[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's my story: Been accepted to a top 5 (globally) university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_0103.jpg (51 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0103.jpg
51 KB, 500x750
Here's my story:

Been accepted to a top 5 (globally) university for a MSc in math. BUT, I have great job prospects right now. (130k USD starting, room for advancement, etc.) The job will not be there after my master's, and I'll be two years behind, I will have lost money, my soul will be crushed by academia. What do I do? Does having a MSc from such a 'big name' school really help me out in the long run? Or do I take the job? I worked my ass off in my undergrad to get relevant work experience in the hopes of not having to do a master's.
>>
Depends what you do with your learned skills.

Just like anything ever.

So, what are you going to do with those skills?
>>
>>1101368
I'm working with a quantitive group in biotech. Large genomic datasets, essentially. I would like to get into management (obviously) and away from nitty gritty day-to-day problem solving.
>>
>>1101377

So, what are you going to do with those skills?
>>
>>1101384
(Hopefully) impress people at a junior level with solid coding and results enough that I can eventually manage a team of researchers. I envision staying with this company. My work is mainly modelling and then programming to implement these models, as well as programming secondary tools to solve side issues
>>
>>1101389
chose the company. You are much better off with work experience than making connections at university. Later you can do another MSc, maybe not from a top 5 uni but honestly, no one will care about whether the uni where you got your MSc is a top 5 or just a top 10.

Btw I had the same choice (except it was not a top 5 uni) 4 years ago and I chose the job. Now I am earning 150K and I am very happy about my job, also got some certs since and I decided to skip MSc. Database Engineer guy here btw.
>>
>>1101389

So you're looking to gain some tech skills and management. You're probably unlikely to find either of those in a math masters. You can probably find ways to develop your coding skills in more specialized training (with more focus than a math program). The management skills will be conferred with more experience as a lead or maybe a business program...but in your case I wouldn't suggest this at all. Vie for lead roles.
>>
>>1101362
if you want money, take the job. If you would want to do an msc, do msc.

msc doesn't get you anything on your paycheck
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.