[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are many Congressmen multi-millionaires while they only make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: congress.jpg (14 KB, 288x175) Image search: [Google]
congress.jpg
14 KB, 288x175
How are many Congressmen multi-millionaires while they only make $174,000 a year?
>>
>>1100580
Book deals, 'speaker fees' (campaign contribution loophole desu), donors etc.
>>
>>1100580
>poorfag thinks that's their only income

Kek.
>>
The local rep (Darrell Issa) made a fortune in business then went into politics because why not. I would imagine that many of the millionaire congressmen made their money beforehand.
>>
>>1100582
>>1100584
I've heard that they invest in land when building projects "come through town"?
>>
>>1100592
Is it possible to go into politics then business?
>>
>>1100580
They're multi-millionaires, but they don't have to really pay for much as the government pays for everything for them.

Vacations are usually paid for because Congressmen/women can just say that they need money to take a trip to a certain area to have a better grasp in current matters. Along with companies/special interest lobbyists sending them to exotic areas, donating money and services, and spoiling them so they'd pass a certain bill that is favorable to the company in question.

Many of them can invest most of what they make every year and still live comfortably.
>>
our tax dollars = their income.
>>
>>1100603
What's the average price of their homes you would say?
>>
>>1100596
Possible yes, smart no. If by "into business" you mean starting a business, then it would be a pretty bad idea to attempt doing so while holding down another job
>>
>>1100596

they often shill for the corporations they plan to move to later
>>
>>1100580
They were rich before
>>
>>1100580

They make money before they go into politics. There aren't laws specifying what money they can take outside of their salary.

Personally, I think they should have to contribute a dollar to the treasury for every dollar above their salary they or someone affiliated with them spends on campaigning.

I'd get to hear less annoying ads that way.
>>
>>1100582
It's actually really hard for a congressman to get his hands on money to spend however he wants, and quid-pro-quo corruption isn't nearly as significant as people might think.

Like the rest of the anons have said, they get their money, THEN become Congressmen.

And for the record, probably not even half of representatives are that wealthy. The Senate is where the money is.
>>
>>1100632
>corruption isn't nearly as significant as people might think
After hearing how Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) operates I am convinced that there is so much corruption in the national system that it is hard to believe.
>>
>>1100635
Corruption has always thrived in certain local jurisdiction, and occasionally even at the state level, but it's very difficult to work at the national level.

This is especially true at a time where social media and technology exist such that there are considerably less secrets than there were.

The last time the national government was dangerously corrupt was the 20s. Now, Super PACs and what not are a different matter, but ultimately campaign contributions arne't quid pro quo.
>>
>>1100580
Tom of them become politicans after being rich.
>>
>>1100605
Right under half a million and up I'd suppose. Average? Idk
>>
>>1100580

Lobbyists have deep pockets
>>
>>1100635

It's not just Allegheny County. Pennsylvania is very corrupt at the state level as well.
>>
insider info
>>
they used to be exempt from insider trading laws
>>
Pro tip to get rich.
>become affluent
>go into politics
>you no longer have to worry about insider trading
>you literally can know and act on any political decision that will impact the economy and vote on it.

You don't honestly think lawyers go into politics to help people do you?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.