[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would working and being homeless work? Get a membership at high
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
Would working and being homeless work?
Get a membership at high end gym which gives you:
-locker
-place to hang your coat(s)
-shower
-washroom
-hygene stuff to keep yourself groomed
-equipment to keep you fit

Buy cheap or on sale business/casual attire to look good and professional

Not sure how to aquire food though. Fast food will come out expensive and unhealthy long term. Maybe volunteer at some food bank type of place/work where lunch is on the company's bill?

At this point, it's reasonable to save 95+% of your income. Therefore if it happens to be 40-50k/year type of job then investing all of it into some index funds should be almost 4000/mo invested which equal to about 1 mil in 10 years, or almost 2 mil in 15 or almost 4 in 20 years.

What do you think?

By the way, living with parents is not an option here.
>>
>>1101904
This sounds interesting. Do you have car to sleep in?
>>
>>1101904
>those savings numbers

You don't know much about having a job do you
>>
>>1101915
No. Car is out of the question.
Perhaps you could crash at your good friend's place...for like 10 years. Worst case - sleep in airports, train stations. Other option is to simply get a roomate or two to split rent costs.
Although splitting rent would be probably more expensive than simply owning a car and paying insurance/gas for it. I guess, these are your options.
>>
>>1101904

Depends on what kind of job you qualify for, and if they'd let you apply without a home address.

For food, a hand operated can opener and cans of beans will satiate your protein and carbs needs on the cheap.
>>
>>1101904

where are you going to sleep you retarded nigger
>>
>>1101923
Really just sounds better and easier to get a 2nd job to achieve the savings you want.
>>
>>1101904

Can't have a bank account without an address, and you can't get paid by a real job without a bank account.
>>
>>1101926
>>1101929
For address, simply use someone else's. Just make sure you trust them.

>>1101927
See >>1101923

>>1101928
2nd job? You're aready working 50hrs/week. Where are you going to fit second job that will pay you just as much? Part time job? Yes, maybe. But it won't pay another 40/50k
>>
>>1101923
>stay at friend's place
>homeless
you're a fucking retard.
>>
I've known people who lived in their car. Not nice but it works.
>>
>>1101939
I think working 80 hours a week would be better than sleeping in the streets and living out of a gym
>>
>>1101904
>Therefore if it happens to be 40-50k/year type of job then investing all of it into some index funds should be almost 4000/mo invested
Unless you live in a country that has income taxes...

Anyway, if you want to live cheap your best bet would probably be a share house. Find a three or four bedroom house in a crappy area and split the rent with some students. It's going to cost you a little bit more than gym membership and a PO box, but it will solve pretty much all of your problems.
You can live very cheaply without actually being homeless.
>>
>>1101922
I had the same thought.
>>
>>1101904
google "van dwelling"
>>
>>1101923
How about buy a cheap camper and park at a camping ground(pretty cheap lot fees). I guy that works with me does that and with the money we make, that's a hell of a savings.
>>
>>1102022
Is it true that in America you can sleep in wal-mart parking lots for as long as you like?
>>
>>1102037
Not sure, don't see how they could catch you though. I would have to say yes, but I would move to different parking spots and different store locations.
>>
>>1101904
This picture missed the oportunity to wrap a champagne flute or martini glass in a brown paper bag.
>>
File: 1440803161528.gif (992 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1440803161528.gif
992 KB, 250x250
this guy fucking serious WUUUT
>>
>>1101923
What's the point in saving if you have to live like a druggie?

Your money isn't going to with you when you kick the bucket in 40 years.
>>
>>1102037
They allow campers and RVs I believe. Not random people sleeping in their (regular) cars.
>>
Sounds really stupid desu senpai. You do realise that it's possible to make money buying property?

Your quality of life would be shit for next to no profit.

Better ideas:
>Get a rich GF you were planing on being homeless so you better not care if shes hot

>Buy a house or apartment that you think will go up in value. Calculate everything if you have to take loans etc.

>Buy a house, knee pads and lipbalm. This way you can suck dicks for extra cash without taking much damage. Also the demand is the highest after normal working hours so it would work great.

>Become an over night hooker. Better make sure you are not picky and/or hot so that you are booked every night. You might want to invest in some lipbalm and vaselin for this one.
>>
Honestly, the logic makes sense and probably the only reason why the posters here are being so negative is that they're all retarded dumb-asses who have never had a critical thought out of the ordinary their entire lives. It's thinking like the OP's that will make you rich - not doing everything that the other sheep do - but I am honestly not surprised by /biz/'s behavior. This board hasn't known shit about anything since it started so I have absolutely zero expectations of any of the people who post here.

