[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vertical Farming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: lookathemracks.jpg (208 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
lookathemracks.jpg
208 KB, 1024x768
What does /biz/ think? Is this a good idea for a businnes or is it just a meme?

I'm thinking of entering this market, producing food through hidroponics in a highly controlable environment for the plants (air, light, nourishment, etc) in order to increase efficiency. (aka Plant Factory). Do you think it's worth it?
>>
Just grow dope
>>
Some colleagues and I started the initial phases of drawing up a business plan for this stuff. One of them wants to base it off of DUDEWEED but im skeptical. He says because of US decriminalization, you can grow a lot of it, brand it, and sell it to dispensaries as your brand name weed.

Basically the most important part of your weed is brand name consistency. Like the Mcdonalds of weed. You buy some, you expect the same shit you could buy in New York, or Texas or Montana
>>
I am not interested in producting only one product like weed. what i'd like to do is to be able to compete against normal farming, creating more and better product for a cheaper price. The yields per area are at least 100x better than traditional farming. The problem is the very high initial investment and production costs.
>>
>>1099727
Energy/Hydro, water costs, climate control, pumping and nutrient costs.

Hydroponics have very thin margins. The value of the finished plants has to be high to offset the initial and ongoing costs. This is why peppers and hydro tomatoes are expensive (esp up here in cold ass canada)
>>
didnt google just recently pull out of vertical farming?

stating that they could not get certain crops like rice or something to do it well?
>>
>>1099697
Looks like a meme.

I doubt the savings from being able to keep more plants is going to be offset by the costs incurred from needing grow lamps and electricity to run them. It also makes moving and tending to them much more difficult.

The sun is cheap.
>>
>>1099697
Only worth it in cities, as then the transportation costs are low enough to compete with the agri conglomerates. K
>>
>>1099702
read peter thiel zero to one
100 pages, will save you a lot of money
>>
neckbeard bazinga bullshit

just like soylent or memecoins.
>>
>>1100068
Rice and grains, much more difficult than lettuce or pot.
>>
>>1100064
This shit right here. I grow in Alaska and it's not worth it financially. It's impossible to compete with outdoor growers. They have free sun OP. We only do it up here because a lot of shit wouldn't survive the nights outside up here.
>>
>>1099697
Well, if your farm is in/near a city, it has a higher selling point due to "freshness"
>>
>>1099697

>>1100064
This. Sun is free.

But it could work out if you can find a product which transports costs are higher than your energy cost. Maybe some kind of tropical fruit? This kind of product has to be flown in, which isn't cheap either, so there could be a gap for you to exploit.
>>
probably your best bet is to let the public come inside and pick the produce themselves in a big city
>>
>>1099697
Not while you still have arable land to farm. Why supply every single nutrient and bit of energy when the soil, sun, and rainfall supply most of it?
Plant the right stuff, and it'll even do most of the mineral concentrating itself.

Hydroponics/aeroponics is only going to be useful for orbital habitats.
>>
go to youtube and look at some of the commercial hydroponics farms. im sure you can become rich doing this. id say start small and just do simple fast growing crops like tomatoes and lettuce and maybe some herbs like basil
>>
>>1101315
hydro grow twice as fast and twice as big as soil crops in a much smaller space. you can also grow crops when they wouldn't normally be in season.
>>
>>1101315
>Not while you still have arable land to farm
http://world.time.com/2012/12/14/what-if-the-worlds-soil-runs-out/
>>
>>1099697
>Do you think it's worth it?
On Antartica or Mars. Hell yeah. Everywhere else, no, you will not be able to compete with earth, sun and rain.
>>
>>1100933
And get slammed with health violation fines? Nah Im good.
>>
>>1099697
hey Jon
>>
>>1101348
And yet, it's still cheaper to ship them in from Africa when they're not in season.

>>1101426
Soil can easily be recreated. Just a case of managing it properly.
Mind you, America's got a history of doing it wrong, considering that the midwest USED to be pretty fertile until all the soil blew away into the ocean.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.