[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
APMEX thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: $_12.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
Hey /biz/.

So, I'm looking to hold some gold, silver or whatever bars for the sake of diversification, although I think commodities has a lot further downside pressure to come, hence I'm heavily invested in equities ETF.

What/Where to buy ? Where to stock a 1 oz bar ? Collect coins ?

Not searching to make a quick profit, just long term holdings, even if gold depreciates.
>>
>>1103744
Ive been looking into this myself. I would go to your local coin/bullion dealer and ask roughly what their buyback prices are for various types of metals. I was just gonna buy bars/rounds since they're cheaper, but you also get back less when you sell them. The gold eagles/silver eagles are a bit more expensive, but dealers will usually give you at least a small amount over spot price for them, while you might get less than spot for rounds/bars. I haven't bought any yet, but making sure you have a proper place to sell them if need be is key i think. Also, you can sell to apmex, or other sites, but it would be a pain in the ass, plus shipping, plus risk, etc..
>>
>>1103746
I see it more as a trophy. Holding a valuable asset, others than seeing numbers on a screen when you check your vanguard account, so selling on APMEX is not a goal for me.

Which brand corresponds to gold/silver eagles ?
>>
>>1103748
I was looking to mainly hold long term too, but you never know when you might need the money, or if it looks like gold gets way overbought you might want to sell.
Gold or Silver eagles are minted by the us gov and are technically currency with a face value, although the value is nowhere near the metal value so no one really cares, but they are more "official" and popular, and people tend to trust them more. Not sure if you really care about all that, but the buy/sell spread on the eagles i think is slightly smaller than on generic bars/rounds- but that all depends on where you sell them. you will get over spot price when you sell eagles, at any reputable dealer, not sure if you'd get spot, or slightly less, if selling bars/rounds. But if you wanted to just hold forever and look at how pretty they are, some nice gold bars would be pretty good, and slightly cheaper.
>>
>>1103744
Bar/rounds have the lowest price over spot with the lowest premium when reselling.

Minted coins you'll pay a premium for but they also sell for a premium. Also easier to sell as they're more recognizable.

I stick with gold buffalos/eagles and silver eagles personally.

Stay away from numismatics and graded coins.
>>
>>1103755
Yeah, this as well. I'm no collector, nor do i know any collectors. So any coin with numismatic value over spot price plus normal premium means nothing to me, as I don't presume to ever extract that value out of anyone. However, theres a reason the gold/siver eagle coins (and others, those buffalos are nice) from older years are worth more than newer ones, presumably a slight bit of collector's value. So if you can find 2015s for the same price as 2016's, you might as well take them.
>>
I really want to buy some, but it's currently on a bit of a run up, and I'm not convinced they won't halve in value within the year, so i'm hesitant, even for long term holding there's no point in buying right before the bloodbath. However, it's also very possible gold/silver to the moon very soon as well. I just don't know.
>>
>>1103762
>I really want to buy some, but it's currently on a bit of a run up, and I'm not convinced they won't halve in value within the year, so i'm hesitant, even for long term holding there's no point in buying right before the bloodbath. However, it's also very possible gold/silver to the moon very soon as well. I just don't know.
I believe gold will find some good support around 900$. Hence I expect more downside.
>>
>>1103744
Avoid Apmex. Their premiums are pretty high in comparison to others, and they don't ship USPS (UPS and FedEx do *NOT* insure metals shipments.)

Go with JM Bullion, or Monarch Precious Metals, or alternately stay local. Lots of coin shops also sell bullion, as do some jewelers, and any flea market is bound to have a few sellers.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.