[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one cope with student loan debt after college? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 155.jpg (65 KB, 615x257) Image search: [Google]
155.jpg
65 KB, 615x257
How does one cope with student loan debt after college? Is it really difficult?
I am going to be paying about 22k/yr for my university.
My university's average starting salary is $46,000.
Worst case scenario.. I don't get any scholarships or grants during college. Is the debt following graduation really going to handicap me financially? How long does it usually take to pay it off?
>>
>>1099072

You will be a slave to that debt and corporate america. Good luck.
>>
>>1099076
Thank you so much. You're so smart and aware and that's exactly the answer I was looking for.
>>
>>1099072
What are you majoring in?

Let's suppose you have 88k of debt (I seriously hope you're not stupid enough to do the 5 year undergrad meme)

Let's also suppose that you get an average salaried job and live in a moderate sized town in the midwest where the cost of living is around 1500 per month. Your take home is going to be around 2800 per month assuming no additional deductions.

In principle, you can put around 16K per year towards paying down student loan debt. Assuming no pay raises but likewise, you don't get a gf, get married, have kids, try to buy a house etc... you will be free of student loan debt in 5.5 years. But then again, I forgot about interest hopefully your salary rises faster than your debt interest, lol, so figure on having student loans for the better part of your 20's.

If I were you, I'd mitigate as follows
1) Work a job while in college and take the minimum amount possible on loan
2) Choose a field with better income/employability prospects chemical engineering, computer science/engineering, accounting, etc...
3) Don't get married young (you shouldn't be doing this anyway.)
>>
>>1099104
I'm on track for 3 years, so that'll help. And I'm majoring in environmental science, hoping to land a good internship in college and get hired by state government.
thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>1099104
This

Get rid of your debt as soon as possible
>>
>>1099072
there is a way to get your loan forgiven if you work for a non profit for ten years and make 120 minimum payments or something like that. What is your major? Realize that merely graduating is not enough to guarantee a great salary these days. Take out as few loans as possible, and work while you go to school in a way that wont hurt your grades. Have realistic expectations about employment after school. Doing what you love wont always be successful. Take a lesson from my aunt: She decides in her mid 40s to go to medical school. She graduates, but is unable to finish the residency, and so her degree is essentially useless. She is now 62 and 100k in debt. She will very likely die with nothing. Remember you cannot get rid of student loans through bankruptcy.
>>
>>1099072

>paying $22K a year for your university
I feel so sorry for you. Get whatever grants and scholarships you can apply for while in college.
>>
>>1099072
>I am going to be paying about 22k/yr for my university.
>My university's average starting salary is $46,000.
Why on earth are you going to that university? Go somewhere cheaper or somewhere that will give you more valuable skills.
>>
>>1100409
My thoughts. that's an expensive school for 40k a year.
>>
>>1099072
wtf why is your tuition so high. are you going out of state?

Also 70k final debt

46k * 33% disposable income =15k

70k debt is 4.2k interest and 60 month repayment period
14k in annual principal repayment.

Shortfall of 3.2k per year.

Congratulations OP you're insolvent on graduation.

So homeless for 3 months of the year or ramen year round for 5 years. your choice.
>>
>>1099072

Vote Bernie so other people can pay for your shit.
>>
Transfer to a public university
>>
>>1101543
once youre out of debt youll be paying for other people's shit

everything comes full circle
>>
My school is 30-35K a year and I'll be graduating in 4.5 years with ~32K debt @3.9-5%.

I didn't have a job during college and only payed $800-1K out of pocket a semester.
>not getting the taxpayers to pay for your school
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.