[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey I'm a mechanical Engineer who's looking to go into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1454051944477-2.jpg (588 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
1454051944477-2.jpg
588 KB, 2500x2500
hey I'm a mechanical Engineer who's looking to go into investment banking in Toronto area.
Is anyone here in a similar situation, who was able to successfully switch?

I graduated in December, and have been working in the auto industry since June. I know some programming in Matlab, and C++, but I don't have any finance background.

Question is, is it possible? would it help get noticed if I took some courses in finance through edX, and got my CFA?
>>
>>1104543
op what automaker are you working for?

I work for a t1 supplier and am planning on going back to school for a Mech E degree and hopefully get on at the manufacturer
>>
>>1104548
I'm at a T1 supplier as well. one of the big 3 is the dream if investment banking doesn't work out. Are you in Michigan?
>>
>>1104543
its a lot harder to switch than people will tell you, not only is landing an ib job as a non finance/eco major very challenging, but having it not be your first job out of school is even more so. ibs hire out of school, and they hire out of internships. both of which you already missed the deadlines on.

there are so many fucking people who think they can just walk into ib with a random stem degree it blows my mind, you watched too many movies
>>
>>1104551
Ohio

Japanese big 3
>>
>>1104552
>implying Quant positions aren't Maths/Physics/Engineering Majors
>Implying people can't enter at associate levels in their 30's.
>Implying people can't start in boutiques and work their way up

OP should return to University and do a MSc in finance, or get CFA level 1 and land an interview here and there. But yes, he missed the boat on Tier 1 banks and will have to work much harder... and even then there will be a 21 y/o Ivy League graduate, the perfect entry position monkey, that OP will have to contest with.
>>
>>1104552
Ok I agree that a person who has an internship will almost always have an edge over me, but compared to a business major straight out of school with no internship, why wouldn't day consider an engineer with a 1 year experience?
>>
>>1104561
>MSc in finance
is that different from an MBA? I always heard about MBA, and not MSc in Finance
>>
>>1104565
It's a master's, usually one year. MBA is something else (which you should get AFTER the job, otherwise it's just a worthless piece of paper).

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/154088/the-top-30-masters-in-finance-for-getting-a-job-in-investment-banking/
>>
>>1104562
your non finance experience is meaningless.theres no shortage of golden boys who havent even graduated yet who have several internships under their belt. your "little bit of matlab" and complete lack of finance knowledge paired with no relevant finance experience means you're just about completely worthless. you dont have enough math to work as a quant and you dont have any finance or any experience at all and you are shooting at the most prestigous job in finance. if it was really your "dream" you would be further than step 0 right now but you arent, you're just chasing a high paying job this week because you saw a movie
>>
>>1104572
What are your qualifications then, o mighty faggot?
>>
op why dont you just get a cozy job at ford and call it a day
>>
>>1104577
phd in statistics, work in ficcs/lev fin at goldman as a strat
>>
>>1104572
>lack of finance knowledge
He's doing the CFA, it is the finance knowledge.
>no relevant finance experience
He'll start at a boutique.
>you don't have enough math to work as a quant
He can do a phd. OP asked for a solution to his situation, not to be grounded to the floor...

By the way, Investment Banking is a meme, plenty of better options.
>>
>>1104579
Mainly because I want to move back home to Toronto, and live in Downtown :^)...Not many engineering jobs in that area
I actually love my current engineering job, but I'm just trying to see if a different route is possible
>>1104585
>plenty of better options
I'm only familiar with IB because I heard they actively hire engineers, I'm open to other finance jobs that would hire engineers.

what are some other options

>>1104584
c-can you give me a referral at goldman? I'll be your best friend :^)
>>
>>1104591
>>1104591
Lol, that guy was right about you seeing a movie and starting to chase a high paying job from yesterday
>>
>>1104595
Which part of my post made you think that? the only finance related movie I've seen is wolf of wall street back in 2013. If that movie had made me chase IB, I would've done it before I had graduated and started working as an engineer.

and coincidentally, with the shitty Canadian $, I'm making equivalent of $95K CAD, since I get paid in USD...so it's not really about the money
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.