[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Got a liberal arts degree >Complains about not getting a job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 1456077363258.jpg (20 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
1456077363258.jpg
20 KB, 575x323
>Got a liberal arts degree
>Complains about not getting a job
>>
at least got all the females art students to fuck?
>>
>>1105439
It literally takes buying one drink to get a liberal arts slut. Much cheaper than 20 grand in tuition.
>>
File: IMG_20160214_125454.jpg (33 KB, 307x455) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160214_125454.jpg
33 KB, 307x455
>>1105404
>liberal arts students don't get job
Is this statistically true? Who the heck draws the dozens of cartoons and promo pictures and makes video game designs and writers newspapers and novels and about a million other things ?
>>
>>1105447
Those are done by people dumb enough to pay for a Graphic Arts degree.
>>
>>1105447
>Who the heck draws the dozens of cartoons and promo pictures
graphic design
>video game designs
a tiny number of illustrators
>writers newspapers
school of journalism
>novels
anybody including people without any degree
>>
File: 1455629367370.gif (848 KB, 240x325) Image search: [Google]
1455629367370.gif
848 KB, 240x325
>>1105452
This. You don't get taught anything in those retarded liberal arts classes (whatever that means). Same with fine arts degree, assuming there is a difference.

Nobody is mocking bachelors in graphic design and journalism. Heck, even web design is like a Ph.D. compared to liberal arts and gender studies.
>>
>>1105404
This is a meme. Very few people are gettig liberal arts degrees theses days, even if they can't find work.
>>
>>1105447
Artists will universally tell you that arts classes and schools are basically a scam and you can learn the same by using public domain learning materials or stealing the old one.

Art quality speaks for itself so you don't really need a fancy degree when you show your work to a potential employer
>>
I got a BA(hon) in psychology, but during my studies took a bunch of stats courses and volunteered as an RA for profs. Now I'm a research coordinator making 27/hr (I'm 24). Hoping to do a masters in data analytics.

Liberal arts are shit but your education is as valuable as you make it.
>>
I got a Politics degree with International Relations. Courses themselves only taught me how to research & synthesize information quickly and form an opinion to express myself properly in writing (Great for Law). Thats about it skill wise.

Course content was shallow.Spent my own time reading books and journals; got redpilled and foundation-ally educated on everything from basic economics, economic history, psychology, governance, banking, usury, capitalism, 20th century industrialisation, religious history, marxism, feminism, middle eastern politics, 20th century political history, history of money, Darwinism, genetics, Dubai's history with England, oil, NATO, American exceptionalism, credit, finance, law, history of gays, third world conflicts, human origins, global warming, colonisation, slavery, African pre-colonial history, existentialism, European philosophy, foreign policy, international organisations damn near anything you could think of....

Now jaded and numb to everything while studying my Accounting degree with a context to the world I live in. I don't vote, I am pessimistic and misanthropic.

I don't fucking care about the pointlessness of life on this rock anymore after that 4 years.

If I could go back, I'd do the exact same thing. Everyone should fucking be forced to atleast read historical economic & politics text before age 18. Fucking mandatory
>>
Should I get a business engineering degree?
>>
>>1105404
What exactly constitutes a liberal art subject? Is it the same as the humanities? Are social science subjects like polisci considered lib arts?
>>
>>1105404
Could somebody tell me what Liberal Arts means?

Everyone on /biz/ seems to think it refers to Art, English, Gender Studies, Philosophy, etc, but literally everything I see online about it includes Math, Soft Sciences, Biology, etc.
>>
>>1106160
Liberal arts refers to social sciences and humanities.
>>
>>1106170
So economics is a worthless degree?
>>
>>1106171
Yes
>>
File: imrs.png (1 MB, 1484x2130) Image search: [Google]
imrs.png
1 MB, 1484x2130
>>1106172
Why doesn't this graph corroborate that?
>>
>>1106193
Your unsourced graph has convinced me sir
>>
>>1106196
http://www.hamiltonproject.org/charts/career_earnings_by_college_major/

Could always just reverse image search, m8.
>>
>>1106209
Actually I don't know where that particular graph is at on their website, it was just included in
http://www.businessinsider.com/college-majors-biggest-lifetime-earnings-2014-9
>>
>>1106193
Where is medicine? Where is Law?
>>
>>1106220
Under a study that looks at professional degrees and not college majors?
>>
How bad is a BA in economics?
>>
>thinking a non-Ivy humanities BA means anything without a Master's degree.
>>
>>1105404
Employment is a function of demand not skill.

Look at the post-war period where there were millions of unskilled workers in employment due to the aggregate demand policies governments implemented to achieve full employment. Compare that to today where skilled workers are now unemployed. Lack of demand = unemployment.

Making it about qualifications completely misses the point.
>>
>>1106251
But that doesnt really help
>>
>>1106247
Unless you're aiming for data analysis, it's just as good as a BS.

Honestly the vast majority of the math involved in the BS is in your theory class, and it's mostly calc. It might focus a bit more on econometrics than a BA, but not by as much as you'd think.
>>
>>1106193
life time earnings of just over 2mil? if you live to be 80 and start work at 25 that means they're only making 36k a year, if you retired at 70 that's still only 44k a year. I get that at 19 without a degree
>>
>>1106251
If there's less demand it means you have to put in effort to compete in getting a job. every poor person would work if they didn't have to put in effort to get a job
>>
>Dropped out of Fine Art degree
>Got a job in programming with zero qualifications or experience

Try harder
>>
>thinks University is just like high school and only shows up to class and gets good grades
>doesn't network, do internships, etc.
>complains they can't get a job
>>
>>1105404
I got a STEM degree and still complained about not getting a job.
>>
File: download.png (4 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4 KB, 345x146
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.