[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mfw sudden realization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 400x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 400x279
>work for several businesses in hospitality
>all incredibly inefficient
>staff complain about broken and old things and owners make excuses about tight funds (bullshit!)
>customers complain about delivery times when this could literally be solved by a simple work system
>terrible looking and confusing menus
>lazy workers
>owners always want to get their inexperienced hands into the recipe of something
>wonder why business isn't doing well

Holy shit /biz/, I'm literally only 20 but even I could run this shit better, I had a realization that literally all of the world's business related problems are a result of incompetence and sheer lack of leadership.

Am I wrong? Someone explain if I'm being a retard

Are all businesses like this?
>>
How about you start your own business and get rich instead of cleaning the floors
>>
>>1103479
Alright, I will
>>
>>1103473

>Read up on Kaizen and Six Sigma
>Read other business books, read a book a week on leadership, management, people skills, etc.
>Find inefficiencies in my current worklplace
>Tell boss "I can save at least $10,000 a year with a few small changes"
>They don't care.

OP, sounds like you're the smartest guy in the place. I'm in the exact same situation and I'll tell you straight up, that's not a good thing at all.
>>
>>1103473
>yfw you realize the chaoticly incompetent work environment is the bastion of American exeptionalism
We build things well, but just shitty enough that they break in just enough time to keep customers coming back. Our way of doing business is efficient enough to get the job done, but just inefficient enough to justify employing unnecessary workers and buying unnecessary equipment that keeps the economy going. It's a perfect chaos
>>
>>1103473

It just depends what you are talking about here.

If you are talking about corporations, then yes I agree the lack of common sense, direction, and ability to run things in an organized manner is common.

But for smaller businesses (under 100 employees) the problem is just time and energy. You just can't manage it all. And as long as money keeps coming in, who cares right?
>>
>>1103473
Pretty much.

Why do you think German businesses do so fucking well. A much larger portion of their workforce is inherently driven to be efficient and do their jobs well.

Their the Labrador retrievers of humans, but bred to work instead of retrieve things.
>>
>>1103473
In addition, read Carl Icahn's thoughts on why American companies run so inefficiently. Basically, when a CEO takes on his second in command, he wants someone who isn't smart enough to replace him before he retires. And the process continues until literal retards are running the show.
>>
Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Recognizing those problems and thinking you can do better is the first step to becoming a business owner though.
>>
>>1103517

Bro are you sure they aren't the German Shepards of humans?
>>
>>1103528
That breed has been so bastardized their as likely to eat your sheep as protect them. Their more like the Brazilians of humans,
>>
>>1103473

You're probably right.

Most organizations that grow large succumb to bloat, lack of innovation, and inability to fit into smaller market openings because they're managed by incompetent managers who announce 'inspections' that just prove that employees know how to clean the store when they show up.
>>
Germans are the cuckerspanielz
>>
>>1103517

no creativity though.
>>
>>1103473
I work in sales and yes it is like this.

Head office just implemented an online books system that is fucking BROKEN and fields don't carry over, things have to be entered like 7 times each etc. The efficiency of admin work would quadruple if a better system were in place.

Not to mention it's overstaffed on guaranteed slow days and understaffed on guaranteed busy days, which would save money if reversed.
>>
>>1103473
Nope, you are frighteningly right as this is one of the big four problems in business I see time and time again. Thing is this is the most destructive and simplest to solve of the four, yet I see it everywhere.
>>
>>1103473

>staff complain about broken and old things and owners make excuses about tight funds (bullshit!)

Gotta keep those profit margins high! Can't be bogged down with trivial things like equipment expenses.
>>
>>1103535
>german shepherds are the brazilians of humans
you sure about that?
>>
>>1104160
Please tell me more about your system of four problems in business and how can I buy your book?
>>
>>1103473
>>1103492
>>1103517
>>1103571
>>1103571
>>1104160
>>1104160
>>1104169
>All this efficiency circle-jerk. If you ever make it to the point where you are making decisions for your business you'll see that there's comparatively little upside in optimizing for efficiency. Growth initiatives win every time, until you reach market-leader status.
>>
>>1104193
Another person asking for a book by me?
Maybe I should become a writer, except I hate writing and have so many spelling and grammar errors people really question my intelligence after reading my stuff.
I apparently have like 6 books people keep asking me to write.

Here are the four problems, they can and often do overlap and my naming is not refined to my liking but you get the idea
1. incompetence, lack of understanding, agency misalignment
2. over optimized, strictly following the textbook, short sighted
3. supply shortage, lack of money/technology/transportation/other resources
4. image/brand, customers, purpose
>>
>>1103473
Sounds like every IT department I've ever worked in. Unfortunately, that's a field where being better will get you nowhere.
>>
>>1103479
You're a tool but it's funny that businesses get over big hurdles like funding or awareness only to trip over their own shoelaces and make butthurt comments online.
>>
>>1103473
I work at an e-commerce warehouse. No not all businesses are run like that. We have weekly meetings on how to improve our systems.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.