[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting out of debt....just in time for new debt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 1439360586001.jpg (55 KB, 992x558) Image search: [Google]
1439360586001.jpg
55 KB, 992x558
Greetings /biz/
>be mid-30's
>engineer at same place for 11yrs
>~110k/yr - can walk across the street and get a new job at any time.
> own a condo that I rent out
> rent a downtown apartment
> own a 10yr old car that is falling apart.
> ~7k in credit card debt
> just got $7k in federal tax return
>have a mere $2k in checking account.
>have $16k in savings account that I never touch.
>$240k in Roth Ira
>no wife, no gf(obvious) and no kids.

I got a $7k refund and that herpes-like credit card burden of $7k. I plan to pay it off immediately.

I will be *debt-free*
I'm looking at buying a $33k car (new).

Talk me out of it.
>>
I know that feeling at a smaller scale. Just accept that like a business, it makes sense to have a constant level of debt that you can continuously roll over, especially if you can get good terms. For instance, when I get 0% interest or 0% balance transfer credit card offers, I'll use those to make purchases, then pay them off before the interest kicks in.
>>
>>1104852
>10yr old car that is falling apart.
Why? What are you doing to this car that it falls apart after only 10 years? Either it was a piece of shit when you bought it, or you've abused the fuck out of it.
>>
dude never buy a new car the depreciation is ridiculous in the beginning. If you buy a certified used one of the same model from last year you'll save 5-6 grand minimum
>>
>>1104862

>2004 Toyota Camry w/174k mileage - transmission is starting to act weird.

>>1104866
$33k for new 2016 Subaru Outback Limited
$30k for certified 2015 model with 12k miles.
>>
>>1104852
Google "eaely returement extreme"

I presume you dont dread work but is the slave labor worth it boyo?
>>
>>1104892

I'm sorry I don't understand the things you typed into this thread.
>>
>>1104866
>certified used
Not anymore, friend. Companies charge premium price for a lesser product, it's the 2015 way and it's here to stay.
>>
File: SubaruPrice.png (104 KB, 1964x1067) Image search: [Google]
SubaruPrice.png
104 KB, 1964x1067
So, anon, I actually did some research a few months ago and concluded that Subaru Outbacks depreciate by roughly 14% each year based on the listing prices on craigslist.

This means: the newer you buy the more money you lose when you sell.

If I were in your position, I'd buy about an 5-7 year old car and keep it until I started to get significant repair costs and then move on.
>>
You're engineer I assume you know how to fix cars and repair complicated pieces of machinery. You're pretty much set for retirement with 240k in your IRA. I am assuming you're dumping the max 5k? If you're live close to your workplace, you should just bike to work. I think you should learn how to repair your car on your own.
>>
>>1104925
>engineer

software engineer, so...
>>
>>1104923

I appreciate the data. I do, however, have a bit of an emotional attachment towards the Subaru Outback (2015-16).

>AWD
>4cyl
>Leather
>EyeSight
>>
>>1105021
Buy a 5-7 year old subaru then wait until the 15-16 one is 5-7 years old.
>>
>>1105021
FWIW, a colleague of mine bought a 2016 Subaru Outback and loves it more than her husband, so if you have your heart set on new...
>>
>>1104852
Wife and I are in the same situation. Just save a couple thousand a month and buy a used car around years end.
>>
>>1104883
May I ask why you're buying an SUV? If I was in your situation I'd be looking at more sporty cars
>>
>>1104852
Eh, don't fall for the car meme. I bought a 2016 Lexus RX350 and I cringe everytime I look at the bill.

Since the US might go into recession, hold off and dollar cost average your next 1-2 years.

Then buy a 2018 Subaru. If you get lucky, you might be able buy a luxury brand car instead.
>>
>>1104852
Do what you want. I've figured out that you can't talk people out of being greedy and buying things they don't need.
>>
>>1105021
are those fancy doodads worth 400$+ a month for more than half a decade? put it into perspective bro. an owned car doesn't require insurance on that vehicle, so insurance is 50% what it could be. also paying interest on a depreciating asset=no bueno

come on dude you're supposed to be smart and shit
>>
>>1104852
If by new you mean brand new then no. But I bought a 2012 this year with 40k miles and holy shit is it worth it. I was driving old beaters like you since I was 16 (holy shit almost 15 years...) , my last one was a manual too. And I gotta say, having a big comfortable ride is the best thing ever. It sounds like you can clearly afford it. I would highly recommend. I bought a Nissan titan if you're curious
>>
Idk if you're down for some work but you could buy a salvage title car and fix er up. Saves a shitton of money, did it with an 09 Audi TT a few years back for 10k (including repairs).

But in general, absolutely do not buy new. Subarus are nice and relatively reliable.
>>
>>1105056
Valid point. I went through that phase where I daydreamed about BMW 3's and Audi A4/A5's...
I want a very functional car - I have a dog, I love road trips to the mountains/camping, etc.. and I am a relatively slow/conservative driver.
My friend has an older Outback and it's really nice - but lacks some refinements that I will definitely spring extra $$ for.
>>
>>1105061

This. This is the kind of real-world buyers remorse that keeps me up at night.

I considered a 2013 Lexus RX450h AWD but then realized that only Asian women drive that car (in Southern California).
>>
>>1105072

The logical part of me really follows but this is definitely an emotional/vain purchase. I don't need and iPhone 6, but I jumped at the chance to get one in the first week.

I make decent money and I drive a shit-tier car compared to my peers. I'm not reaching for the stars by financing a Tesla - I feel like I'm buying a pricey functional car that will last me 10yrs, family-ready, safe, reliable, etc...

I know there's no easy way to stomach a $32k toy.
>>
>>1104852
Just buy a pre 2010 car with less than 100k miles on it, OP. Save fucking money. You god damn Mongoloid.
>>
>>1104925
>pretty much set for retirement with 240k in your IRA
not really
>>
>>1105021
how do you have an emotional attachment to a car you don't even own yet, that you're trying to get us to talk you out of?

but yeah, buy one that's like 5 years old.
>>
>>1106067

This car allows me to do some things that I can't do these days ... namely, road trips with a load (of people, dogs, gear).
There's definitely a perception of lifestyle freedom here rather than vanity...although I can buy an older version, i just feel like private sellers and used car dealers are always trying to get over on me, or pass on a problem to a sucker.

Oh and new car smell is nice.
>>
Realistically, how often are you gonna take road trips dude?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.