Regarding the OP: logically it could work but practically - I highly doubt it. What you described in the OP is essentially my life-style at the moment: I work as a highly paid freelance contractor without any kind of stable dwelling. I've lived in hotels, slept in tents, gone to all kinds of countries, and just generally not had any where to call my own. And - yes I did save a fuck load on rent - you could do the same thing if you moved back home. But generally most wage slaves have jobs that chain them to a particularly shit area so they can't hit 6 figures just by arbitraging cost of living like the OP suggests.

If I had to guess the outcome of your experiment I'd say that you'll do it short term for a few months or so before realizing the true meaning of what having stable shelter is. You might think now that you can easily forgo this expensive shelter we call "home" but you would honestly be surprised how fragile our needs are regarding this.
>>
>>1102112
Why not just live with parents rent free?
In many cultures its accepted but only in this white piggu races parents want their kids OUT by 18. What the fuck is that shit
>>
>>1102112
So living like a nigger and likely taking years off your life by living the homeless life is worth saving a few shekels?

You retarded?
>>
>>1101904
Buy a truck, furnish the interior with a cozy bedroom, park it in the company lot.
>Some kid working for Google does this.
>>
>>1102037
It's 30 days. At some point during the first month you're there, parking lot security will come by and say hello if they see you and engage with you in a friendly chat. Walmart knows that you're essentially a captive consumer, so they're fine with you living there... for a while... so long as you're not rocking the boat, so to speak. After the first month, it's a case-by-case basis involving how much security likes you.
>>
>>1102113
That's my point: a lot of the worthless shit we spend our money on actually buys a lot of psychological comfort which directly converts to motivation and thus: more money. For instance, I'd love to be able to move back home and save tons of money but just the thought of having to wake up every day in the same depressing house I spent my childhood in like nothing ever changes would be so de-motivating that I could barely work. So in this case it actually works out to me making more money by spending a few thousand per month on a decent AirBNB instead of moving back home.

OP's mileage here may vary but I think in general since we're all human we all have the same pathetic, and weak human needs.
>>
>>1102113

Yeah white culture is pretty much hit 18 and youre out. Cant say much when they paid my university education.
>>
>>1102123
Responsibility, I guess that's why whites are usually better off than the rest.
>>
>>1102112
Or, maybe some of us dumbasses have lived on the street and know it is a fucked up way to live and not a "lifestyle choice". Fucking idiot.
>>
>>1102115
It has the potential to place you far ahead of the game by a large margin and this is actually one of the ways I managed to buy my first company. What I did was: I saved almost all my money for around 6 months and then purchased a small SaaS startup with decent revenues. Had I been living in the average city and grinding to pay for food and rent I would have had less than half of that - and virtually nothing if I was living in San Francisco.

So yes, OP actually has a point. It's just that as a strategy it won't be viable for most sane people past a couple of months (though given that we're here on 4chan it wouldn't surprise me to hear that OP was a millionaire in a couple of years from doing this.) Investing has always been a sound strategy, its just more that the level of sacrifice needed for most people requires a number of rare qualities: 1. The ability to plan ahead by years. 2. The ability to stick to a schedule for years. 3. The ability to take calculated risks. 4. The ability to cultivate obsession and sacrifice short-term satisfaction for long-term gains - and most people go through life without needing any of these.

Experimenting, taking risks, learning from your mistakes, and thinking a lot are all that has ever been needed to get rich. True story bruh.
>>
>>1102130
I don't think we're discussing the same thing here ...
>>
>>1102123
>white culture is pretty much hit 18 and youre out.
Actually it's a retarded americanism, no other white countries really have this culture, and nor did yours until the jew meme took hold and you morons gobbled it up.
>>
>>1101904

ive done this for a litter over 6 months when i first moved to AZ and I got sick of it.

I moved from WI to AZ by myself. I had a 2010 Jeep Commander, I bought an air mattress and folded down the seats plugged the inlet in my cars outlet to air up. It was sort of comfy. I had a membership at planet fitness where i would shower and freshen up. Literally my only cost of living was:

pf: 10$/mo
phone: 70$/mo
gas: 60-70$/mo
food: 70-100$/mo
random supplies: 40$/mo

saved alot in those 6 months but lost alot of confidence and self worth puting myself through that sort of hell.
>>
File: 1452217257648.jpg (133 KB, 765x1024) Image search: [Google]
1452217257648.jpg
133 KB, 765x1024
>>1102149

and after those 6 months i couldnt take it anymore and rented a room from some older guy who was a bro.

now i have my own apt thank god
>>
>>1102152
Are you pic related, or what?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.