[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many jobs do most recent-grads apply to before finally getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1455897980615.jpg (51 KB, 520x630) Image search: [Google]
1455897980615.jpg
51 KB, 520x630
How many jobs do most recent-grads apply to before finally getting hired?
>>
On average, I'd say 50 or so.
>>
File: tootsie-pop-owl.jpg (121 KB, 340x275) Image search: [Google]
tootsie-pop-owl.jpg
121 KB, 340x275
>>
Don't rely on numbers, man. Rely on your ability craft great marketing materials (CV, cover letter, references, etc.) and your ability interview. This all easier said than done, of course!

You need to learn how to fine tune your CV. You need to get proactive about reaching out to professionals. Learn how to conduct an informational interview and pick the brains of your references.

Most importantly, you need to practice interviewing. You have to sell yourself, bruv! Find out what the employer is looking for and then craft yourself in that image! Record yourself and get so comfortable with your answering, articulation, and voice that you'll start convincing yourself when you review this stuff!

When you're asking something like "How many jobs do I apply for before I get an offer", you're just fucking yourself over. Why send out 50 average applications when you can send out 5 great applications?
>>
>>1103489

I sent out 10 applications
6 interviews
2 offers

Law grad btw, so it's not exactly like I was being headhunted. I only applied for positions I was actually qualified for.

People who complain about not having a job after 200 applications are just wasting their time applying for the wrong shit.
>>
10 applications. 3 interviews.
>>
>>1103489

I applied to twenty before I learned my resume that the OVR gave me sucked some dicks.

Then I applied to twenty more before I snuck into an open interview.
>>
OP here, this thread makes me want to end myself.
>>
>>1103489
I sent out exactly one application and just got hired
>>
>>1103489
Applied 2, offered 2. This was in 2009.
>>
>>1103489
About 50, got 3 interviews, got the job on the 3rd. I had a CS degree and 2 years IT experience as a college work study, the job I got was glorified IT for 40k. Left 2 years later for a 60% pay bump in software engineering.
>>
>>1104507
I was expecting to hear more stories similar to this one, tbqh
>>
File: balrog.png (89 KB, 205x208) Image search: [Google]
balrog.png
89 KB, 205x208
I have a useless degree.

I waited tables for about a year after I graduated while applying for anything I could find.

Eventually I got lucky and landed a spot at a temp agency in a corporate office. I worked my ass off there and was offered a full time salaried position after about half a year.

It took me a long ass time and a lot of effort.
>>
>>1104607

>eighteen months
That's not all that long of a time in the career world.
>>
>>1103491

How the hell do people fill out that many applications?

I struggle to do one avery 2-3 days after I think about the application questions. Unless they are sending out their resume/cover letter en masse and putting little effort into the application questions, at least 75% are almost guaranteed to be automatically binned from poor effort.
>>
>>1104507
This is me right now but still at uni, this post just gave me some hope after college.
>>
Another data point, entry level IT 55k in 2012.
10 applications
2 interviews
1 offer.
Took about a month.

Wrote custom cover letters for every application, which may have helped. Had one interviewer at one of my internships tell me that was the deciding factor. Worked part time and between semesters during college for 3 years, so I was applying for jobs requiring 3 years experience.
>>
>>1104928
I fucking know. Applications seem to get longer and longer every year. Helped my brother fill out his first application to Target and that shit was ridiculous. I don't get how people can do tons of these a day.
>>
>Put resume on Monster
>Get 7 phone calls the next day
>Most office, psuedo-sales jobs
>One doesn't even have commission caps

I don't want to go into that field at all, but it's nice to know that, if all else fails, I can at least make decent money working my ass off at a place like that.
>>
>>1105149
can you post one of the cover letters you wrote? i'm curious what they looked like.
>>
>>1105165
I dont have them any more.
Did three paragraphs: intro, body, conclusion. Intro and conclusion was tailored to the company while body that was mostly copy pasted. Body was where I wrote about details of my work experience while header and conclusion were about why I wanted to work there and how my experience was applicable.
>>
>>1103489
Didn't have to send out any applications, I met this guy through some gay ass event from my uni and I got a job offer from him.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.