[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this /biz/ approved?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (551 KB, 1020x896) Image search: [Google]
image.png
551 KB, 1020x896
Is this /biz/ approved?
>>
>>1101483
It's a step in the right direction but that doesn't mean it's going to be prime for normies to make money.
>>
>>1101483
They're overpriced compared to competing smart wireless thermostats that have similar or better features. So while smart thermostats will save you money, no, Nest is not /biz/ approved.

They are /fa/ approved, however, because they're the best looking models out there. So if you have money to burn, you buy Nest.
>>
>>1101488
>>1101489
>>1101483

As opposed to what? People actually believe programmable/smart thermostats will save them money that is an amazing scam that has been created. All you need is a normal thermostat, great if you can control it wirelessly with a remote control, anything beyond that into the trash it goes.
>>
>>1101712
Nope.

The new generation of thermometers save you money automatically. They detect when you're in the house or not, and turn the thermostat on and off automatically. They connect to the internet and adjust based on present and forecasted weather conditions. They know when a room is lit by direct sunlight, and adjust accordingly. And they allow you to get rebates from your utility company during high usage days.

Not to mention, for those of us with houses large enough to have multiple thermometers, the ability to easily control usage in remotes parts of the house is invaluable.

>All you need is a normal thermostat
No one "needs" a smart thermometer faggot. The question is whether they can save you money. They can.

Stop posting about things when you have no fucking clue.
>>
>>1101805
This.
Bill Gates had this kind of shit installed in his house in the nineties to save him money. There's a basis behind it.
>>
>>1101811
>Bill Gates had this kind of shit installed in his house in the nineties to save him money.
No he did not. He installed that stuff in the 90's because it was cool technology. When you entered his house in those days you got a badge. That way the house could track you and if you played music it followed you around the house, even under the water in the pool.
>>
I'm sure it will be a hit with millennials that buy into the so called internet of things. Personally I like my old school, dumb, non-networked appliances, TV's etc.
>>
>>1101805
>The new generation of thermometers save you money automatically.
Prove it with data. Oh wait you can't, because you don't have measurements on your HVAC system separate from your electric bill because who does

>They detect when you're in the house or not, and turn the thermostat on and off automatically

And that saves you money how exactly? Are you away for a few days or a whole week? Sure I can see that, a normal person just turns their thermostat to 50 or in the 40s and leaves. You're away for the day of work and commute? It is highly questionable that it saves you money, most homes are as leaky as a barn and they adjust to outdoor temps in less than a hour, warming it back up or cooling it back down takes longer than it would take to just leave it on.

> They connect to the internet and adjust based on present and forecasted weather conditions.

Adjust how exactly? By 1 or 2 degrees?

> They know when a room is lit by direct sunlight, and adjust accordingly.

Bull fucking shit out the nose mouth and ass. HVAC units have two settings ON and OFF, the thermostat switches between those two, it doesn't know shit, it doesn't know if your house is getting sun or not, just because the area gets sun in their forecast doesn't mean you do on that room/house/street.

> for those of us with houses large enough to have multiple thermometers, the ability to easily control usage in remotes parts of the house is invaluable.

If you have a mcmansion then you're not really worried about saving money, you just get it to show it off.

> Stop posting about things when you have no fucking clue.
Then enlighten me on it faguette, explain to me without bullshit how it is that changing temperature of the thermostat will save you electric. Statistics on this subject are truly shit, I have been in $250000 homes that were so poorly insulated you can feel the drafts and I have been in $40000 double wide mobile homes that were so well insulated the hvac ran less than five mins.
>>
>>1102192
>separate from your electric bill
That's the only measurement that matters, and the only measurement I need. I fucking trivial to compare my current usage with the same month in past years. Guess what? My bills are lower now.

>warming it back up or cooling it back down takes longer than it would take to just leave it on.
The system learns exactly how long it takes, and makes the optimal decision for you. #rekt.

>it doesn't know if your house is getting sun or not
Yes it does. It has a photometer built in. #rekt.

>If you have a mcmansion then you're not really worried about saving money
Bad logic. Doesn't matter the size of the house. They either save you money or they don't. Idiot.

And btw, lots of medium sized hoes have multiple thermometers and/or furnace zones. Stop being a poorfag.

>Then enlighten me
Fuck you. Go read about them. There's only a million articles on the internet. Lazy ass poorfag bitch.
>>
>>1101805

When you think about it, it is truly a great scam, you have no way to know if it is working to save you money or not, all you have is an adjustment in comfort and that is really good, so makes you feel better by not fucking with your thermostat and you spent $250 on it and it looks pretty so it has to be good huh. If you go on nest and forums you'll a good number of people talking how they think it increased their consumption by 10%, it would be interesting to know how they came to that number.

At the cost of the device of $250, plus taxes and possible cost of installation if you can't do it, it would take a fucking long time to pay for itself if it worked, a better investment would be to insulate your house more properly, you'd get a faster and better return on your money through equity and reduction on energy bills, but it would cost you more money upfront.
>>
>>1102201
>you have no way to know if it is working to save you money or not
I look at my bills faggot. You know? Those thing that tell you how much stuff costs? They're lower now.

#rekt.
>>
>>1102201
>a better investment would be to insulate your house more properly

>He thinks you can insulate your house for $250.
Know how I know you're a poorfag non-homeowner?
>>
>>1102199
> There's only a million articles on the internet.
That is called sponsored content you faggot.

> #rekt
you need to be 18 to use this website child. grow the fuck up. get off the kool aid.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.