[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Becoming a mathematics teacher..Online?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: teacher.png (143 KB, 350x305) Image search: [Google]
teacher.png
143 KB, 350x305
I've always wanted to be a teacher (especially a math teacher) but I'm confined to a 9-5 job that offers little to no time to attend a traditional brick and mortar college, due to class schedules conflicting with my job schedule.

Now I understand I'd have to step foot inside a real school at SOME point, but how much could I get out of the way by attending an online college (accredited) where I could study and advance at my own pace?

>I'm asking for a recommendations in regards to reputable schools, what I should do and how, as well as any other information/advice any of you could give me.

Much thanks in advance.
>>
>>1100712
..Oh, also I forgot to mention that I have ZERO college under my belt. I would be starting from the very beginning. A high school diploma is all I have at the moment.
>>
Maths teacher here, this job is the graveyard for the unambitious.

I used to mock my Finance friends at Uni that aimed to work the 80h/week meme. They tell me at 8pm their firm provides them with dinner and a ride home. Sometimes, I stay till 8 doing various marking or data entry on inefficient systems because we "have to."

Basically, I'm studying for CFA so I don't pull the trigger. The irony.

Stay away, OP.
>>
>>1100797

I believe in a different type of investment.

Money buys things; we can all agree on that.

If I can teach others how to make money, then maybe/hopefully they'll spend that money on things that will benefit others, including myself, in the far but hopefully not too distant future.
>>
>>1100797
This. My dad wanted to teach history, ended up doing 25 years of math teaching. Wife left him after 20 years and now he gets cucked by his daughter. Svae your kids some embarrassment and teach English in a foreign country or math a university.
>>
>>1101218
>cucked by his daughter.

??

Please explain what you mean by this.
>>
>>1101218
>cucked by daughter

... You aren't supposed to have se... forget it.
>>
File: Fields Medal for me.jpg (124 KB, 682x560) Image search: [Google]
Fields Medal for me.jpg
124 KB, 682x560
>>1101218
>(i) cucked by his daughter
>(ii) wife left him

Q.E.D. his daughter is fucking his wife.
>>
Education is already overcrowded with recent graduates who do have a bachelor's, accreditation, and student teaching (basically interning) experience and are stuck subbing.

Your online "degree" with no student teaching would get your resume instantly trashed in favor of literally hundreds of more qualified candidates.

Blame the boomers who refuse to retire and open up positions for millenials.
>>
Try Teach For America op. But you are probably still gonna need a degree from an institution.

In the mean time see if you can tutor young kids.
>>
>>1100797

Why is it "the graveyard for the unambitious" according to you?
>>
>>1101218

Why do you say "wife" and "daughter" instead of "mom" and "sister" ?
>>
>>1102552
Except it's not. It is only overcrowded at desirable city schools. There's plenty of rural schools hiring and turnover rate can be quite high even though they only employ 10-30 teachers.
You just have to be willing to accept wages as a college graduate that a high school graduate could make doing anything else.
>>
>>1103004
A wise anon on /biz/ once said:

"Those who can (do internships), do (get nice jobs);
Those who can't (do internships), teach (before pulling the trigger on their heads)"

I mean, it's underpaid Zoo-keeping/glorified baby-sitting.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.