucking retarded.
>>
>>1105786
Except it's not you fucking retard. After the IPO the business doesn't get shit from you shifting money around.
>>
>>1105782
In what shithole do you live in?
>Hey kids do you have a license?
>whats a license?
>into jail you go.
>>
>>1105791
I've always wondered that. Why does businesses care about their stock price?
>>
>>1105792
You don't go to jail but you will get fined and at the very least told to stop it.

Let's be real here, when have you EVER seen someone with a lemonade stand(or similar) in real life - whether it be a kid or whatever?

I have personally never seen this is in my entire life, ever. The closest the comes to it is the street hotdog/other food vendors who have licenses and are a little more organized.
>>
>>1105798
>Let's be real here, when have you EVER seen someone with a lemonade stand(or similar) in real life - whether it be a kid or whatever?

I did.
>>
>>1105791
The business should care because the stockholders are still partially owners of the business.
>>
>>1105810
Yes, but you add no value by shifting money around on the stock market. You're just betting on a business-themed gambling game.
>>
>>1105796
If you had like 20% of the stocks of a company you would care about the stock price.
>>
>>1105546
You're stupid.

Literally how is the stock market a scam?

>>1105715
But opening a lemonade stand isn't a passive income.

More than that, it's not as guaranteed. It's situational (depending on the weather, as you said) and you can't really use leverage there.

>>1105744
Even if it were the perfect weather and if you didn't get beaten up by the cops after getting caught for the 48th time doing unlicensed street vendoring, you'd only make 500 per week - 24k per year.
>>
>>1105796
>>1105906
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/basics/03/020703.asp
>>
Im investing in the "a company for carrying out an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is" company. I heard their stock is going to do well this year
>>
>>1105796

the fundamental goal of a corporation is to maximize the intrinsic stock value
>>
>>1105890
>what is equity financing, alex
>>
>Why not invest in a business instead?

The concept called risk.

/thread
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.